Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2016, 10:05 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,213,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
I never denied they were in violation of the letter of the law, but at the same time, comparing this to walking into a movie theater with money in your pocket (that's kept in your pocket) is just flawed, because in this case, the payment has already been made. It's just that the proof of payment wasn't presented.
You misunderstand. I'm claiming they are not in violation of the letter of the law. The law requires payment, not compliance with MTA policies on where to stick your Metrocard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2016, 06:58 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Paying money onto a Metro Card (unlimited or otherwise) does *NOT* equal paying one's fare for boarding a subway or bus. If it did why would the MTA bother putting in turnstiles and or other fare collection methods?
The turnstiles are there to collect payment for those that don't have an unlimited and to prevent those that have no metrocard from just walking in. SBS have no fare check upon entry, just fare inspectors that check for proof if paid. With a different fare system, an unlimited metro card itself could be proof of payment, say if the unlimited got printed "Unlimited" and the dates valid.

In many European cities, the validation machines are on the buses rather than on the bus stop; the entire system functions similar to SBS in the same of board anywhere no need for the driver to check. Those with transit cards don't get a receipt, they just tap their cards against a reader. The fare inspector can tell if your card has been tapped. San Francisco has a similar system.

Old 01-17-2016, 07:00 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
You misunderstand. I'm claiming they are not in violation of the letter of the law. The law requires payment, not compliance with MTA policies on where to stick your Metrocard.
But the law requires proof of payment, to the MTA having of an unlimited isn't sufficient proof only a receipt is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post

"No person shall obtain rail, subway, bus, air, taxi or any other public transportation service without payment of the lawful charge therefor. A person who shall be upon a rail transit vehicle and who shall lack proof of payment of the required fare shall be presumed to be in violation of this section."
Of course an unlimited card is clear proof, but the SBS fare inspectors don't have the means to tell if a metrocard is unlimited.

Old 01-17-2016, 09:26 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,213,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
But the law requires proof of payment, to the MTA having of an unlimited isn't sufficient proof only a receipt is.
The law requires payment. It says not having proof of payment on rail gives a presumption of violation. Rail specifically, not any other form of transportation. Also, it's only a presumption, not irrebuttable proof.

I don't say that you can win the case based on minor technicalities like not having actually violated the law; there ain't no justice in New York City. But I do say you haven't actually broken the law.

Old 01-20-2016, 10:29 AM

6,688 posts, read 6,033,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Don't think many of you are grasping the difference between possessing a valid MetroCard or whatever versus paying Select Bus fare. One has nothing to do with the other.

Saying you *had* a valid method of payment but didn't for various reasons is no different than someone "having" money to pay a taxi fare but didn't for whatever reason.

You cannot simply walk onto a regular bus without paying. All SB service has done is move the fare box from the bus to the street.

Persons have been arrested and processed for fare evasion by going through subway gates/turnstiles without paying even when they had a valid MC.
I understand your point, but mine is that I already paid for my fare - it's taken out of my paycheck every single month. The other things is that the MTA themselves realized that I had taken the subway earlier - precisely 20 minutes before I boarded the Select Bus - (as they were able to trace by the serial number on my metro card) so was entitled to a free transfer.

Why then do they bother to ask me to explain myself if they've already made their decision?

Old 01-20-2016, 01:55 PM

42 posts, read 53,054 times
Everyone can say that and have that argument unfortunately

Old 01-20-2016, 02:40 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,237,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
I understand your point, but mine is that I already paid for my fare - it's taken out of my paycheck every single month. The other things is that the MTA themselves realized that I had taken the subway earlier - precisely 20 minutes before I boarded the Select Bus - (as they were able to trace by the serial number on my metro card) so was entitled to a free transfer.

Why then do they bother to ask me to explain myself if they've already made their decision?
What part do you NOT understand that your did not have proof of payment for the bus you just entered!

"Customers will be issued a proof-of-payment receipt, or ticket, which they must hold during their trip to show to an inspector who may be riding the bus or at a bus stop."

You did not have that proof so you were given a ticket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City