Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you have the New Yawk accent?
Yes 39 50.00%
No 39 50.00%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 11:54 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,177,914 times

Advertisements

There really isn't one uniform New York accent. There are several types of accents that are only commonly found here though. Although some of us don't think we have one, it slips out every once in a while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2008, 12:04 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,177,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Nope....raised in hispanic/black neighborhoods. I got nobody to pick it up from. Also alot of people here dont even speak english.
Hispanic people in NYC, especially the Bronx, have a very particular way of speaking in English. They don't talk like that in other parts of the country.

New York Latino English - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-09-2008, 12:24 PM

44 posts, read 251,717 times
Nope but I'm not from here.

Old 02-09-2008, 01:16 PM

5,720 posts, read 19,999,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Hispanic people in NYC, especially the Bronx, have a very particular way of speaking in English. They don't talk like that in other parts of the country.

New York Latino English - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Very interesting. I guess I have that then.

Old 02-09-2008, 01:43 PM

113 posts, read 382,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkCity0416 View Post
No accent from me. Most people think I'm from out of state (midwest maybe?) though, I am a black guy. We all know black guys don't have "New Yawk" accents.
Silk, that's total BS. What accent does Charles Rangel have? What accent does Floyd Patterson have? What accent does Dominic Adams have? What accent does Wendy Williams have?

P.S. I'm sorry if the truth gets in the way of your narrative about the Great Migration, the Color Purple and the minister

Old 02-09-2008, 02:03 PM

307 posts, read 2,505,419 times
I dont know...people think Im from BK??? Even though Im not...lol...its funny...I guess I have a slight accent...

Old 02-09-2008, 02:52 PM

1,080 posts, read 4,576,003 times
Yes, I have a accent, certain words are pronounced differently for those of us from The Bronx, and proud to say born and raised. Everyone who talks to me knows I'm from NY.......I don't think I have a accent, but I'm told daily hey you must be from NY........Thank God, I don't have a FL (ugh) accent.

I have a friend born and raised in NJ....yet she sounds like she's from Long Island, very loooonnngg Island in her speech. But love her just the same.

Old 02-09-2008, 04:32 PM
CNG

28 posts, read 182,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkCity0416 View Post
No accent from me. Most people think I'm from out of state (midwest maybe?) though, I am a black guy. We all know black guys don't have "New Yawk" accents.

What does a New York Accent sound like? Never heard of it...

Old 02-09-2008, 04:40 PM

500 posts, read 2,855,944 times
People are getting REALLY touchy about what SilkCity said. And it wasn't anything bad that he wrote! Let's all calm down and enjoy the conversation...

Looking at the answers to the poll here, I have to assume that half of that 44% of people who say they have an accent don't really have it. Or where are they?

The classic New York accent is getting lost as old people die and the traditionally blue-collar folks who had it moved to the suburbs. You still see it in construction workers and truck drivers and such, but not as prevalent.

(I don't have a NY accent, as I was born in Europe and moved to NYC not too long ago).

Old 02-09-2008, 04:56 PM

564 posts, read 1,724,180 times
I always thought it wasn't too similar to the New York accent, but when I went to Michigan everyone said that the way I spoke made me the king of the accent. I guess it is kind of like the accent, but I don't sound at all like, say, a New York mobster in a gangster film does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City