Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2016, 10:18 PM

3,210 posts, read 4,592,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post

I resent this because I dislike living or even being around them. I do not find them interesting. I refuse to move back downtown, to the place where I lived most of my life, for that reason.
Great cities don't shut their doors to certain people because you don't want to be around them. NYC will always have rich people, "transplants", fresh-out-of-college dreamers and the like no matter what. Gentrification even went on during the darkest periods of the 1970s (heck, I would argue NYC's rampant gentrification is a direct result of the city becoming so bad back then. NYC became so cheap that artists and yuppies simply poured in despite the decay. Something similar has happened in Berlin, which went broke in 2002)
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2016, 12:04 AM

205 posts, read 245,115 times
Poor people are called poor for a reason and not "cheap" as it translate in other languages, they are poor in personality, work ethic, education, etc. These people pretty much suck at everything.

Old 02-05-2016, 12:25 AM

1,824 posts, read 1,655,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSopp77 View Post
These people pretty much suck at everything.
Poor people suck?

Old 02-05-2016, 01:01 AM

4,294 posts, read 4,386,799 times
Why is she being referred to as a N****** ? She clearly looks white to me and coming from this guy N******s need to stick together both spanish and black.

This is what you call Street Knowledge....Dropping Science Farakkhan 8 percenters prison knowledge bull****.

Let me give it to him from a white man's perspective....

" Dude , you are totally tripping out. Mellow out man. "

Old 02-05-2016, 04:46 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,380,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
Why is she being referred to as a N****** ? She clearly looks white to me and coming from this guy N******s need to stick together both spanish and black.

This is what you call Street Knowledge....Dropping Science Farakkhan 8 percenters prison knowledge bull****.

Let me give it to him from a white man's perspective....

" Dude , you are totally tripping out. Mellow out man. "
It's commmon for people to use the n-word (ending with A) to refer to anyone

Old 02-05-2016, 06:06 AM

4,587 posts, read 2,569,551 times
And on train

Old 02-05-2016, 06:25 AM

16,200 posts, read 22,930,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
News flash - it's not just the uneducated.

In fact, I would argue that most of the transplants coming here for banking internships, clutching parental money, of course, are completely uneducated in anything that matters.

Unchecked real estate profiteering has made New York far less competitive because access to cash for which you yourself did absolutely nothing is currently the biggest determinant.

I resent this because I dislike living or even being around them. I do not find them interesting. I refuse to move back downtown, to the place where I lived most of my life, for that reason.
Transplants are always in for a rude awakening when moving to NYC. Something must be done to save white picket fenced, cookie cutter suburbia so that Trannsplants after college can go back home, have a career and call it a day. Instead of moving to the big city in an inner city neighborhood, driving up the cost of rent, making professional jobs scarce or unattainable for locals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
There are plenty who move here with parental support but also plenty more who don't. Most transplants do not come here with/for great jobs. They come here in search of opportunities and to escape their boring native habitats.

What's the difference between them and those lifelong NY'ers who live in rent controlled/section 8 apartments? If they had to pay 75% of market rate, would they still be able to live in NYC? Aren't they living on someone else's dime as well?

How about NY'ers who inherited houses or apartments from their parents/grandparents? There are PLENTY like that and without that they wouldn't be able to afford NYC either.

I'm not in love with transplants just like any native NY'er but you have to give most of them props. They take a chance and come to NYC in search of opportunities. Can't **** on them for that.
This is also true. Some Transplants come here with out parental support and try to make it on their own. Transplants do not have access to rent control, NYCHA, rent subsidized, or handed down property from parents which makes it easy for some New Yorkers to maintain lively hoods here. My advice for Transplants is to come to NYC with an Masters degree, or a degree from a top college or IVY league. A generic degree will not land you in an hot shot job. Be smart. either live in 5 roomates in an hip neighborhood in a small apartment, or move into the middle class outskrits of Bronx, Brooklyn and Queens which have no organic French Bistro in sight.

Old 02-05-2016, 06:31 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,156,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
Great cities don't shut their doors to certain people because you don't want to be around them. NYC will always have rich people, "transplants", fresh-out-of-college dreamers and the like no matter what. Gentrification even went on during the darkest periods of the 1970s (heck, I would argue NYC's rampant gentrification is a direct result of the city becoming so bad back then. NYC became so cheap that artists and yuppies simply poured in despite the decay. Something similar has happened in Berlin, which went broke in 2002)

The artists were poor, they weren't gentrifiers by and large

Old 02-05-2016, 07:22 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,880,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owl6969 View Post
Poor people suck?

There you can observe an utter lack of comprehension whatsoever that professions are valued "on the market" with little to do with actual worth or value of contribution.

Old 02-05-2016, 07:24 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,880,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
The artists were poor, they weren't gentrifiers by and large
Exactly. I was there, this person apparently was not.
Many of them are rich now but would never have been able to come to New York if current conditions had prevailed then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City