Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 06:42 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
Well the thing is if she won a new apartment, someone else would win her old apartment so its not like its taking away an affordable apartment.

I do however agree with you, be happy you won an affordable apartment. Don't be greedy, appreciate what you have.

Yeabut your friend's apartment won't be fresh, but all used and lived in..... *LOL*

There is nothing like moving into a brand new home/apartment, sort of like the difference between a new car versus used. Hahaha.....

Old 01-29-2016, 06:47 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,238,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Yeabut your friend's apartment won't be fresh, but all used and lived in..... *LOL*

There is nothing like moving into a brand new home/apartment, sort of like the difference between a new car versus used. Hahaha.....
Yes I moved into 2 bed new apartments and lived in 2 other almost new apartments. So I get it.
Then of course I lived in many old old apartments, like the one I'm in now

Old 01-31-2016, 06:18 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times

I've done it and found a LOT of things needed to be taken care of. A lot of quirks come with "new" construction.
Examples: a tiny hole was punched onto the cold water line by a drywall screw...drip, drip, drip eventually destroying the drywall that they replaced without catching the leak and then again, same thing. (Soda cans and lunch bags left between the walls.)

Tilers washed refuse down the tub drain...it took at least 5 snakings to get the tub to drain properly. After each shower I ended in water to mid calf.

Popcorn ceiling, not painted over, rained white dust...I pray no asbestos, but it was 1987 construction so probably not.

Improperly glued wallpaper curled.

Doors swelled shut on a humid day.

Black glue worked it's way through seams in parquet floor. Lots of scrubbing with mineral spirits.

(Letting a previous tenant break in a new apartment has its advantages.)

Old 01-31-2016, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
[i][u]

Doors swelled shut on a humid day.
One of my closets does this. One day I almost broke it as I was screaming "please open, I need shoes so I can go to work." I was in between tears and anger. A good 45 minutes later after using some tool I got it open, grabbed my shoes and ran out the door.

Old 03-26-2016, 02:44 PM

107 posts, read 246,133 times
Quote:
Well the thing is if she won a new apartment, someone else would win her old apartment so its not like its taking away an affordable apartment.

I do however agree with you, be happy you won an affordable apartment. Don't be greedy, appreciate what you have.
My husband and I won a 1bd 3 years ago, we recently welcomed a baby boy and are trying to win a 2bd apartment. Do you really think its unfair?
We are both teachers...

Old 03-26-2016, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nychh View Post
My husband and I won a 1bd 3 years ago, we recently welcomed a baby boy and are trying to win a 2bd apartment. Do you really think its unfair?
We are both teachers...
Well you have a 1 bedroom and now 3 people. Sure a 2 bedroom would be nice but many others could use a 2 bedroom that have larger families that are without affordable housing or living in shelters.
By all means kept trying but realize to some developments you many not be first on their list as you already have affordable housing.
As long as you are grateful for what you have that what matters. Too many people feel entitled to get something. After all you knew you lived in an affordable housing 1 bedroom and choose to have a child. If you can get a larger apartment great but if not be happy with the one you got or move out and pay market rate for a 2 bedroom.

Old 03-26-2016, 06:25 PM

1,521 posts, read 1,817,544 times
im confused you can't make more than 30k a year ?!

Old 03-26-2016, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgr555 View Post
im confused you can't make more than 30k a year ?!
Depends what apartment type you are applying for

Old 03-27-2016, 08:06 AM

107 posts, read 246,133 times
Quote:
Well you have a 1 bedroom and now 3 people. Sure a 2 bedroom would be nice but many others could use a 2 bedroom that have larger families that are without affordable housing or living in shelters.
By all means kept trying but realize to some developments you many not be first on their list as you already have affordable housing.
As long as you are grateful for what you have that what matters. Too many people feel entitled to get something. After all you knew you lived in an affordable housing 1 bedroom and choose to have a child. If you can get a larger apartment great but if not be happy with the one you got or move out and pay market rate for a 2 bedroom.

We are very happy in the 1bd but are trying to get the best for our child.

When we got the apartment we have been told that once we have a baby we can apply for an upgrade but now they change their story and said we cannot, if we knew from the begging that we wont be able to get an upgrade we would have never moved to 1bd.

If people choose to live in 2bd apartment with 5 kids this is their choose and not mine. We are both teachers and we have seen kids who lives 5 people in a studio, I could never understand why people do that to their kinds, but again this is their chose and not mine. By the way those kids are miserable

Old 03-31-2016, 12:42 PM

19 posts, read 28,558 times
Quote:
And if they are not grateful what's it to you? These are 2 professionals who have outgrown their apartment.
They pay taxes like the rest of us. And these apartments are not being made available out of the goodness of corporate America's heart. The developers are clearly getting something out of it. Hopefully THEY are just as grateful.
Good luck to this couple and their baby. Hopefully you find an apartment that makes you happy for years to come. And as teachers, we as a society should gratefully be handing you the best apartments. The future of our kids are in your hands.
Good luck and all the best!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: