Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 07:56 PM

236 posts, read 271,585 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

So my friend is coming into NYC to work at the Barclays Center next month as part of the March Madness/college basketball tournaments going on. He had asked me if Barclays Center is safe, and if getting there by the subway is safe to do.

I couldn't give an honest response because I don't commute to Brooklyn, and have never been to Barclays. There have been stories in the past about criminal activity in that area, but understandably that can happen everywhere.

My main question is: is it safe around that area, let's say between 10 am and 11 pm? And if it's not safe getting there by Subway, how do you suggest getting there from Manhattan?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2016, 08:19 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,471,538 times
It's definitely safe, but like anywhere else, one should exercise common sense of course

Old 02-11-2016, 08:23 PM

1,875 posts, read 1,325,755 times
I have lived in NYC almost all my life..

NYC and "safe" should NEVER EVER be used in the same sentence...

Anyone who thinks different has never lived in NY long, a Realtor or just plain high as a kite..... PERIOD

Old 02-11-2016, 08:24 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,471,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eqttrdr View Post

Anyone who thinks different has never lived in NY long..... PERIOD
ignore this poster, OP

Old 02-11-2016, 08:38 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eqttrdr View Post

Anyone who thinks different has never lived in NY long, a Realtor or just plain high as a kite..... PERIOD
Well, maybe you're right. I mean, it's not even safe to be a pedestrian crossing the street in NYC because you could get run down.

So, instead let's say the poster meant 'is it reasonably safe to go to that area at that time by subway' and the answer would be yes.

Old 02-11-2016, 08:56 PM

1,510 posts, read 1,005,669 times
Safe area and easily accessible by subway, rail & bus. Police presence is heavy around that area because it is more or less a landmark.

Old 02-11-2016, 10:05 PM

483 posts, read 869,984 times
To OP: as long as your friend stays away from Gowanus projects & the Wyckoff Gardens on 3rd Avenue, he should be relatively safe. Just tell him that NYPD will be hovering around Barclays Center for March Madness due to terrorist concerns.
Does Barclays Center remind u of Thunderdome from MadMax ?

Old 02-12-2016, 06:56 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,351,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raveneye217 View Post
Hi all,

So my friend is coming into NYC to work at the Barclays Center next month as part of the March Madness/college basketball tournaments going on. He had asked me if Barclays Center is safe, and if getting there by the subway is safe to do.

I couldn't give an honest response because I don't commute to Brooklyn, and have never been to Barclays. There have been stories in the past about criminal activity in that area, but understandably that can happen everywhere.

My main question is: is it safe around that area, let's say between 10 am and 11 pm? And if it's not safe getting there by Subway, how do you suggest getting there from Manhattan?

It is totally fine. He does realize he's not the only one around while events are going on, right?

Old 02-12-2016, 07:16 PM

236 posts, read 271,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernski View Post
To OP: as long as your friend stays away from Gowanus projects & the Wyckoff Gardens on 3rd Avenue, he should be relatively safe. Just tell him that NYPD will be hovering around Barclays Center for March Madness due to terrorist concerns.
Does Barclays Center remind u of Thunderdome from MadMax ?
Okay, good to know. How far are those projects from Barclays?

Old 02-12-2016, 08:37 PM

337 posts, read 423,708 times
If by safe you mean unpredictable then yes. It's an area that recently uprooted many poor and lower class individuals. There are many homeless and hungry that hang around that area. It's the concrete jungle. There won't be anyone waiting to mug you just don't walk around like you own ****, use good judgement and you'll be fine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: