Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2016, 08:40 PM

337 posts, read 423,786 times

Advertisements

I feel like these city officials see this city as a can and they want to see how many sardines they can stuff in the tiny can. This city was over crowded years ago, the infrastructure was just not built for all this human by product. These same sewers are going to have to be tested by more and more waste water and fecal? These city pipes are older then my grandmothers dresser, give us a break.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2016, 08:47 PM

337 posts, read 423,786 times
If this rezoning happens the rich will get richer and the streets will become more dangerous. There's all these standings and shooting in crown heights as of late, yet you look up housing prices and you can get a brownstone for close to a mil..something doesn't add up here. 50,000 displaced? That's more homeless, more crime. Survival of the fittest, when your on the streets you have to steal to survive. It's gonna be one interesting summer.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/03/12...ww.google.com/

Old 03-12-2016, 10:44 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,963,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklynorbust View Post
If this rezoning happens the rich will get richer and the streets will become more dangerous. There's all these standings and shooting in crown heights as of late, yet you look up housing prices and you can get a brownstone for close to a mil..something doesn't add up here. 50,000 displaced? That's more homeless, more crime. Survival of the fittest, when your on the streets you have to steal to survive. It's gonna be one interesting summer.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/03/12...ww.google.com/
Or not. One thing keeping crime down is homeless don't survive too long. Lack of medical care, drug overdoses, violence from each other, police brutality, etc. If crime became a greater problem the city would crack down with the NYPD. Brutally.

Old 03-12-2016, 05:35 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,711,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklynorbust View Post
I feel like these city officials see this city as a can and they want to see how many sardines they can stuff in the tiny can. This city was over crowded years ago, the infrastructure was just not built for all this human by product. These same sewers are going to have to be tested by more and more waste water and fecal? These city pipes are older then my grandmothers dresser, give us a break.
Yes and when the dutch arrived there was only a couple Indians. Somehow we managed to get from there to here and there's plenty more ways to fit in more people

Old 03-12-2016, 06:04 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,349,217 times
Everyone should be moving to the Rust Belt cities anyways. Cleveland, Detroit, Saginaw, Syracuse, Chicago, Dayton, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Chicago, Toledo, St. Louis, Cincinnati, Erie, Rochester, etc. are all beckoning.

Old 03-13-2016, 12:11 AM

3,921 posts, read 9,126,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
That sign has been there since I was a kid. It's at the border of ENY and Brownsville...I forget what street exactly its on...maybe Sheffield and Blake or Sheffield and Sutter...
It's at Pitkin & Powell. It's on the Brownsville side of the tracks, not the ENY side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokistic View Post
Is not East New York but close by. A new Hotel in this part of Brownsville?

Hotel Planned At 120 Thatford Avenue In Brownsville

I mean why there? There are like really bad housing projects surrounding this? I feel bad for the clueless tourist that will books in this hotel.
It's not even near the subway stations either, so you've got a good 10 minute walk to get to the (L) or (3) alongside those projects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
This question is not worthy of it's own thread so I figured I would ask here, would you consider Avenue D and East 95th st to be East Flatbush or Brownsville?
Canarsie. It's walking distance of the Canarsie (L) station.

Quote:
Damn, the question I really meant to ask was what is Avenue D and East 89th St. considered

Is the answer the same?
That's right by Canarsie Plaza.

Canarsie is one of the few neighborhoods that Google Maps has approximately right IMO. I might swap out the Glenwood Houses (which are west of Ralph Avenue) for the Breukelen Houses (which are centered on Glenwood Road & East 108th Street).

Once you get north of the LIRR tracks, you're either in East Flatbush (if you're west of Rockaway Parkway) or Brownsville (if you're east of Rockaway Parkway)

Old 03-13-2016, 01:40 AM

34,035 posts, read 47,252,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
It's at Pitkin & Powell. It's on the Brownsville side of the tracks, not the ENY side.
There's 2 signs then. The one I was reffering to is on Pitkin and Sheffield:

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.6717...2!8i6656?hl=en

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-13-2016, 01:56 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,474,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post

It's not even near the subway stations either, so you've got a good 10 minute walk to get to the (L) or (3) alongside those projects.

Canarsie. It's walking distance of the Canarsie (L) station.

That's right by Canarsie Plaza.

Canarsie is one of the few neighborhoods that Google Maps has approximately right IMO. I might swap out the Glenwood Houses (which are west of Ralph Avenue) for the Breukelen Houses (which are centered on Glenwood Road & East 108th Street).

Once you get north of the LIRR tracks, you're either in East Flatbush (if you're west of Rockaway Parkway) or Brownsville (if you're east of Rockaway Parkway)
NYC neighborhoods do have subjective borders though, but are you saying that a lot of the neighborhood shadings are blatantly wrong on Google Maps?

Old 03-13-2016, 12:31 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,126,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
There's 2 signs then. The one I was reffering to is on Pitkin and Sheffield:

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.6717...2!8i6656?hl=en
That makes sense.

Quote:
NYC neighborhoods do have subjective borders though, but are you saying that a lot of the neighborhood shadings are blatantly wrong on Google Maps?
I would say so. On Staten Island, most of the neighborhoods are blatantly wrong. (For example, their boundaries for Elm Park are almost precisely what most people would consider Port Richmond, and their boundaries for Port Richmond include most of West Brighton). And their "Arrochar" is basically South Beach, with a few other examples off the top of my head.

In Brooklyn for example, they have East Flatbush with a western boundary at Rogers Avenue. One of the things about East Flatbush is that most people consider the area unserved by the subway, while Google Maps has the subway directly within the boundaries! (I mean, granted the East 90s are walking distance to the (3), but even still, the station itself is in Brownsville)

Old 03-13-2016, 01:26 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,963,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Yes and when the dutch arrived there was only a couple Indians. Somehow we managed to get from there to here and there's plenty more ways to fit in more people
Yes. More poor people making comparatively low if not really low wages. Renting out a room for yourself? Hahaha! Trying sharing a room with 2 or 3 people. It may be in the interest of certain aspects of the real estate industry to fit in even more people, but not in the interest of those people. And the next 10 years will be horrible in NYC, as you have all the retiring boomers who have jobs that pay no benefits and their social security isn't enough to pay the rent (and they never made enough to buy property here). The city is going to have to deal with all that (food stamps, rent increase freezes like the one de Blasio instituted, etc.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City