Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2016, 06:28 AM

337 posts, read 423,708 times

Advertisements

Ain't greed a beotch? They shoulda kept it small
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2016, 07:11 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times
It's starting to feel like we are losing some basics here in terms of retail. This is getting out of hand.

Old 02-20-2016, 09:03 AM

337 posts, read 423,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
It's starting to feel like we are losing some basics here in terms of retail. This is getting out of hand.
Very true

Old 02-20-2016, 10:03 AM

345 posts, read 853,034 times
This is similar to what happened to Duane Reade. Back in the 80's they had a store on Bway and 57th. It was fantastic. You always saw people walking around with Duane Reade shopping bags. If they had 10 cash registers, they had 10 cashiers. Now, their stores are crap. God help you if you need a shopping bag and they'll have 5 registers, but only one cashier.

Old 02-23-2016, 06:28 PM

769 posts, read 1,014,157 times
Fairway employee's are bottom of the barrel in terms of retail. No customer service training whatsoever and completely unprofessional.

I'm fairly certain that their employment model is based upon hiring ex-cons and halfway house work release people.

At least their retail concept and marketing is pretty decent, but I think they are losing a lot of consumers because people are genuinely scared of their retail staff.

Old 02-23-2016, 07:00 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ughhnyc View Post
Fairway employee's are bottom of the barrel in terms of retail. No customer service training whatsoever and completely unprofessional.

I'm fairly certain that their employment model is based upon hiring ex-cons and halfway house work release people.

At least their retail concept and marketing is pretty decent, but I think they are losing a lot of consumers because people are genuinely scared of their retail staff.

Whatdaya expect?

Quite honestly don't think any supermarket in NYC has the best and brightest of what NYC has to offer employment wise. Will give you some individual cashiers and others are better than others, but on average I've found the "I'm here, it's a paycheck" attitude.

You walk into most places and it seems like high school... Workers on their phones, chatting (and or making hooking up plans) with each other, or whatever.

http://www.westsiderag.com/2016/02/2...ilures#comment

Last edited by BugsyPal; 02-23-2016 at 07:22 PM..

Old 02-23-2016, 07:46 PM

520 posts, read 600,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd10025 View Post
This is similar to what happened to Duane Reade. Back in the 80's they had a store on Bway and 57th. It was fantastic. You always saw people walking around with Duane Reade shopping bags. If they had 10 cash registers, they had 10 cashiers. Now, their stores are crap. God help you if you need a shopping bag and they'll have 5 registers, but only one cashier.
Completely forgot about the Duane Reade shopping bag. I remember it had a plastic handle which you could snap shut.

Old 02-24-2016, 06:31 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
The UES Fairway does a LOT better business than the UES Whole Foods.

I would miss their coffee and their loose steel cut oats (at $1.49 a terrific bargain.) But for food staples, both stores are out of my league (way overpriced.)

Quote:

Somebody has to hire them...you cannot toss them into ovens or support them in recidivist prisons, aka concentration camps, for a lifetime.

Last edited by Kefir King; 02-24-2016 at 06:40 AM..

Old 02-24-2016, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post

I would miss their coffee and their loose steel cut oats (at $1.49 a terrific bargain.) But for food staples, both stores are out of my league (way overpriced.)

Somebody has to hire them...you cannot toss them into ovens or support them in recidivist prisons, aka concentration camps, for a lifetime.
However retail in much about perception of customer service. If employees seem less than motivated and or helpful it can kill repeat business.

Will give you in general most supermarkets/shops in Manhattan do not have great help.

Old 02-24-2016, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post

At least two reasons come to mind why UES Fairway *may* be doing better than WFs.

First the former for all its faults is more of a general type supermarket than the latter. Next in terms of prices Fairway tends to be lower than WF which for the part of UES east of Lexington or Third (Yorkville) probably makes a difference.

When you come down to it both Fairway and WF offer pretty much the same items (ready made foods, organics, produce, etc....) so the choice often comes down to what one wants and or can afford.

Fairway has bulk items like oatmeal which IIRC WF does not. Can also get those huge jugs of vinegar and other staples at FW.

Quite honestly where both shine are their meats/poultry departments. The local places (Key Food, Associated, and Grosstides) are more miss than hit in that area. DAG can be good but their prices aren't the best. Also that store on Lexington is always crowded and rather disorganized.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City