U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2008, 01:08 PM

2 posts, read 5,424 times

Advertisements

Hi, I currently live in Long island and work near Grand Central, the commute is killing me. Can someone please give me any recommendations on where to move to? I would like the commute to be under an hour, in a nice safe neighborhood - preferrably 2 bdrm. I also have a 15lb dog. Thanks!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2008, 01:18 PM

2,954 posts, read 11,834,425 times
It's hard to make any suggestions without a sense of your price range, whether you're thinking city or suburb, etc., if parking is an issue.

Since the LIRR won't go to Grand Central for at least another 5 years, the obvious choice outside the city is to look in Westchester. There are a lot of places with trains that get you directly to Grand Central via Metro North. Larchmont, for example, is about 35 minutes to GCT. White Plains is 30-50 mins depending on the train.

Within the city there are places in Manhattan along the 4/5/6 lines (e.g. Upper East Side, Union Square), Brooklyn has some nice areas along the 4 and 5 as well, and the 7 train runs into Queens.

Need more info to be more helpful.

Old 02-06-2008, 01:21 PM

82 posts, read 535,595 times
I worked across from Grand Central and lives on UES. It still took about 30-35 minutes by subway to get to work. 4,5,6 is always crowded but it's better to be on the east side and have a direct commute down to GC.

Old 02-06-2008, 01:22 PM

2 posts, read 5,424 times
I would prefer a more suburban neighborhood than city. As for price range, no more than $2,500.

We have two cars right now, so we would need parking for them.

Where in Brooklyn, Queens or Westchester would you recommend?

Thanks!

Old 02-06-2008, 01:27 PM

307 posts, read 2,461,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by needapartment View Post
I would prefer a more suburban neighborhood than city. As for price range, no more than $2,500.

We have two cars right now, so we would need parking for them.

Where in Brooklyn, Queens or Westchester would you recommend?

Thanks!

I heard Astoria, Queens is nice, pretty safe and affordable. And it's not to far away from GC. you would have to take the N train to 59th st. and than transfer with the 4,5 or 6. But I would prefer the express train.

Old 02-06-2008, 01:28 PM

10,630 posts, read 17,981,519 times
You could find something good in White Plains in Westchester for that price. White Plains is a very easy commute to Grand Central and has a "cityish" vibe, but is still suburban, and there's shopping and a decent nightlife.

Old 02-06-2008, 01:31 PM

2,806 posts, read 15,913,942 times
Yeah I would reccomend White Plains or alternatively New Rochelle.

Good area and you should be able to find a 2 br for under $2,500. Decent ammount of stuff to do, and its somewhat suburban in that you can drive your car around everywhere (lots of municipal garages in White Plains).

White Plains actually has probably the best commuter rail access to the city. During rush hour trains are leaving about every 10 minutes. It takes 35 minutes on an express train to get from White Plains to Grand Central.

Old 02-06-2008, 02:59 PM

2,954 posts, read 11,834,425 times
White Plains has become quite a nice downtown area and it's a fun place to be while still having many quiet suburban streets. But if you want suburban and under 2500 you could also check out just about any towns along the three Metro North lines in Westchester from Tarrytown, White Plains, or Port Chester in to GCT, respectively.

MTA Metro-North Railroad

Within that area the places that are more urban and have some urban problems are: parts of Yonkers, much of Mt. Vernon, parts of downtown New Rochelle, and Port Chester. The rest of the towns are more suburban villages, mostly very nice. A few, like Bronxville and Scarsdale, are very expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City