Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2016, 07:37 AM

650 posts, read 1,812,186 times

Advertisements

There is a website where you can sell your lesson plans to other teachers. It was famous a few years ago when the top selling teacher was making millions a year. If you're as good as you believe you are, then try that route.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2016, 05:27 PM

204 posts, read 291,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nudetypist View Post
There is a website where you can sell your lesson plans to other teachers. It was famous a few years ago when the top selling teacher was making millions a year. If you're as good as you believe you are, then try that route.
You're thinking of www.teacherspayteachers.com.

There's also www.autismeducators.com, which is a smaller site, but the same convent as TpT, with more of a focus on students with learning disabilities.

Also, it's very hard to make money on these sites... you almost have to do this like a full time job to really see any profit. However, if you already have really good and creative lesson plans, it's easy enough to put on the sites.

Old 03-10-2016, 06:47 PM

86 posts, read 119,743 times
Default nyc public schools

You "out of towners" make me laugh. All of you think it's so easy to just get a job here and you don't seem to realize that for every one job opened, there is at least 100 applicants per one job opening even if it's just for a minimum wage job! Everyone comes here for a "dream job" but gets a good slap in the face when they actually do move here and start looking for work. Nyc public school system sucks, yes, but it's like teachers don't actually work here anymore. You get all summer off plus you get 25 days off during the school year for "holidays". You get like 1/2 the year off! Nyc school teachers make nice pensions and get like 3 months off for maternity leave!

Old 03-10-2016, 09:15 PM

47 posts, read 45,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnc62683 View Post
You "out of towners" make me laugh. All of you think it's so easy to just get a job here and you don't seem to realize that for every one job opened, there is at least 100 applicants per one job opening even if it's just for a minimum wage job! Everyone comes here for a "dream job" but gets a good slap in the face when they actually do move here and start looking for work. Nyc public school system sucks, yes, but it's like teachers don't actually work here anymore. You get all summer off plus you get 25 days off during the school year for "holidays". You get like 1/2 the year off! Nyc school teachers make nice pensions and get like 3 months off for maternity leave!
Such original remarks. But, I'll go ahead and take a bite of the bait...

You too can have all those "perks", if you'd like to work with children. Wait, what? You're not rushing to take this opportunity? Everything ain't for everybody. You can also put an end to teachers taking advantage by homeschooling your children (no, seriously, there are some awesome homeschool groups out there, and (gasp) I used to teach for them).

I've worked both in formal and informal education and also have taught adults. I've also worked in industry. All have their pros and cons. And while its nice to sit in an office at a desk, perhaps taking a moment (or a hundred) to post on messageboards at work, and not have to worry about classroom management( to a degree), duties, irritating parents, and grading, being in the classroom pays better. And I like things like light, heat , and hot water. I like to pay my other bills as well. I'm not volunteering my time (although it will come out as such anyway). I have a particular set of skills lol and best believe I want to be compensated for it. I look at it as hazard pay.

And yeah thank you for those days off. They come in handy.

Old 03-10-2016, 10:34 PM

37,152 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Maybe join an ed tech startup since you've the time and financial security? Learn some programming on the side while you're at it.

Old 03-11-2016, 06:29 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,357,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnc62683 View Post
You know more than half of the people at the school I worked at were from "out of town." I was born and raised here but I'm not sure why that should matter in terms of getting a job.

If it was so great, so many of them would have stayed in teaching. Almost everyone I worked with has left the system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City