Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 04:42 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,924,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post
The state of Manhattan below 96th Street is a sad one. The old, cool areas are now boring. The old mom and pop stores are now Starbucks. SoHo is packed with tourists and their fanny packs. I no longer feel the energy I once did. Many of the new buildings are sold out, yet empty, as they are simply stores of wealth for foreigners. The areas around them are dead. Now the art galleries are moving uptown.

!
It is simply not the case that "the art galleries" are moving uptown. Nor will it ever be is my educated guess. This could be an art world level-of-experience thing.

Do certainly agree with the other comments though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2016, 04:50 PM

3,672 posts, read 2,748,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
It is simply not the case that "the art galleries" are moving uptown. Nor will it ever be is my educated guess. This could be an art world level-of-experience thing.

Do certainly agree with the other comments though.
Uh, but the article linked to in the original post says they are. In fact, one of the galleries I was looking for when in Chelsea, just did (to 126th).

Old 02-10-2016, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Uh, but the article linked to in the original post says they are. In fact, one of the galleries I was looking for when in Chelsea, just did (to 126th).
Really ? Do tell. Which are the significant galleries ? Do you know ?
Because THAT could be meaningful, were it to be true. It is also vastly unlikely. A few have moved to the UES. Gavin Brown is interesting but this is not one of the big majors.

Or did it just indicate "Chelsea galleries," basically a dime a dozen.

The most significant art venue move will likely be the Wallach relocation, by the way.

Old 02-10-2016, 07:23 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,201,005 times
Forget it, New York is done when it comes to galleries. The LES is the last gasp, and it won't be long before they are priced out of there. The galleries are going to be moving to Detroit.

Old 02-10-2016, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Forget it, New York is done when it comes to galleries. The LES is the last gasp, and it won't be long before they are priced out of there. The galleries are going to be moving to Detroit.
Exactly ... except the Detroit part, perhaps. Although one never knows.
There is just a small-ish group of meaningful galleries and they will not move to Harlem.
I might envision "branches," much like the Banana Republic OUTLET in Harlem. Not a real store, an outlet. I could see the galleries opening "outlets" here for the press.

The emerging but promising galleries already moved to Dumbo.

Old 02-10-2016, 08:17 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
I think some galleries are going to go the private dealer route, and with all the money saved from expensive overhead, they will be able to do more art fairs, which can be where they raise their profile and make more international sales.

There are many emerging galleries in Bushwick and there's quite a strong scene there, especially at 56 Bogart. I'm not sure how good sales are, however. Williamsburg's gallery scene that it had in the early and mid 2000's has dried up significantly. Even Pierogi, one of the most long-standing and prominent of the Williamsburg galleries, is moving to the Lower East Side because they were having trouble getting the collectors to cross the bridge to visit them in Williamsburg.

The LES space is more expensive for them than Williamsburg but they felt it was the right move. (They will still retain the Boiler space on N 14th in Williamsburg.) If I had to guess, I would imagine the Pierogi space on N. 9th will be rented out to a boutique or retailer (not a gallery).

Old 02-10-2016, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Really ? Do tell. Which are the significant galleries ? Do you know ?
Because THAT could be meaningful, were it to be true. It is also vastly unlikely. A few have moved to the UES. Gavin Brown is interesting but this is not one of the big majors.

Or did it just indicate "Chelsea galleries," basically a dime a dozen.

The most significant art venue move will likely be the Wallach relocation, by the way.
I like you, but you are a bit strange.

You, like me, don't want the same thing that is happening downtown to happen to Harlem (Disneyland), but you really do seem to be in denial (or wishful thinking) that upper class whites see Harlem as a legitimate place to move to or to open successful businesses in.

The fact is, Harlem is blowing up. And rightfully so.

Old 02-10-2016, 09:51 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,881,116 times
Quote:

You, like me, don't want the same thing that is happening downtown to happen to Harlem (Disneyland), but you really do seem to be in denial (or wishful thinking) that upper class whites see Harlem as a legitimate place to move to or to open successful businesses in.

The fact is, Harlem is blowing up. And rightfully so.
Columbia university expansion and more transit options in Harlem will finish gentrifying the area. Art Galleries will have little impact.

Old 02-11-2016, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
Columbia university expansion and more transit options in Harlem will finish gentrifying the area. Art Galleries will have little impact.
But the galleries sure will be nice to visit!

Old 02-11-2016, 05:41 PM

Quote:

No ... I know something about the art world. It is an opinion based on that.

I would give anything for a few decent businesses here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: