Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 05:08 PM

3,672 posts, read 2,751,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyegirl View Post
Maybe it was his grandmothers' SNAP card and her last dying request for a meal, maybe not. Who cares??? The point is you have zero right to judge. Mow your own lawn.
I live in NYC, I don't have a lawn.

My understanding is that these cards have photos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2016, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
No, your logic makes it your business which it is not. Tend to your own cart.
Anything related to public assistance, public policy and/or public funding is everyone's business.

I am not saying that what this guy did was wrong. I simply witnessed it and it stuck out to me as something odd.

Old 02-24-2016, 05:11 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
I can see both sides. My reaction would have been the same. Then I would have had to remind myself that it's not my business, as long as SNAP benefits allow him to buy these items, then it's his right, and I should look the other way.

But... it would make me wonder what kind of funny business might be going on with his income and whether he is scamming the government to get benefits. I have heard of a lot of scams going on, in particular, I have heard Russian people are geniuses with scamming the system and getting benefits when they don't deserve them.

Old 02-24-2016, 05:13 PM
gqa

175 posts, read 152,978 times
Soooo if they buy junk food and non food items its a problem and when the buy good food its a problem. OK

Old 02-24-2016, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I can see both sides. My reaction would have been the same. Then I would have had to remind myself that it's not my business, as long as SNAP benefits allow him to buy these items, then it's his right, and I should look the other way.

But... it would make me wonder what kind of funny business might be going on with his income and whether he is scamming the government to get benefits. I have heard of a lot of scams going on, in particular, I have heard Russian people are geniuses with scamming the system and getting benefits when they don't deserve them.
This is pretty much exactly what happened in my case.

Old 02-24-2016, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gqa View Post
Soooo if they buy junk food and non food items its a problem and when the buy good food its a problem. OK
Some salad, a nice chicken to roast, some veggies, herbs, milk, juice, etc.; no. Spending your month's worth of benefits on a steak and lobster; maybe.

Old 02-24-2016, 05:15 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post
Anything related to public assistance, public policy and/or public funding is everyone's business.
I am not saying that what this guy did was wrong. I simply witnessed it and it stuck out to me as something odd.
So you believe you have the right to tell anyone/everyone on public assistance what they can purchase, when and where?
Okay, whatever you believe.

Old 02-24-2016, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
So you believe you have the right to tell anyone/everyone on public assistance what they can purchase, when and where?
Okay, whatever you believe.
No, defiantly not.

But if I notice something odd, I have every right to analyse the situation and vote in favor of or against changes to the policy in question.

Old 02-24-2016, 05:29 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,330,685 times
Quote:
I was just at Fairway and the guy in front of me had a nice filet mignon, two lobsters and what looked like caviar in his basket. They rang him up and the total came to $66. He opens his wallet and out comes his SNAP food stamps card!

Now I always cringe when I witness poor people buying pure junk food with food stamps, but a filet and lobsters? WTF?

I hear there is a bill in the works that would prevent the above. Would that be a good thing? What crazy things have you witnessed someone purchase with food stamps?
Why are you mad?

Old 02-24-2016, 05:33 PM
gqa

175 posts, read 152,978 times
Quote:
Some salad, a nice chicken to roast, some veggies, herbs, milk, juice, etc.; no. Spending your month's worth of benefits on a steak and lobster; maybe.

Please send your list to the gov't along with your proposed changes and let us know how it works out
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City