Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2016, 07:20 AM

1,712 posts, read 2,891,915 times

Advertisements

Hey, what would you say are the general stereotypes of Caribbean-Americans in the New York area?

Bajans?

Cubans?

Dominicans?

Haitians?

Jamaicans?

Puerto Ricans?

Trini's?

Are some more success-oriented? Do some like to party more? Are some more violent than others? Are some more laid back? etc etc

Old 01-26-2016, 08:44 AM

28 posts, read 24,672 times
Nobody parties more then the Bajans...nobody

Old 01-26-2016, 09:42 AM

675 posts, read 1,252,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
Hey, what would you say are the general stereotypes of Caribbean-Americans in the New York area?

Bajans?

Cubans?

Dominicans?

Haitians?

Jamaicans?

Puerto Ricans?

Trini's?

Are some more success-oriented? Do some like to party more? Are some more violent than others? Are some more laid back? etc etc
Are you a West Indian yourself?

If yes then give some examples yourself
If no then explain why you would start a thread in regards to West Indian stereotypes instead of stereotypes of your own ethnicity

Old 01-26-2016, 10:05 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,185,576 times
A big cross section of people there. FWIW I have found that many times just among the English speaking Carribeans they don't even like to be compared or confused with each other. So this is gonna get interesting if we decide to go there...

Old 01-26-2016, 11:29 AM

1,207 posts, read 2,918,244 times
Just because one has an accent... Does not mean they are Jamaican..

Old 01-26-2016, 11:34 AM

104 posts, read 379,798 times
HaitianAmerican here and I don't find any of us fit any particular stereotype. We are just like every other group; some like to party, some work hard, others don't, etc. My parents fit one stereotype; they both held 2-3 jobs each at any given time. I have a career and only work one job. Who knows. WHo cares? We are like everyone else.

Haiti Cherie!

Old 01-26-2016, 11:38 AM

4,294 posts, read 4,401,224 times
They love to argue.

Old 01-27-2016, 01:24 AM

1,952 posts, read 1,288,351 times
Hatians are hard workers that never turn down overtime. i swear of the lot, I am most likely to find Hatians with more than one job. At work they don't want to talk about the weather or chit chat. They want to know if overtime was issued yet. kudos to them!!

Nobody parties like trinis. Every reason is a reason to party. God gave us a new day, lets have a breakfast party. You bought a new igloo? Lets have a cooler fete. There has been an increase in violence and the Govt has declared a state of emergency? No problem !! Hurry up and get here after work . Trinis are having a curfew party. Boat rides every weekend because just posting TGIF on Facebook just won't do. Carnival is next Feb 2017? Lets have a million band launches and all inclusive fetes to prepare starting March of 2016.

All the other islands are parishes or towns within Jamaica.
Still trying to figure out why are there so many second generation Puerto Ricans who speak no or very poor Spanish. But just keep on making coquitos and you don't have to speak at all. We are good!

Trinis and Guyanes (I know they are technically SA) drink the most out of the bunch. Like how do you drink a cup of puncheon and not die?! I once had a sip and my liver punched me and told me not to ever do that again!
80% of Jamaicans are from Kingston and behave and speak like the ones seen on gun hill rd., Flatbush and Utica.

Greneda is more famous for it's medical schools popular with Americans than for the local culture and people. They stay under the radar.

Last edited by LOVEROFNYC; 01-27-2016 at 01:45 AM..

Old 01-27-2016, 05:29 AM

544 posts, read 1,232,270 times
Haitians love working...more and more overtime please! ok...that's all i got

Old 01-28-2016, 05:59 PM

292 posts, read 700,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post

Bajans?

Cubans?

Dominicans?

Haitians?

Jamaicans?

Puerto Ricans?

Trini's?

You forgot about the natives of Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Antigua & Barbuda, Belize, Grenada, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Anguilla, The Virgin Islands, etc. We are all not the same if you want to get into stereotypes. But I guess only popular islands matter the most...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City