Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 04:17 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by buff430 View Post
And if they are not grateful what's it to you? These are 2 professionals who have outgrown their apartment.
They pay taxes like the rest of us. And these apartments are not being made available out of the goodness of corporate America's heart. The developers are clearly getting something out of it. Hopefully THEY are just as grateful.
Good luck to this couple and their baby. Hopefully you find an apartment that makes you happy for years to come. And as teachers, we as a society should gratefully be handing you the best apartments. The future of our kids are in your hands.
Good luck and all the best!

Can you hear yourself? Self entitlement just drips off every word of that post.

Do not know the poster in question and her husband/family so cannot comment besides generalities about them being good persons and so forth. However to continue dragging the developer into this and throwing up tax abatements/conditions of 80/20 scheme their faces is just wrong.

Leave us be clear; developer did what they were supposed to do and this person "won" an subsidized apartment. Now based upon a change in familial circumstances the couple request another such unit. Fair enough long as the request is just that. There are persons who would have been happy with their first lottery win and considered themselves blessed. How long is the developer supposed to be on the hook?

It is attitudes like this which are part of reasons developers don't want to get in bed with city affordable housing schemes. It is like RS deja vu all over again.

Old 03-31-2016, 05:30 PM

19 posts, read 28,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Can you hear yourself? Self entitlement just drips off every word of that post.

Do not know the poster in question and her husband/family so cannot comment besides generalities about them being good persons and so forth. However to continue dragging the developer into this and throwing up tax abatements/conditions of 80/20 scheme their faces is just wrong.

Leave us be clear; developer did what they were supposed to do and this person "won" an subsidized apartment. Now based upon a change in familial circumstances the couple request another such unit. Fair enough long as the request is just that. There are persons who would have been happy with their first lottery win and considered themselves blessed. How long is the developer supposed to be on the hook?

It is attitudes like this which are part of reasons developers don't want to get in bed with city affordable housing schemes. It is like RS deja vu all over again.
As opposed to generalizing them some how scheming the system? Or in anyway being ungrateful? They are applying for another apartment and if they get in, another individual will be moving into their current apartment. If the developer chooses not to get in bed with affordable housing schemes then good for them. That is their choice. Nobody is being forced on either side. I don't know where the self entitlement comes in. The developer did what they were suppose to do ( I don't know them, but I will give them the benefit of the doubt) and this couple ( who I don't know/ but giving the same benefit) needs a larger apartment for a growing family. And so they are applying for a larger apartment in a different development. If they are fortunate they will get in.
It's not an either/or proposition. The developers I'm sure are doing fine. If they weren't getting something out of it, they would have stopped this program a looooooong time ago.

Old 03-31-2016, 06:09 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buff430 View Post
As opposed to generalizing them some how scheming the system? Or in anyway being ungrateful? They are applying for another apartment and if they get in, another individual will be moving into their current apartment. If the developer chooses not to get in bed with affordable housing schemes then good for them. That is their choice. Nobody is being forced on either side. I don't know where the self entitlement comes in. The developer did what they were suppose to do ( I don't know them, but I will give them the benefit of the doubt) and this couple ( who I don't know/ but giving the same benefit) needs a larger apartment for a growing family. And so they are applying for a larger apartment in a different development. If they are fortunate they will get in.
It's not an either/or proposition. The developers I'm sure are doing fine. If they weren't getting something out of it, they would have stopped this program a looooooong time ago.
Except for the fact a household that *never won* an 80/20 previously will not get the two bedroom in favour of one that did; meanwhile the now vacated one bedroom cannot be given to a family that needs a two due to occupancy restrictions on housing size. Thus your argument is not valid as someone does lose.

There is a reason why many contests restrict entry to those whom have not won previously within a set time period.

Old 03-31-2016, 07:21 PM

19 posts, read 28,558 times
There SHOULD be restrictions. I think the main reason for restrictions seems to be preventing individuals from jumping from development to development in order to upgrade. If one is fortunate enough to land one of these apartments, they better be satisfied. But the wording is clear that one would be denied if they lived in an 80/20 development in "appropriate-size" unit. So for a growing family it would no longer be appropriate sized. I understand what you say about people who have never won a housing lottery. But I think this is more about immediate need. You can live in a one bedroom with a baby when they're still an infant. But as they grow the needs of that family will seriously change. Now to be honest, the odds of them getting another apartment are long. I mean loooooooooong. If they are that lucky good for them. I think for the most part the lottery is as fair as it can be and if they see something is not working, or seriously unfair hopefully they are flexible enough to change the rules.

Old 04-13-2016, 10:57 AM

18 posts, read 35,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
Well you have a 1 bedroom and now 3 people. Sure a 2 bedroom would be nice but many others could use a 2 bedroom that have larger families that are without affordable housing or living in shelters.
By all means kept trying but realize to some developments you many not be first on their list as you already have affordable housing.
As long as you are grateful for what you have that what matters. Too many people feel entitled to get something. After all you knew you lived in an affordable housing 1 bedroom and choose to have a child. If you can get a larger apartment great but if not be happy with the one you got or move out and pay market rate for a 2 bedroom.

Exactly! This is the same poster going on other forums and complaining about all the "Arabs" living in her building and acting condescending to my family because we live in a one bedroom. Mind you, she already has affordable housing and wants the city to accommodate her and her husband because she got knocked up and had a kid. Don't mean to sound cruel but it's the truth. Welcome to NYC. Lifelong New Yorkers like myself, know all too well how it is to double up with family and you make it work to the best of your abilities and be grateful that you have a place PERIOD! I was here, when your neck of the woods was not so pretty...remember that....be EXTREMELY GRATEFUL! Scary part is she's a teacher, so was my mother for 35 years here in NYC...so don't expect the pity party to kick in for you because there are people on here in WAY worse shape than you, who work hard and deserve the opportunity. You can always move somewhere else...no one keeping you in your apartment but you. But God bless your baby and I hope you wisen up on your thought process and how you speak to people in the future. It's worrisome that someone with that mindset is teaching our kids.

Old 04-13-2016, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nychh View Post
We are very happy in the 1bd but are trying to get the best for our child.

When we got the apartment we have been told that once we have a baby we can apply for an upgrade but now they change their story and said we cannot, if we knew from the begging that we wont be able to get an upgrade we would have never moved to 1bd.

If people choose to live in 2bd apartment with 5 kids this is their choose and not mine. We are both teachers and we have seen kids who lives 5 people in a studio, I could never understand why people do that to their kinds, but again this is their chose and not mine. By the way those kids are miserable
You're all types of an idiot and a teacher who can't even spell. My four year old can articulate better than you. Whose kids are miserable? Not mine. All my children are wonderful. My 2 little ones are in gifted and talented. My oldest has a 4 year scholarship to NYU, so get your facts straight and stop generalizing the entire populace of NYC based on your situation. You got pregnant, had a kid...OH WELL! Not anyone's concern but yours. Women get knocked up everyday and manage, where do you fit in as special? You are on all the boards whining about log #'s and how no one is "accommodating" your situation. Too bad...it's life. Be grateful that you have a pot to p*&$ in and stop judging others when you have no clue about anyone's life. MOVE and Commute like everyone else. Stop talking like your better than the rest because you're in the same situation as us. Stop making racist comments about your neighbors. Wake up call...the market rent units are being brought by foreigners. Vote for Trump, maybe that will help you or go back to school because obviously you lack in the teaching skills.

You get no sympathy from me, especially when you decide to give unwanted advice or criticism about anyone's living situation or children. You just had a kid. I've been a mother going on 20 years. I had my son at 17, went to the military, college and here I am now and I am grateful for EVERYTHING. We may not have what we want...but we have what we need and there is more love in my little cramped apartment than you will EVER know. But hopefully after next week and my interview that I have been trying to get for over 5 years, my living situation will improve and I am grateful just for the opportunity.

Old 04-15-2016, 07:23 AM

107 posts, read 246,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenixf1re220 View Post
You're all types of an idiot and a teacher who can't even spell. My four year old can articulate better than you. Whose kids are miserable? Not mine. All my children are wonderful. My 2 little ones are in gifted and talented. My oldest has a 4 year scholarship to NYU, so get your facts straight and stop generalizing the entire populace of NYC based on your situation. You got pregnant, had a kid...OH WELL! Not anyone's concern but yours. Women get knocked up everyday and manage, where do you fit in as special? You are on all the boards whining about log #'s and how no one is "accommodating" your situation. Too bad...it's life. Be grateful that you have a pot to p*&$ in and stop judging others when you have no clue about anyone's life. MOVE and Commute like everyone else. Stop talking like your better than the rest because you're in the same situation as us. Stop making racist comments about your neighbors. Wake up call...the market rent units are being brought by foreigners. Vote for Trump, maybe that will help you or go back to school because obviously you lack in the teaching skills.

You get no sympathy from me, especially when you decide to give unwanted advice or criticism about anyone's living situation or children. You just had a kid. I've been a mother going on 20 years. I had my son at 17, went to the military, college and here I am now and I am grateful for EVERYTHING. We may not have what we want...but we have what we need and there is more love in my little cramped apartment than you will EVER know. But hopefully after next week and my interview that I have been trying to get for over 5 years, my living situation will improve and I am grateful just for the opportunity.
GET A LIFE HONEY.

GOOD LUCK WITH THE INTERVIEW, YOUR KIDS DESERVE BETTER THAT WHAT YOU GIVE THEM.

GOOD LUCK WITH THE therapy THEY WILL GET WHEN THEY GET OLDER

Old 04-15-2016, 07:56 AM

Quote:
GET A LIFE HONEY.

Oh yeah...and just a word of advice because you're real brave on the keyboard for future reference, keep other people's kids out your mouth. That would merit repercussions on any scale in person, ya dig!

Old 04-15-2016, 09:22 AM

Quote:
GET A LIFE HONEY.

Trust and believe my kids will be WAY better than yours! Because my husband and I work hard enough to assure their future. Get your life, straight..."honey"! Remember God don't like ugly. You are outright HORRENDOUS! My son has a 4.0 GPA at NYU and a 4 year scholarship. Both of my little ones are G&T, with my 4 year old taking classes at JULLIARD for piano with no OUTSIDE courses or help.....WE TAUGHT THEM. My kids are happy, thriving, and yes...love our home, you know the 1BR that is traumatizing their lives because we lucked out on an apt. that was rent controlled and which we have made beautiful for them. Why, because WE make it work as parents. That's OUR JOB! Not to b%tch and whine about what we don't have. They see us working hard. Especially my oldest, who I had at the age of 17. I never leeched off the system. I am a 3rd generation soldier, my MOTHER was NYC teacher for 35 years and a Vietnam Vet. My Grandfather was a WWII & Korean War Vet. Yeah you guessed it, LIFELONG New Yorkers, except for my Grandpa who came here from Puerto Rico in the 50's after the war for a better life. I went to the military and a great college, as a single mother. I beat Stage III Cancer, all the while taking care of a newborn. My husband is a phenom in itself. So my house is in order, will always be in order, and filled with LOVE. Come again....you think you know me? Girl...please! Your antics are petty, laughable, and redundant. If any of these words are too big for you...I can have my daughter school you. You know the 4 year old that will need therapy...LMAO!

I won't waste my time with peons like yourself, you are what is making MY CITY....that's right MY CITY...because I was born and raised in NYC, the way it is. TRUE Yorker, not entitled Millennial...who thinks the world owes you. I've seen MY CITY rise from crime and drug infestation. The WTC was my backyard (Lower East Side STRONG!!) and where you live now or are BLESSED to live now was laden with prostitution, drugs, and characters you have nightmares about...so shut your trap, stop popping out kids until your living situation improves, and be grateful like MANY teachers I know, who get up at 4am to get to their jobs for what you have.

Learn how to spell too. It's embarrassing that a school teacher has no comprehension of spell check and then you have the audacity to come at me sideways. You look crazy stupid, for real. My kids would call you out in heartbeat...the little ones, mind you. FOH...with that nonsense! Truth hurts....I'm good! Ok there, tough guy on the keyboard. Poor kid, are you going to teach him to stay away from the ARABS in your building because they're different or that he's "entitled" to everything. Looks like someone else is going to need therapy, bail or rehab money in the future. The teacher's union is good for that, but they support Trump...so you may get the "brown" side of the stick. Good luck with that though.... Don't hold your breath...

Last edited by Phoenixf1re220; 04-15-2016 at 09:30 AM..

Old 04-17-2016, 06:24 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Thread closed.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: