Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2016, 10:36 AM

481 posts, read 427,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
I work in financial district area, that is very generous estimate you are giving. From Kingsbridge/Fordham Rd, it is closer to an hour down to wall street and it is NOT a pleasant ride during rush hour. Very crowded, lots of traffic delays, and it is local in the Bronx. I live near the line and avoided it many years preferring to take the D but I am going to try taking the 4 all the way down again since the D has become very crowded in the last year.

With regards to this olympic ice megaplex. I have mixed feelings about it. It is a huge space so it is hard to find a one-size solution that works well. I was not a big proponent of it being a retail space since it would kill local business and Fordham road is already very close to it. I think some kind of mixed use of the property would have been ideal but it is nice that something different like this is coming to the Bronx so I hope it works out.
Thanks for the from the ground facts. I got my estimates from Google maps, which clocks 44 minutes from the Armory to the New York Stock Exchange on the 4.

As far as 9 rinks, single use, I think they are hoping the pros will choose this rink for practices. Glacier Azure posting above mentioned that there will be provisions for funding "disadvantaged & others" to use it, but multi-use would have been the direction for actually enriching the neighbourhood, not pros coming straight in to use the facilities and straight out. Single use only seems to benefit the developer and a handful of residents, frankly. I would love to hear different, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2016, 12:04 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,158,005 times
That area used to be upper income Jewish folks till the Irish came barging in around the 1950/1960s to be replaced by the blacks and Spanish of the 1970s/1980s.

My neighbor when I was little was an elderly Jewish Doctor who actually has a three bedroom apt he used to practice medicine out of. His two sons were IVY League educated. They passed away of old age around 1971.

The grand concourse around 196st a few blocks from this rink was all doctors and lawyers.

Old 02-26-2016, 12:35 PM

4,587 posts, read 2,596,856 times
The D train is near bye to the area. That area has nice apartments and a few houses. It used to be an Irish/German area. Who remembers the bakery " Webbers " ?

Old 02-26-2016, 01:25 PM

481 posts, read 427,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelightfulNYC View Post
That area used to be upper income Jewish folks till the Irish came barging in around the 1950/1960s to be replaced by the blacks and Spanish of the 1970s/1980s.

My neighbor when I was little was an elderly Jewish Doctor who actually has a three bedroom apt he used to practice medicine out of. His two sons were IVY League educated. They passed away of old age around 1971.

The grand concourse around 196st a few blocks from this rink was all doctors and lawyers.
That brings up a good point. Manhattan isn't the only place that people make money in NYC. Montefiore Hospital and several others hospitals in the Bronx are major employers...

Old 02-26-2016, 01:27 PM

1,278 posts, read 1,247,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
I don't see that area as likely to be gentrified although with the way things are looking at this moment any part of this city looks vulnerable. I also don't think the ice center will attract gentrification.
Gentrification follows where the Chinese buy, and invest as landlords.. this has been very well documented in the past 15 years.

The Chinese bought out Little Italy in the 80's, it went up in price.
The Chinese bought out Flushing Queens, it went up in price.
The Chinese bought out Lower East Side, it turned into a hip neighborhood for college grads. It went up in price.
The Chinese bought out many areas of Brooklyn.. run down sweatshop warehouses in Williamsburg back in the 90's, converted into condos/rentals. It went up in price.
The Chinese have been buying out Soho. It went up in price.
The Chinese have been buying Harlem. It is going up in price.
The Chinese are now buying Bronx. It will go up in price.

Old 02-26-2016, 02:00 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,963,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Beth View Post
That brings up a good point. Manhattan isn't the only place that people make money in NYC. Montefiore Hospital and several others hospitals in the Bronx are major employers...
Plus the Bronx has teachers, social workers, etc. The city is a major employer in the Bronx. A lot of businesses are moving to the South Bronx because of cheap real estate. Plus CUNY has Lehman College and two community colleges in the Bronx.

Old 02-26-2016, 02:12 PM

1,496 posts, read 2,237,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
They are actually going forth with the nine rinks?

This is so stupid. If the area doesnt gentrify, no one is going to use it.

It is not really close to the Highway. You have to drive through a few stoplights, and narrow streets that are already congested. It is near the subway, but only Bronx residents can access it. No one in Manhattan will take the trip up there when Chelsea Piers and City Ice are so much closer.

If you want 9 rinks, at least stick it in Westchester or Rockland. I dont think Rockland even has a rink.
Speaking for the gentry, I'd say get rid of the ice rinks and get a Trader Joes or a Wholefoods.

Ice rinks?? In the Bronx? Someone knows or is related to someone in the ice rink construction business no doubt.

Old 02-26-2016, 02:12 PM

931 posts, read 801,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertee View Post
Great. I hope the area gentrifies big time. The prices in the area is ripe for middle class families to move in.
^^100% Agree!^^. That area needs a nice dose of gentrification. That area is a little too hood and needs to be gentrified.

Old 02-26-2016, 02:20 PM

2,228 posts, read 3,688,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelightfulNYC View Post

Bingo. The circle of living in NYC, Nothing stays the same. Most areas in NYC have changed one way or another. Some areas more drastically then others.

Old 02-26-2016, 04:27 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,474,252 times
I hate how people complain so much about things they're not paying for

Last edited by l1995; 02-26-2016 at 05:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City