Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 01:26 PM

14 posts, read 15,201 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I'm an almost-24 young professional making approximately 45-50k at the moment and living in a subletted room in Inwood. I'm really not too uncomfortable, but I'd love to make the switch to a 1 bedroom apartment as I have an extremely hectic work schedule/life and really just need my refuge at home.

I'm very simple, especially as far as millenials go. I don't go out a lot or care about night life, I'd prefer to be a bit out of the way of all the hustle/bustle of the city, and my expectations aren't insane. If the best advice is to just wait in the very cheap room I have and aim for a 1Br when I make more money, I'm willing to take that. I have a cat.

My wish list is more or less:
1 Bedroom
Transport Accessible (30-1 hr commute to Columbus Circle)
Decently quiet/residential/"suburban" neighborhood
Cat friendly
Under 1500

My work is at Columbus Circle, so that's really the only area I need to commute to.

Neighborhoods I've been eyeing include Inwood, Washington Heights, Riverdale, Marble Heights, Astoria, LIC, Jamaica, and Bay Ridge, but I'm willing to consider different options in and out of the city. Any advice is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2016, 01:33 PM

107 posts, read 219,257 times
Kingsbridge.

Riverdale may be a long walk to the subway

Old 01-25-2016, 01:34 PM

436 posts, read 564,791 times
Forget Astoria and LIC. Look somewhere deeper in Queens but still close enough to the 7/E,F,M, R. There's no need to go as far out as Jamaica; you'll thank me later for that suggestion.

Old 01-25-2016, 01:35 PM

4,766 posts, read 6,553,167 times
Can't you stay in Inwood for that amount of money? If you like the neighborhood, and it sounds as if it's super convenient for you, why not? Could you forgo an elevator? Those buildings tend to be cheaper.

Last edited by macnyc2003; 01-25-2016 at 01:43 PM..

Old 01-25-2016, 01:37 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,469,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brxite View Post
Kingsbridge.

Riverdale may be a long walk to the subway
yeah I saw a listing for a 1BR in Kingsbridge for about 1000 a month, I like the neighborhood

Old 01-25-2016, 01:52 PM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmageddon42 View Post
Hello all,

I'm an almost-24 young professional making approximately 45-50k at the moment and living in a subletted room in Inwood. I'm really not too uncomfortable, but I'd love to make the switch to a 1 bedroom apartment as I have an extremely hectic work schedule/life and really just need my refuge at home.

I'm very simple, especially as far as millenials go. I don't go out a lot or care about night life, I'd prefer to be a bit out of the way of all the hustle/bustle of the city, and my expectations aren't insane. If the best advice is to just wait in the very cheap room I have and aim for a 1Br when I make more money, I'm willing to take that. I have a cat.

1 Bedroom
Cat friendly
Under 1500

My work is at Columbus Circle, so that's really the only area I need to commute to.

Neighborhoods I've been eyeing include Inwood, Washington Heights, Riverdale, Marble Heights, Astoria, LIC, Jamaica, and Bay Ridge, but I'm willing to consider different options in and out of the city. Any advice is appreciated.
Check out Bedford Park.

Old 01-25-2016, 01:57 PM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmageddon42 View Post
Hello all,

1 Bedroom
Cat friendly
Under 1500

Check out Bedford Park.

Inwood is nice but it is one of the most overpriced neighborhoods in the whole city because it's in Manhattan but it might as well be in The Bronx.You pay a premium to have a NY,NY address but you are just as far away as much of The Bronx.

Old 01-25-2016, 02:03 PM

14 posts, read 15,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
Can't you stay in Inwood for that amount of money? If you like the neighborhood, and it sounds as if it's super convenient for you, why not? Could you forgo an elevator? Those buildings tend to be cheaper.
It's definitely still my top choice, but I wanted to make sure I'm not overlooking anything.

I was worried about what Bluedog said as well, that I may be better off going another stop or two into the Bronx.

Definitely can go without an elevator, definitely looking for walk-up bargains.

Old 01-25-2016, 02:16 PM

555 posts, read 616,736 times
Jackson Heights, near Astoria/LIC, but much more reasonably priced.

Old 01-25-2016, 05:45 PM

988 posts, read 1,739,434 times
You should try Midwood in Brooklyn; from your criteria, seems like could be a good fit for you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: