Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2016, 10:41 AM

1 posts, read 11,044 times

Advertisements

I am married and working in Jersey City, NJ, makes low 100 a year. I'm considering whether to buy a house in NJ or Staten Island. I'm looking at 400K houses. Originally plan to live in NJ, but found out that property taxes are about $700+per month for houses in 400K range (from Trulia.com). On the other hand, in Staten Island, houses that range have property taxes of less than $300 per month. A difference of about $400+ a month.

My argument for looking in Staten Island:
- a colleague of mine who makes about the same, sees $300 more per month from his paycheck as a result to moving to NJ from NY(less income and state taxes).

I tried using income tax calculator from paycheckcity.com, which reported tax savings of about $150 per month based on 100K income of living in NYC and NJ comparison. I am not sure how accurate this is.

My argument for looking in NJ:
As my income increases, it probably would make more sense to live in NJ.

Does anyone have any opinion on this? I'm looking only from financial perspective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2016, 10:51 AM

2,465 posts, read 2,760,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bajinganindy2 View Post
I am married and working in Jersey City, NJ, makes low 100 a year. I'm considering whether to buy a house in NJ or Staten Island. I'm looking at 400K houses. Originally plan to live in NJ, but found out that property taxes are about $700+per month for houses in 400K range (from Trulia.com). On the other hand, in Staten Island, houses that range have property taxes of less than $300 per month. A difference of about $400+ a month.

- a colleague of mine who makes about the same, sees $300 more per month from his paycheck as a result to moving to NJ from NY(less income and state taxes).

I tried using income tax calculator from paycheckcity.com, which reported tax savings of about $150 per month based on 100K income of living in NYC and NJ comparison. I am not sure how accurate this is.

Does anyone have any opinion on this? I'm looking only from financial perspective.
Personally, I'd take the monthly savings and live in SI. As you expect your income to grow, if you were wise and saved the savings in SI you'll have more to spend when eventually moving to NJ on top of whatever the sale may generate for you.

Old 02-19-2016, 11:22 AM

462 posts, read 549,758 times
It is 6 of one and a half dozen of the other. Another issue you left out is commuting costs, if you drive to Jersey City from norther SI it is a short drive, but can you park- and you will have to pay bridge tolls. From Jersey you have the train or bus costs.

Also depends on income since your property taxes can be written off.

I think the commute to Jersey City is generally better from Northern New Jersey so I would focus my sights there. I know a few people who commute to Jersey City by public transit from Staten Island and it is a pain. There is a bus that goes there but it only runs along one area so if you don't live near there you have to drive to the bus in rush hour traffic.

Old 02-19-2016, 05:09 PM

86 posts, read 119,693 times
Default jersey

Move to jersey....nyc is one big craphole. You can get nicer houses there and nicer scenery

Old 02-03-2017, 06:26 AM

13 posts, read 14,390 times
One thing to be aware of is there is wide differences in what an individual property will be assessed and taxed. See https://taxhistory.brooklyncoop.org/view1/3010240018 for example, our current mayor pays about $3,581 on a $1,970,000 home while others for the same value pay 5 or 6 times more.

The reason is law s7000a that seems to turn NYC into a fraternity where the new development and people that repair their homes are hazed while the people that speculate and pay high prices for homes are not affected. s7000a does not allow assessments to increase more than 20% in any 5 year period regardless of the market value. But s7000a makes an exemption for IMPROVEMENTs (which NYC DOB and DOF seem to interpret REPAIR as IMPROVEMENT)

California's approach (Proposition 13) is to re-access the property at the point of sale. That seems logical.

To be fair, this is a NYS law, but a large part of the NYS assembly and senate is made of NYC representatives.

So if you want a particular low property tax use https://taxhistory.brooklyncoop.org to find one and do not IMPROVE it

Quote:

Old 02-03-2017, 06:48 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,942,084 times
Isn't Staten Island a cancer area in some parts (close to Fresh Kills?)? Would look into that if I were you. Economics is a big factor, but it's not the only factor...especially when it comes to your health.

Last edited by nyccs; 02-03-2017 at 06:56 AM..

Old 02-03-2017, 07:03 AM

462 posts, read 549,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyccs View Post
Isn't Staten Island a cancer area in some parts (close to Fresh Kills?)? Would look into that if I were you. Economics is a big factor, but it's not the only factor...especially when it comes to your health.

The dump has been closed for 15 years.

Old 02-03-2017, 07:08 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,942,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madbach View Post
The dump has been closed for 15 years.
I know that, but the landfill remains are still there. A higher cancer rate there relatives to the other 4 boroughs. Higher than national average for lung cancer incidents and mortality rates.

Old 02-04-2017, 01:02 AM

7,643 posts, read 6,472,603 times
Quote:

move to NJ

Old 02-04-2017, 08:41 AM

9,246 posts, read 24,069,701 times
Because Chris Christie has driven New Jersey to the edge of bankruptcy I would be willing to bet that tax increases of all kinds in New Jersey ..both state and local...income and property as well as fees ,etc , will far outpace those in NYC in the next 5 to 10 years. Something to consider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City