Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2016, 04:56 AM

931 posts, read 801,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
There are more white people on welfare than minorities. This stigma is tired.
And there are more white liberals than black so whats your point????

This isn't a race issue, its a moral issue that welfare negatively affects these people. Complacency is the keyword!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2016, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Proportionate to population, that's not true

However, only a small percentage of people in general are on welfare, so I do agree the stigma is tired. If you count food stamps/EBT as welfare, it's still only a minority of any given ethnicity that uses it. It's also worth noting that a higher percentage of whites are on EBT than Latinos, I wonder if Trump supporters would ever admit that.
More whites are obviously on welfare than blacks because there are more whites than blacks in this country. But if you look at the percentage recipients on welfare within each demographics, you'd notice more blacks are on welfare than whites.

But this isn't a race issue, the point is that welfare, while useful as a short term public safety net if one is a go getter and bounces back. But the sad reality of welfare that this temporary public safety net has turned in a public hammock where the majority (not all) of people on it become lazy and complacent and never get off it. This includes black, white and brown people hence not a race issue.

Old 01-15-2016, 05:27 AM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post
Hey I wanted to start off saying I am not trying to offend anyone and I am of Puerto Rican descent myself. However I have heard more than once about how politicians brought blacks and Puerto Ricans into New York City by offering them welfare. Is this true or is this a myth? I cannot find any information on the internet with the exception of I think one or two posts I found here on cd. I know that Blacks and Puerto Ricans arrived to New York City to find factory jobs at around the same time when these jobs were starting to disappear but I don't know if them being enticed by welfare is true or not.
You think the Irish and Italian interests in NYC would have stood for a political move as specific as that? That political battle would have big ink in the newspapers, if not blood in the streets.

Old 01-15-2016, 06:23 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,928,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allpro123 View Post
Democrats like to buy votes by giving such people free stuff. It's called the Welfare State. Once you accept these free things, the democrat party has you under control as they have created a life-long democrat voter. A huge disservice to this demographic as the majority of these people will forever be stuck in the same socioeconomic environment.

Democrats like to "give a man fish" while Republicans prefer to "teach a man to fish".

Besides how can these people vote against Santa Clause (the democrat party)?

Please disregard the above. Extreme right-wing propaganda.

See how it works ?

Old 01-15-2016, 06:24 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,928,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xTiberiusx View Post
Says the Hillary and Bernie Sanders supporter.

Harlem Resident, please read up on the founding fathers and educate yourself. You need some serious enlightenment. Good night and God Bless America

Really ? How do you know ?

More crystal ball-ism ?

Likely, people are taking notice of the rather scary closed-mindedness. Which is good.
Please do keep going.

Old 01-15-2016, 09:57 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,478,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
There are also 5 year limits on cash assistance and to get cash assistance coming in you have to be seriously going out for a job or job training. The only people who can get long term government assistance in cash without looking for work are those on disability. I think a lot of right wingers forget that in the 90s Clinton signed the Republican welfare reform into law.
True, it's not like every poor person could get free money just for being poor like many seem to think
Quote:
More whites are obviously on welfare than blacks because there are more whites than blacks in this country. But if you look at the percentage recipients on welfare within each demographics, you'd notice more blacks are on welfare than whites.

But this isn't a race issue, the point is that welfare, while useful as a short term public safety net if one is a go getter and bounces back. But the sad reality of welfare that this temporary public safety net has turned in a public hammock where the majority (not all) of people on it become lazy and complacent and never get off it. This includes black, white and brown people hence not a race issue.
Regarding your first paragraph, I made that point already

Old 01-15-2016, 10:13 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,401,825 times
More whites are on welfare, so who gaf?

Old 01-15-2016, 10:28 AM

675 posts, read 1,256,280 times
Corporate welfare certainly isn't a myth that's for sure and you best believe the vast majority of its rich recipients are not black/brown...

Old 01-15-2016, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Brown View Post
Corporate welfare certainly isn't a myth that's for sure and you best believe the vast majority of its rich recipients are not black/brown...
Don't mistake "corporate welfare" to incentives given to businesses to create jobs/opportunities, etc.

Old 01-15-2016, 10:43 AM

675 posts, read 1,256,280 times
Quote:
Don't mistake "corporate welfare" to incentives given to businesses to create jobs/opportunities, etc.
Sure not
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: