Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 03:10 PM

22 posts, read 18,115 times

Advertisements

Actually, you are most difinately racist!

I'm sure you wouldn't of asked that question if Atlantic center was mostly white! If there's no issue then why ask such a ignorant question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackswastedlife View Post
I know this may sound super racist, but that's not my intention. I'm just curious as to why everytime I go to downtown Brooklyn, especially near Atlantic Avenue/Mall, almost everyone I see is black. I believed this was a predominantly white neighborhood, or am I wrong?

Old 02-15-2016, 05:51 PM
gqa

175 posts, read 152,010 times
"I see black people....oh nooo"......Why do people have to explain why they're are blacks in a certain part of this so called "melting pot"? If you don't like it, move!! This isn't the early 1900's

Old 02-15-2016, 05:57 PM

30,462 posts, read 17,888,365 times
Many hit the nail on the head. Firstly, the Barclays Center area is surrounded by a variety of neighborhoods having different racial compositions today. For instance, Downtown Brooklyn proper is predominately white in terms of who lives there (as is Prospect Heights today . . . though this was not the case when I moved into the neighborhood), but Fort Greene and Clinton Hill may still have a slight black edge. Not to mention that areas such as Bed Stuy and other predominately black areas are nearby.

Next, many, many black people work in that area, and have for some time. And, even to the extent that the black population who live in the area has gone down over the years, blacks still have a long history of shopping in the area, something that didn't change simply due to a change in neighborhood demographics.

Lastly, while I've seen shops like Target see an increase in non-black clientele, I think another poster got it right that many (i.e. white people) haven't really settled into shopping in these areas. Perhaps this is because, as another poster put it, they generally have different shopping habits and patterns? I don't know for sure, though.

Now, while I feel qualified to answer the OP's question, I do find it odd that this is even a topic of conversation.

Old 02-15-2016, 06:00 PM

30,462 posts, read 17,888,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Yes, you're wrong. It hasn't been a "predominantly white neighborhood" since before I was born.
Were you last in the area in the 1990's/early 2000's?

Old 02-15-2016, 06:14 PM

36,910 posts, read 38,810,969 times
Pretty simple in that the areas surrounding it had for decades a large number of black people living there and was very accessible to many neighborhoods with large black populations. Added to that is that a lot of borough government institutions with their jobs and services are near the area, and given that a large portion of US citizens in Brooklyn are black, it makes sense that this added to retail in the area catering more towards black customers. Though many of the neighborhoods that had large black populations have had demographic changes where the black population numbers have gone down, but Fulton Mall had already cemented itself in the decades passed as a commercial center for the community so even as the changes happened in nearby neighborhoods it more or less stayed the course. However, that has been visibly changing in very recent years.

Old 02-15-2016, 06:29 PM

92,013 posts, read 122,107,559 times
Umm, why is this a shock for a borough/county with roughly 2.6 million people that is about 35% Black? So, were talking about a place with about 900,000 Black people and to put that into perspective, only 11 metropolitan areas in the United States have more Black people than Brooklyn.

Old 02-15-2016, 06:32 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,181,029 times
Stop with the Bull Sh*T OP!

Old 02-15-2016, 06:44 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,462,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appledipp718 View Post
I'm sure you wouldn't of asked that question if Atlantic center was mostly white! If there's no issue then why ask such a ignorant question?

Forgive them as they live in a bubble, and seriously think that in NYC, in 2015, "whiteness" is the norm. So one queries only when significant presence of "non normal" people show up.

BTW these are the same characters, who in another context, will scream that they don't "see race, only merit". This when I query why so many offices in NYC look as if they are in some Scandinavian city, when the monolith of whiteness is noted.

Last edited by caribny; 02-15-2016 at 07:00 PM..

Old 02-15-2016, 06:54 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,380,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Forgive them as they live in a bubble, and seriously think that in NYC, in 2015, "whiteness" is the norm. So one queries only when significant presence of "non normal" people show up.

BTW these are the same characters, who in another context, will scream that they don't "see race, only merit". This when I query why so many officers in NYC look as if they are in some Scandinavian city, when the monolith of whiteness is noted.
IIRC, 53% of the NYPD is nonwhite

Old 02-15-2016, 06:59 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,462,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
IIRC, 53% of the NYPD is nonwhite

I meant offices. Typo.

Any way NYPDs command structure is overwhelmingly white, and it is they who set policy and the tine.

Please don't peddle a lie that NYPD is color blind. Folks will laugh at you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City