Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2016, 03:11 PM

2,465 posts, read 2,762,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
You would actually get the most bang for your buck buying regular pasta,white rice and potatoes, and cooking that at home and basing your diet on that with just some cheap meat and the occasional fruit or vegetable on sale.

Of course this is a horrible diet, but what can you expect if someone is limited to $189 a month?
Food stamps are meant to supplement your food budget. Ideally, you shouldn't be using solely SNAP to eat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2016, 03:27 PM

2,033 posts, read 3,207,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post
Food stamps are meant to supplement your food budget. Ideally, you shouldn't be using solely SNAP to eat.
Yeah from what i hear they give some people & families they must expect it to supplement what they already get from the food pantries sadly!

Old 02-25-2016, 03:54 PM

31,907 posts, read 26,961,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loribell38 View Post
Yeah from what i hear they give some people & families they must expect it to supplement what they already get from the food pantries sadly!

When welfare was "reformed" food stamp program was moved more to "supplement" than actually cover all food costs. The idea being that persons would have other sources of income even if only Social Security, disability, working, etc... to make up the difference.

In most parts of the United States even a single person cannot survive an entire month on the amount ($194) given in SNAP aid. Even where persons and families do it is by stretching that money. Plenty of cheap carbs (rice, spaghetti, potatoes), processed foods, canned goods and so forth.

Of course you do have plenty of persons gaming the system. Have seen all sorts; black, white, old, young, gentile, Jewish and so forth roll into a supermarket driving a late model BMW, Mercedes Benz or whatever, load up with groceries and pay with a SNAP card.

You have to remember the list of those eligible for SNAP is really rather large and includes in some cases immigrants, asylum seekers, those with honorable discharges from US military (even if they are not here legally)....

Old 02-25-2016, 06:07 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,727,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post

Of course it's meant to supplement your food budget! What do you think it's for?!?!?!?

Old 02-25-2016, 06:11 PM

1,278 posts, read 1,247,954 times
so maybe this guy ate sparingly all month with his welfare income, and wanted to treat himself one night for something nice with the balance on SNAP card.

Old 02-25-2016, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
and you still think this is your business, it is not, you do not know all of the circumstances, you have no idea if that was his card, you don't know if he has been saving for a special meal, you don't know if the funds came off of the cash side of that card.
You should consider seeking professional help in getting past your obsession of the items in someone else's grocery cart......

So true!! Who stands there stalking what the person in front of them is purchasing and how they're paying for it????

When I go to the grocery store, I'm too busy adding up what's in my cart and making sure I got everything on my list and that my coupons are in order! I have no time and no care to scope out the person in front of me and then run home to post about it online!

Old 02-25-2016, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladlensky View Post
The only problem here is that $180-ish dollars a month doesn't buy you very much in the way of fresh fruits, veggies and chicken. It may afford you some low-grade, fatty ground beef or higher fat chicken thighs, a few bananas, apples, etc but good quality fruits/veggies and lean meats cost money. Assuming someone only has a fixed amount to spend on groceries, they usually go for the higher-calorie, lower-priced, processed items which gives you more bang for your buck. Nutrition isn't always so much an educational issue as it is one of economy - and the way food is priced right now, dollar for dollar people get more perceived value (in terms of calories + quantity) out of junk food vs healthy food.

Not true. $180/month can go a long way for a single person! Chicken breast is always on sale for $1.99 to $2.49/lb. You can buy 20 lbs at the sale price and that would last you all month with plenty of money left over for eggs, frozen veggie (healthier than fresh, actually), salad stuff, oatmeal, brown rice, etc.

There are also COUPONS. I never shop without coupons (never have, even in my 20s). Coupons go a very long way in saving you money.

Old 02-25-2016, 06:46 PM

3,672 posts, read 2,750,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
Of course it's meant to supplement your food budget! What do you think it's for?!?!?!?
You didn't take the time to read the post he/she was responding to. The post he/she was responding to was assuming that the stipend was to pay for ALL food for the month, and not as a supplement...

Old 02-25-2016, 06:51 PM

3,672 posts, read 2,750,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
Not true. $180/month can go a long way for a single person! Chicken breast is always on sale for $1.99 to $2.49/lb. You can buy 20 lbs at the sale price and that would last you all month with plenty of money left over for eggs, frozen veggie (healthier than fresh, actually), salad stuff, oatmeal, brown rice, etc.

There are also COUPONS. I never shop without coupons (never have, even in my 20s). Coupons go a very long way in saving you money.
I agree with this. I spend no more than $80 per week on my groceries, and that is living large with all the best of everything, organic chicken, foods, the best fresh veggies, etc. and that's $320 per month living large with all the trimmings.

If I were on a budget, I'd have no problem getting by on $180 per month for groceries, especially if it was a "subsidy".

Old 02-25-2016, 07:20 PM

31,907 posts, read 26,961,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post
I agree with this. I spend no more than $80 per week on my groceries, and that is living large with all the best of everything, organic chicken, foods, the best fresh veggies, etc. and that's $320 per month living large with all the trimmings.

If I were on a budget, I'd have no problem getting by on $180 per month for groceries, especially if it was a "subsidy".

Well you guys should start a blog or something to get the word out:

What it's like to live on food stamps - Business Insider

What It's Really Like to Cook on a Food Stamp Budget

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.2190855
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City