Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 04:03 PM

111 posts, read 110,758 times

Advertisements

its well known that during the month of January New Yorkers recover from holidays spending and most stores get affected but this is normal, usually business pick up in February.

We are almost in March and I dont see people spending any money, my friend works for a high end store she shares the same thoughts with me, my other friend is a massage therapist, he says that he is not getting any business lately, he used to have between 6-10 clients per week before, now the number has dropped to 1-2 clients a week.

I was wondering if something is going on and if the economy in NYC aka spending habits is ever going to recover, I honestly hear everyone complaining about this situation.

Have a nice week everyone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2016, 05:07 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,077,765 times
People always tighten the purse strings when the stock market is tanking whether they own stocks or not. It's a psychological reaction. The stock market is currently tanking.

Old 02-24-2016, 05:21 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,774,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphagifted View Post
its well known that during the month of January New Yorkers recover from holidays spending and most stores get affected but this is normal, usually business pick up in February.

We are almost in March and I dont see people spending any money, my friend works for a high end store she shares the same thoughts with me, my other friend is a massage therapist, he says that he is not getting any business lately, he used to have between 6-10 clients per week before, now the number has dropped to 1-2 clients a week.

I was wondering if something is going on and if the economy in NYC aka spending habits is ever going to recover, I honestly hear everyone complaining about this situation.

Have a nice week everyone
Are the two examples you gave long term business or only been in business like 2yrs or so? Reason i ask is cause sadly people move on alot of times to other places and shops/businesses start closing up.

Old 02-24-2016, 06:27 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,210,835 times
For some reason every New Yorker decided to spend all their discretionary income on a Canada Goose coat this year. It's not even been a cold winter... go figure.

Old 02-24-2016, 07:42 PM

Default are you referring to the oil prices?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
People always tighten the purse strings when the stock market is tanking whether they own stocks or not. It's a psychological reaction. The stock market is currently tanking.
If you are referring to the price of oil, this was posted on the WSJ today:
"U.S. stocks rose, recovering from earlier losses as oil prices turned higher."

Old 02-24-2016, 07:43 PM

Default the two

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbullnyc View Post
Are the two examples you gave long term business or only been in business like 2yrs or so? Reason i ask is cause sadly people move on alot of times to other places and shops/businesses start closing up.
people i am referring to have been in business for 10+ years they mentioned never seen experiencing this situation before.

Old 02-24-2016, 08:52 PM

19,046 posts, read 13,959,968 times
I've been buying ammo like crazy! Screw the fashion industry, too bad for them.

Old 02-25-2016, 09:14 AM

Airborneguy Lol !! you are right

Old 02-28-2016, 07:30 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,073,996 times
Everybody knows the REAL economy is in a far deeper hole than the rosy numbers from Washington indicate.

Even the Fed, with its free money policy knows that the economy is moribund and must keep pumping free money into the banks.

For anyone who believes that actual unemployment in the U.S. is 4.9%, I have a beautiful stone bridge for sale CHEAP.

Last edited by Kefir King; 02-28-2016 at 08:05 AM..

Old 03-01-2016, 08:21 PM

Default in reference to your comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Everybody knows the REAL economy is in a far deeper hole than the rosy numbers from Washington indicate.

Even the Fed, with its free money policy knows that the economy is moribund and must keep pumping free money into the banks.

For anyone who believes that actual unemployment in the U.S. is 4.9%, I have a beautiful stone bridge for sale CHEAP.
Just read this article in reference to your comment

thttps://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2015/11/06/ed-lazear-this-is-the-real-unemployment-rate/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: