Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 09:00 PM

18,889 posts, read 13,776,530 times

Advertisements

Again, shaming has nothing to do with it, at least for me. They can do whatever the hell they want as long as their nonsense remains far, far away from me and mine. But don't ask good people to accept such behavior as normal, force subject us to it, and all the while call us racist for being adverse to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2016, 10:49 PM

16,200 posts, read 22,955,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxx View Post
The majority of Black students that I've had came from married parents.

All of my black female coworkers...MARRIED. One in particular, it seems like she's always going to weddings.

In college, a professor said that "black men aren't with their families." A black female student replied, "all of my brothers are with their wives."

Yes, there is a PROBLEM with assuming any black child comes from a single parent household.
The only blacks I know of getting married are those who went to college and or career oriented. Also blacks that I know that get married tend to be older and not young. Their trends of blacks and marriage are on par with whites to some extent. But the fact of truth is 70% of blacks are not married.

Old 01-18-2016, 10:53 PM

16,200 posts, read 22,955,861 times
Quote:
I stated that blacks leavings their communities after newly found "success" as a contributing factor to deterioration was noted even before the 1960s by many people. Today that would be more of a flight to suburban areas.

And yes shaming poor people, bashing single mothers, and the formerly incarcerated is expected during discussions such as these.
ITs not only black flight, but other nuances that contribute to the decline of community or society as a whole such as marginlization, alienation, geography, transportation, economics and so forth. I hope you know that there are wealthy and stable middle class neighborhoods that exist in this country that you would never ever hear about.

Old 01-19-2016, 07:50 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,512,033 times
Quote:
You know exactly why people assume it's only a black and Latino issue.

I made the point because of that assumption which I probably don't have to explain.

I'm all for active parenting.

Otherwise known as... parenting.

You can be a "parent" as in the noun without doing any actual parenting. Plenty of that around.

If you are parenting - then it is already active. Its something you actually do, not some passive label just because you had sex that resulted in a child.

Old 01-19-2016, 08:31 AM

4,436 posts, read 7,646,566 times
Did anyone read the writer's sister's response at the end.......?

Old 01-19-2016, 09:09 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,176,623 times
Lame if you ask me. What did he expect? It's well known new teachers get thrown to the wolves. They get put in the roughest schools.

Old 01-19-2016, 09:22 AM

33,545 posts, read 46,891,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Lame if you ask me. What did he expect? It's well known new teachers get thrown to the wolves. They get put in the roughest schools.
This is true but I couldn't imagine going through that every day. With that being said, I am admittedly an optimist. I believe that anybody can be reached as long as you speak their language.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-19-2016, 12:44 PM

31,682 posts, read 26,569,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
This is true but I couldn't imagine going through that every day. With that being said, I am admittedly an optimist. I believe that anybody can be reached as long as you speak their language.

Poor little maroons, so trusting, so naïve....

These "white bread" upper class to wealthy young or second career adults go into teaching all wide eyed about making a "difference" and "giving back". Perhaps from recalling one to many ABC After School Specials or similar entertainment from 1970's television like Welcome Back Mr. Kotter. In most instances they are soon disabused of any such notions and often are fleeing for the doors in < one year.

IIRC even Teach America loses a large share of newly trained educators in less than two years.

Old 01-19-2016, 12:49 PM

33,545 posts, read 46,891,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Poor little maroons, so trusting, so naïve....

These "white bread" upper class to wealthy young or second career adults go into teaching all wide eyed about making a "difference" and "giving back". Perhaps from recalling one to many ABC After School Specials or similar entertainment from 1970's television like Welcome Back Mr. Kotter. In most instances they are soon disabused of any such notions and often are fleeing for the doors in < one year.

IIRC even Teach America loses a large share of newly trained educators in less than two years.
So what type of attitude are they expected to have entering this new environment, in your opinion? You don't get into teaching to own your own private jet one day...

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-19-2016, 01:02 PM

675 posts, read 1,252,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Well, there's always this:

CNN's Don Lemon says more than 72 percent of African-American births are out of wedlock | PolitiFact

...to explain why it's safe to assume that any given black child comes from a single-mother household. I'm just a dumb racist, but 73% is an ungly number by any measure.
Being born out of wedlock does NOT mean the father is absent from the child's life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: