Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 05:43 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,930,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post
But the galleries sure will be nice to visit!
That would depend. They aren't all nice to visit.
And I have a feeling that those will be the ones moving to Harlem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2016, 07:02 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,213,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I think some galleries are going to go the private dealer route, and with all the money saved from expensive overhead, they will be able to do more art fairs, which can be where they raise their profile and make more international sales.
"Galleries" are private dealers now. The storefront is pure cost and earns nothing. But those wealthy international buyers won't buy unless it exists.

Old 02-11-2016, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
"Galleries" are private dealers now. The storefront is pure cost and earns nothing. But those wealthy international buyers won't buy unless it exists.
It was a good point Henna made about the fairs though.

But the wealthy collectors (also) go to the major galleries, who will not be giving up spaces and who will not be moving to Harlem. Except possibly "branches," as I mentioned already.

Old 02-11-2016, 10:14 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post
I like you, but you are a bit strange.

You, like me, don't want the same thing that is happening downtown to happen to Harlem (Disneyland), but you really do seem to be in denial (or wishful thinking) that upper class whites see Harlem as a legitimate place to move to or to open successful businesses in.

The fact is, Harlem is blowing up. And rightfully so.
Denial despite a credible source (the New York Times) mentions two galleries that have already moved to Harlem, and others that are moving.

She hates gentrification and big business. But denial never stops anything.

Old 02-11-2016, 10:16 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
No ... I know something about the art world. It is an opinion based on that.

I would give anything for a few decent businesses here.
Such as the Whole Foods opening up on 125th Street end of the year?

Old 02-12-2016, 05:56 AM

4,587 posts, read 2,598,716 times
I recall in the 90s parking my car easily on W 14 area to hang out in the West Village. Recently dropped my daughter off so she could go to the Whitney Museum. That area is beyond overdevoleped now.

Old 02-12-2016, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
I recall in the 90s parking my car easily on W 14 area to hang out in the West Village. Recently dropped my daughter off so she could go to the Whitney Museum. That area is beyond overdevoleped now.
It has been transformed into a museum-industrial complex; an entire experience.

This is not the same experience as the gallery one, although Chelsea certainly transformed into its own "experience center." Ditto 57th, if vastly different and with a different if sometimes overlapping audience.

The museums with very strong permanent collections do not need this development as much or at all. I will watch the Studio Museum with great interest in the coming few years. How will they position themselves; what sort of experience. Lacking a strong permanent collection they need to do something. Let's see what it is. In some ways the Wallach is better positioned already.

Old 02-12-2016, 08:12 AM

2,678 posts, read 1,701,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Forget it, New York is done when it comes to galleries. The LES is the last gasp, and it won't be long before they are priced out of there. The galleries are going to be moving to Detroit.
Some galleries already have if I'm not mistaken.

Old 02-13-2016, 04:02 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
And when Harlem gets 'hotter', the galleries are gonna move again.....!!!!!!!

Inwood?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: