Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2016, 09:58 AM

6,376 posts, read 4,995,543 times

Advertisements

As a Chicagoan there's basically no way I can ask this question without it sounding bitter and jealous, which it is. I'm really just curious, though. How does New York possibly have enough space and low enough prices that people are continuing to move there every day? Is it just the huge foreign influx, and people born in the US are generally moving out more than in, but not enough to offset overseas immigration? Compared to other old, often industrial northeastern cities like Chicago, Milwaukee, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Philly, and Boston, NYC is destroying them all in population growth - how?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2016, 10:13 AM

3,672 posts, read 2,750,584 times
Because people are suckers...

Old 02-22-2016, 10:14 AM

4,587 posts, read 2,597,722 times
NYC is generally a nice place to live. That's the best explanation.

Old 02-22-2016, 10:14 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times
It's because the lack of jobs in other states and cities. The Stock market boom the past 8 years have fueled the growth. Prior to the stock market boom, real estate market lead people to leave NYC in favor of suburbs.

Many oil jobs are now in decline will likely force more people to leave and head to big cities for work. Unless we have businesses from other states hiring, people will keep coming here just like Mexicans coming to US for work.

We can thank NAFTA and upcoming Transpacific Agreement for killing more jobs and moving them overseas.

Old 02-22-2016, 10:19 AM

72 posts, read 260,964 times
[quote=vision33r;43102101]It's because the lack of jobs in other states and cities.

This....hence the reason I came back to NY after 10 years in the South.

Old 02-22-2016, 10:25 AM

5,000 posts, read 8,214,988 times
This:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
It's because the lack of jobs in other states and cities. The Stock market boom the past 8 years have fueled the growth. Prior to the stock market boom, real estate market lead people to leave NYC in favor of suburbs.

Many oil jobs are now in decline will likely force more people to leave and head to big cities for work. Unless we have businesses from other states hiring, people will keep coming here just like Mexicans coming to US for work.

We can thank NAFTA and upcoming Transpacific Agreement for killing more jobs and moving them overseas.
And this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post
Because people are suckers...

And more often than not, people ultimately leave at some point because this is not true:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post

Old 02-22-2016, 10:27 AM

1,119 posts, read 1,464,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
As a Chicagoan there's basically no way I can ask this question without it sounding bitter and jealous, which it is. I'm really just curious, though. How does New York possibly have enough space and low enough prices that people are continuing to move there every day? Is it just the huge foreign influx, and people born in the US are generally moving out more than in, but not enough to offset overseas immigration? Compared to other old, often industrial northeastern cities like Chicago, Milwaukee, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Philly, and Boston, NYC is destroying them all in population growth - how?
I bet if you posted this in an urban planning or more general US forum you'd get different replies.

As for your question: sure, NYC metro keeps growing, but I would wager good $ that commutes are getting longer because rents in the city (Manhattan in particular) are simply out of reach for a lot of people. But since the jobs are there, the area grows. And there are some industries (fashion, finance, publishing, to name a few) that are "if you want to make your career happen, it's going to have to happen in NY". Plus, as one poster already said, it's a reasonable place to live (and I'd add "if you like that sort of pace & quality of life").

Old 02-22-2016, 10:29 AM

850 posts, read 796,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
You can say the same thing about San Fran, expensive as well and the population in the area keeps growing, but not just san fran San Jose also. NYC as a whole is in better shape fiscally than Chicago.

Old 02-22-2016, 10:29 AM

531 posts, read 594,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
The best sarcasm is subtle sarcasm.

Old 02-22-2016, 10:34 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,615,922 times
For me the experience is so much more different than anywhere else in the US. Raised around Chicago for 18 years, I always had a hate and distaste for it; whenever I went into that city I'd come out feeling like I just disliked life haha. Here in NYC it's hard for me to want to get out of the city! I have nearly 6 years clocked here, so I have a feeling I'm here to stay.

The factors for me is a huge list encompassing jobs, entertainment, people, mass transit, etc that I won't get into here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City