Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 06:09 PM

4,198 posts, read 4,082,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailmotion View Post
Despite all the disclaimers in the world, I'm sure I'll get flamed for saying this - but here goes anyway.

First, I render no opinion for or against Officer Liang; I render no opinion for or against how he handled the situation; it does appear Office Liang screwed the pooch when (and if) he delayed the request for medical assistance for the victim, therefore I suppose my opinion is against Officer Liang in that regard.

However, for all who criticize the actions of this Police Officer [and all Police Officers for that matter], I say non-law enforcement are grossly under qualified to offer such opinions. Similarly, I feel that non-military are grossly under qualified to offer opinions regarding the actions of soldiers in a war zone.

When doctors, lawyers, accountants, nurses, mechanics, etc. face the possibility of being shot at every day, every hour, at any minute of being at work, then [and only then] do I feel that one begins to understand and appreciate why Police Officers may respond in a particular way; which seems contrary to one's "normal" reaction. Far too many people want to place the entire burden of keeping them safe upon the Police; however, far too many of those people equally want to demand that Police act in a "normal" way in entirely "abnormal" situations. For those of you who believe you can respond to danger better than Police Officers can, I say erase "911" from your phones and take care of your own business.
By your logic, juries could never render a verdict in such cases because they are grossly under qualified to offer such opinions. Same logic would apply to many crimes where juries would have no personal experience with the crime. And if you want us to respond to danger ourselves instead of calling 911, then we must be able to have full handgun carry permits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2016, 07:59 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,653,388 times
Brooklyn DA Ken Thomson better start looking for a new job. Neither Asians nor Blacks are likely to vote for him. Does he have lots of white votes?

Old 03-25-2016, 06:11 AM

19,039 posts, read 13,955,559 times
Isn't it grand that NY'ers vote almost solely along racial lines?

Old 03-25-2016, 06:29 AM

4,198 posts, read 4,082,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill83 View Post
Brooklyn DA Ken Thomson better start looking for a new job. Neither Asians nor Blacks are likely to vote for him. Does he have lots of white votes?
DAs rarely seem to lose their jobs. Morgenthau in Manhattan, Johnson in the Bronx, Hynes in Brooklyn, and Brown in Queens all had/have their jobs well over 20 years. They only seem to get replaced when they retire.

Old 03-25-2016, 01:59 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,147,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
No, he didn't deserve to die that night, but he is no pillar of anything either. Based on his long list of past offenses, he was on the wrong path and posed danger to people around him. Liang didn't even aim for him, and the bullet bounced off the ceiling into his chest. So he was probably on the short list of the dark force by default.
you are an idiot.

Old 03-25-2016, 05:29 PM

1,521 posts, read 1,816,567 times
Akai did not deserve to die that night. Liang should serve 1-2 years in jail, not 15+. But the DA isn't out of line either.

It was a legit manslaughter accident.
The bullet even bounced off the ceiling.

It is not comparable with many of the white cop killings against blacks (arms raised, shooting in back, shooting on ground, 40+ bullets into 1 body, etc) which is why there is so much fallout.

Old 03-25-2016, 09:41 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,196,527 times
Peter Liang should receive 25-life, 5 years prison is a joke, now the DA who is firmly in the pockets of the billionaires, banks, bosses, and pigs is demanding probation? what a tragedy. After hundreds of cases of police in recent years going un-convicted for murder, and millions of people around the country rising up against racist police oppression, it is a testament to the rotten nature of the broken system when we see after a conviction the system beg and plead for mercy after a racist cop murdered an innocent man in cold blood. Meanwhile black youth are sent to prison for years for possession of cocaine or marijuana. What a sham. DA Ken Thompson will be deposed just as Anita Alvarez was in Chicago, and there will be parades in the street afterwards.

Old 03-28-2016, 08:43 AM

131 posts, read 112,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
By your logic, juries could never render a verdict in such cases because they are grossly under qualified to offer such opinions. Same logic would apply to many crimes where juries would have no personal experience with the crime. And if you want us to respond to danger ourselves instead of calling 911, then we must be able to have full handgun carry permits.
BINGO! IMO, you are correct, incorrect and correct.

Correct: juries are indeed "grossly under qualified" to judge the actions of law enforcement where officers are compelled to make life and death decisions in a nanosecond in unexpected situations. Unless those jurors are ex-military from a combat zone or law enforcement, they have no idea what being in such a situation, day-in and day-out, is like. [See #157 above]

Incorrect: when the elements of a crime are described to a civilian, I don't see any difficulty for one civilian to judge the actions of another civilian, despite never having been a victim of that particular crime.

Correct: anyone who is ready, willing and able to participate in their own self-preservation, should indeed NOT be denied the opportunity "to have full handgun carry permits". Remember, however, that with that responsibility comes enhanced awareness that relying on a gun is ONLY in a circumstance wherein you or a third-party are at imminent risk of death or severe bodily injury. And you better be damn sure that the risk is real, not some carry-out clerk at the local grocery store who chases after you in the parking lot to return your wallet which you accidently left at the checkout.

Last edited by sailmotion; 03-28-2016 at 08:45 AM.. Reason: Add info

Old 03-28-2016, 08:47 AM

131 posts, read 112,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Isn't it grand that NY'ers vote almost solely along racial lines?
I don't think that phenomenon is limited to NY. Ask Bernie and Hillary. Or better yet, Obama.

Old 06-15-2016, 12:56 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,337,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Any cop patrolling the projects is mentally insane. Job requirements can be met by sitting in front of them with the lights on while drinking coffee. The people there aren't worth it.

How can you say this? There are a lot of innocent, decent people living in the nycha. Being poor does not mean being criminal garbage. The man who was shot was just descending the staircase and had to die. Police officer was a rookie and panicked and shot an innocent man. As a rookie he should not have been sent to the projects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City