Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2016, 07:39 AM

14,044 posts, read 13,914,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skooby View Post
Thanks for the info everyone! I see I have plenty to choose from.

I can imagine being born and raised in NYC and still not seeing everything.
Remeber NYC is fast paced city you have to have walk faster than Midwest

Last edited by BPt111; 02-13-2016 at 07:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2016, 07:41 AM

14,044 posts, read 13,914,424 times
Quote:
Thanks for the info everyone! I see I have plenty to choose from.

I can imagine being born and raised in NYC and still not seeing everything.
Welcome to New York City

Old 02-15-2016, 07:19 PM

95 posts, read 227,989 times
^^^^Nice pics! I'll be taking some of my own soon.

One additional question...is it better to do things during the weekday or weekend?

Old 02-15-2016, 07:26 PM

236 posts, read 271,549 times
Not sure what your budget is, but with that being said I'll give some suggestions.

If you want to go all out for a hotel, I'd suggest a hotel that provides a beautiful view of Central Park. The most notable one is the Trump Hotel, which is right near Columbus Circle on the west side. You receive a tremendous view, but also are in a good location; you'd be near various Subway lines, can easily walk along Broadway/TimesSquare, or go east to Rockefeller Center and beyond.

On the east side, you can find very nice hotels that are a little cheaper alongside Madison and 5th avenue.

In terms of transportation, Subway is your friend and guide. You can get pretty much anywhere in Manhattan by taking certain lines, or transferring over to larger stations and make your way around the city. Honestly, they are just so much better than taxis. Not only will it be cheaper, but also you can get from point A to point B that much faster.

Old 02-15-2016, 09:43 PM

3,672 posts, read 2,748,334 times
Go someplace nice instead.

Old 02-15-2016, 09:44 PM

3,672 posts, read 2,748,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Welcome to New York City

Pics of Times Square, really? That is by far the worst part of NYC.

Old 02-15-2016, 11:55 PM

993 posts, read 1,384,504 times
Quote:
is it better to do things during the weekday or weekend?
Museums are open all weekend, but less crowded on weekdays. Just be sure to check every museum's website because each has one weekday they close, and it varies by museum. You might bump into a school tour during the weekday, but total numbers of visitors are down.

Live theater is best on Wed,Thurs, Fri or Sat nights. Afternoon matinees (around 2 p.m.) occur Wed and Sat. On Sundays you might find a handful of shows with at 3 p.m. but nothing Sunday night. If you can take in one Broadway musical, after reading up on reviews, most people find that unforgettable and great. Some like an opera or classical concert at the Lincoln Center. Or see what's playing at the Town Hall or Carnegie Hall. One really big event like that makes a big impression on teens.

With teen girls, I'd build it by what interests them. If they like science, astronomy or the history of different kinds of people in the world, head for the Museum of Natural Science. If they are poetic and romantic, try wandering the Metropolitan Museum of Art. Alongside either of those, step out into Central Park a bit to walk around.

If they like modern dance, look up a company like Alvin Ailey and get tickets for a show. For classical music, see what's playing at the Lincoln Center or (nearby and smaller scale) the Kaufman Music Center. If they love books, stop in (on your way to something else..) to walk through the Central Branch of the NYC Public Library (Headquarters), which has its own exhibits and is just stunning to realize how many books can be under one roof.

Just don't get sucked into clothes shopping. Macy's here has nothing that isn't in their suburban malls back home.

You will have a great time, I'm sure. It's the large scale and energy that impresses teenagers who visit here. Also, challenge them to listen for how many languages they hear spoken. On subways, instead of laughing loudly as teens tend to do, encourage them to sit quietly and simply notice all the kinds of people who live here. It's called "people watching" and it's pretty fascinating. Take it in. Eavesdrop. Share notes later with each other. Have a human experience here. It's friendly, except when it isn't.. so stay upbeat and don't let an odd encounter set you back. Most people you'll encounter here will be decent and friendly. The rest are busy, on their way to work, or worn out from a commute. It's a city.

Teenagers from far away have told me they find it upsetting and confusing when people walk through a subway car and beg money. New Yorkers experience this constantly, but it unnerves tourists. One option is to carry chewy/moist granola bars and let the teens offer one, instead of doing nothing and looking away. It's up to you.

I agree with Chava that on a short visit, the best way to see the Statue of Liberty is just sail underneath it using the Staten Island Ferry, a regular commuter run, part of the MTA public transpo system. Don't invest an entire day to book a boat tour of Liberty Island or Ellis Island. Save that for their next visit!

If you notice they are getting overwhelmed by city noise and crowds, be ready to modify your day-plan. A half-day of something quieter or smaller lets them recharge. There are plenty of cafes, or small one-topic specialty museums (Photography; Museum of Art and Design near Columbus Circle; or small Museum of Mathematics near "Eataly" and Legos store all close to the Flatiron building.. for example). If it's not too cold, walkaround time in Central Park, or up along The High Line, is refreshing. It depends on the teens, but if they get cranky from crowds and overstimulation, it's easy to just dial it back for a few hours until they're raring to go again.

Walking shoes, or solid sneakers with athletic socks. Really. Unlike at home, nobody here knows you or cares what you wear. Just be comfortable to walk a lot. It's very liberating, especially for teens. Remind them to pack light; suitcases get carried up and down stairs a lot in train and subway stations, although elevators can be found in the big stations (but they're sloooow).

Last edited by BrightRabbit; 02-16-2016 at 01:23 AM..

Old 02-16-2016, 06:51 PM

95 posts, read 227,989 times
Thank you @BrightRabbit

I have an idea of what my nieces like but I'll contact them to get more specifics. They haven't been to a big city before so they might get overwhelmed so taking walks would be a good idea.

Old 02-16-2016, 07:08 PM

562 posts, read 463,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Never been to NYC? Wow, then be prepared to have your mind blown - since there is no other place like it anywhere.

I am envious of anyone who visits Manhattan for the first time. :-)
I was born and raised in NYC, but even I have to admit --London and Paris are much better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City