Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 04:46 PM

3 posts, read 4,251 times

Advertisements

Out of touch, hardly. Just simply pointing out the reality. When purchasing RE and the overwhelmingly first question on this board is, "Is it safe"? That's being out of touch. Out of touch with civilized living. What causes this feeling of being unsafe?
But when folks are saying hey Foster and Nostrand, ok, but don't go to Newkirk and Nostrand (that's one block away). That's out of touch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2011, 06:12 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwood1952 View Post
Out of touch, hardly. Just simply pointing out the reality. When purchasing RE and the overwhelmingly first question on this board is, "Is it safe"? That's being out of touch. Out of touch with civilized living. What causes this feeling of being unsafe?
But when folks are saying hey Foster and Nostrand, ok, but don't go to Newkirk and Nostrand (that's one block away). That's out of touch.
Quote:
I read a stat, not long ago, if you live in Brooklyn, anywhere in Brooklyn, you are within 45 seconds of a current home invasion. That should be sobering.
Yes, you are out of touch. Your stats about 45 seconds from a home invasion make no sense. Even if I try to guess what it means, I can't come up with even one possibility that makes any sense whatsoever.

Please cite your source next time you want to give an outlandish statistic and especially when you want to claim the statistic is "sobering"!

Old 02-22-2011, 03:21 AM

3 posts, read 4,251 times
Default Crime Stats from NYPD

Henna....

Just cited number from NYPD. Anyone who lives in Brooklyn and isn't aware of crime issues, gotta be drugs.

The Nat'l. crime level per square mile is 50 crimes per sq. mile. In Brooklyn 1,059 crimes per square mile. That's 21 times more likely, or 2100% above the Nat'l. avg.

Violent Crimes...Nat'l. Avg. 4 people per every 1,000. In Brooklyn, 7 ppl. per 1,000...That's close to double....

Tell you what you do...Tomorrow morning oh say about 1am you go to Newkirk and Nostrand by yourself, get on the subway and go to Wall St. No, you say. You would be nuts to do that, and why?????? End of Story.

Old 09-18-2012, 12:03 PM

14 posts, read 41,612 times
Default 4 years later update

As an update, I lived in the apartment for 4 years and recently subletted it to my tenants (moved to Queens). In terms of the building, it has improved. The neighborhood has its pluses and minuses.
Some Positives:
+ Less than a minute walk to the subway (2/5 trains provide east and west side NYC access)
+ Nearby Target
+ Bicycle ride to the Beach, Prospect Park, and Brooklyn Bridge
+ Some of the Caribbean food is great
+ Friendly neighbors

Some Negatives:
- At night it sometimes gets noisy (people yelling in the street)
- Unless you are with another person/guy, I would take a cab home after 10 pm
- People hanging out on the street

Overall, I plan to keep the apartment until it appreciates to a value I am willing to sell it at. Another future plus is that it will be about a 20 minutes train ride from the Barclays Center . Also, the area is being gentrified so overall its improving J

Old 09-18-2012, 04:51 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,814,176 times
If you don't mind, what makes you say that the area is "gentrifying"?

Old 09-18-2012, 04:54 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,814,176 times
Quote:
Henna....

Just cited number from NYPD. Anyone who lives in Brooklyn and isn't aware of crime issues, gotta be drugs.

The Nat'l. crime level per square mile is 50 crimes per sq. mile. In Brooklyn 1,059 crimes per square mile. That's 21 times more likely, or 2100% above the Nat'l. avg.

Violent Crimes...Nat'l. Avg. 4 people per every 1,000. In Brooklyn, 7 ppl. per 1,000...That's close to double....

Tell you what you do...Tomorrow morning oh say about 1am you go to Newkirk and Nostrand by yourself, get on the subway and go to Wall St. No, you say. You would be nuts to do that, and why?????? End of Story.
This is an OLD thread, and there really isn't any purpose, but I just gotta!

I did precisely that! Newkirk to Wall Street for a number of years. Suited down, tailored, French loafers, Baum & Mercier watch, etc. Not a problem!

So, people, why not talk more of what you KNOW, than what you DON'T KNOW!

Old 09-19-2012, 12:44 PM

14 posts, read 41,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
If you don't mind, what makes you say that the area is "gentrifying"?
The environment is changing. It is still primarily Carribean but other races, ethnicities, etc. are moving in and embracing the area...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City