Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2016, 02:05 PM

1,278 posts, read 1,248,224 times

Advertisements

damn, this thread got resurrected? it's true though, once in a while supermarkets will sell filet mignon for $8.99/lb which is two nice sized steaks. i saw a coupon for $4.99 per lobster tail last memorial day.

our nation has an abundance of food and breed cows and lobsters like nobody's business. there is no such thing as class specific foods anymore. food consumption has been democratized long ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2016, 02:06 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,337,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post
One does not need to be on other programs to receive SNAP. In fact, most people receiving SNAP benefits are working folks that are struggling and meet the income requirements to receive SNAP and nothing else.
Yes, I agree with that.
The financial requirements to receive snap are very generous, and the income can be quite "high."
It can also be the only benefit somebody qualifies for.

Old 06-15-2016, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
from what the OP outlined, it appears the man was buying these items for a date or significant other. he got a filet mignon, 2, lobsters and caviar. 1 filet, 1 lobster, some caviar for him. while the date has 1 lobster, and are between the both of em probably sharing the can of caviar for the date, who probably doesn't eat red meat
I agree, maybe it was a wedding anniversary, or an annversary of any kind! Celebration at Home, nice!
He still had to pay for the booze in cash from his pocket!..:-(

Old 06-15-2016, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
No. Food stamps are for the person to spend on food however they please. One can use them to shop at a 99 cents store (if it has food) or Whole Foods.

Correct

Old 06-15-2016, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I have trouble believing that...
Me too.
It is not that easy to cheat!
Then you have always to look over your shoulder.
Is it really worth it?

Old 06-15-2016, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
actually this isn't true. People sell their foodstamps for cash and buy illegal drugs, and alcohol with em
that's rather complicated, especially if the ebt card bears a photo.

Old 06-15-2016, 02:49 PM

[quote=charmed hour;43377570]Again, SNAP is supplemental nutrition assistance, their own money, however limited is expected to contribute to their food budget. Depending on the number and age of children in the household, they're receiving plenty of assistance to eat well and nutritiously. Before possible WIC allotments which covers many essentials.

A family of 4 receives a maximum of $649 in NYC- more than enough to eat well. Problem is, imo, people don't know how or don't care to cook from scratch. The savings are significant when compared to convenience boxed meals. I don't care to hear excuses of, "I don't have the time", etc. Spend Sunday cooking meals for the week.[/quote

Yes, this.

Old 06-15-2016, 06:42 PM

1,521 posts, read 1,816,904 times
They need to exclude luxury items from foodstamps. Maybe even fried chicken.

Old 06-15-2016, 06:56 PM

31 posts, read 47,218 times
No. Stop right there. Excluding luxury food will eventually take us down a road we as a nation, a society, a family do not want to go.

First they came for the Filet Mignon, and I did not speak out—
Because I did not eat red meat.

Then they came for the Lobster, and I did not speak out—
Because I did not eat shellfish.

Then they came for the fried chicken, and I did not speak out—
Because I did not eat greasy food.

Then they came for the watermelon—and there was nothing left for me to eat.

Old 06-15-2016, 07:01 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgr555 View Post
They need to exclude luxury items from foodstamps. Maybe even fried chicken.
I don't know where you are from, but around these parts fried chicken is not considered a "luxury item"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City