Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you have the New Yawk accent?
Yes 39 50.00%
No 39 50.00%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 11:56 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,042,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone28 View Post
I'm a third generation consruction worker with a thick NYC accent. I'll never forget the first time I heard my voice on my telephones anwsering machine. I sounded like I should be hanging out with John Gotti. Back then I thought it was cool. Now I have two kids live in Jersey and hope and pray they do not end up with an accent like mine.

Do you folks think kids get there accents from there parents or fro the area they are raised?
I think it's a little of both. I think the area where you're raised has a little more influence. Especially after you get older and are with your parents less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2008, 12:11 PM

146 posts, read 688,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone28 View Post
I'm a third generation consruction worker with a thick NYC accent. I'll never forget the first time I heard my voice on my telephones anwsering machine. I sounded like I should be hanging out with John Gotti. Back then I thought it was cool. Now I have two kids live in Jersey and hope and pray they do not end up with an accent like mine.

Do you folks think kids get there accents from there parents or fro the area they are raised?
The overwhelming factor in determining a child's accent is his/her peers and the place they grow up (unless the kid is in some strange situation where they're isolated from everyone but their parents). Parents have some input, but it's minimal compared to the environment.

Old 04-27-2008, 12:43 PM

96 posts, read 407,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetlez View Post
The overwhelming factor in determining a child's accent is his/her peers and the place they grow up (unless the kid is in some strange situation where they're isolated from everyone but their parents). Parents have some input, but it's minimal compared to the environment.
The "TH" in words like thing, think, etc etc, would just end being the T. I always had a hard time pronouncing the H. I've gotten better but I need to think about it. My mom does the exact same thing. I don't know if it was a Brooklyn thing, but it's no coincidence that my mom who was a stay at home mom does the same thing I do. My sister also talks like my mom.

I took a childhood communication development class in college (Go figure). Surprisingly I learned a ton about communication development in children. It's interesting to note that so much of the development takes place a young age. Things like a lisp for example can be remedies by a speech pathologist from a very young age. Pretty much 100% of your development happens at a very young age. Theres the story of the girl who sadly chained to a bed post in a room for 10 years with a father who never spoke to her or anything. I believe shes a lot older now and can't speak still.

It's interesting. This was like 5 years ago so my facts might be off. Look into it.

Old 04-28-2008, 01:20 AM

757 posts, read 3,362,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
I think it's a little of both. I think the area where you're raised has a little more influence. Especially after you get older and are with your parents less.
If the parents influenced the children's accents exclusively, we'd all have the stamp of the old country, the accents our immigrant forbears developed upon settling here.

Old 04-28-2008, 07:21 PM

1 posts, read 2,982 times
i was born in bensonhurst brooklyn, and moved to staten island when i was 10. iam 25 y.o and you can definately tell my ny accent where ever i go, and i dont try to hide it or exagerate it, like alotta people do.

Old 04-28-2008, 09:59 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,365,289 times
Is your family Irish? Because that's how they pronounce the "th" sound. Instead of thanks it sounds like "tanks" and instead of things it comes out like "tings"

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowloris View Post
The "TH" in words like thing, think, etc etc, would just end being the T. I always had a hard time pronouncing the H. I've gotten better but I need to think about it. My mom does the exact same thing. I don't know if it was a Brooklyn thing, but it's no coincidence that my mom who was a stay at home mom does the same thing I do. My sister also talks like my mom.

I took a childhood communication development class in college (Go figure). Surprisingly I learned a ton about communication development in children. It's interesting to note that so much of the development takes place a young age. Things like a lisp for example can be remedies by a speech pathologist from a very young age. Pretty much 100% of your development happens at a very young age. Theres the story of the girl who sadly chained to a bed post in a room for 10 years with a father who never spoke to her or anything. I believe shes a lot older now and can't speak still.

It's interesting. This was like 5 years ago so my facts might be off. Look into it.

Old 04-28-2008, 11:32 PM

Quote:
I heard about her, too. There's a very small window when a child develops the ability to use language. If it's not developed in the first few years, there's no opportunity to recover it.

Old 04-29-2008, 01:36 AM

146 posts, read 688,845 times
Quote:

As far as actually learning language, yes, there's a critical period in the first few years in which a child must be exposed to some minimal amount of speech or else it will be next to impossible for them to really acquire it afterwards. By the time a kid is 3 or 4, he's pretty much wired with language.

As far as dialect goes, think about this--the child of immigrant parents who speak English with an accent is not going to speak English with that same accent. Maybe he'll have a few quirks here and there, but all in all, he's going to sound like the other kids in the area he grew up in.

And that th-->t thing you described is very much a part of the NY accent, but it's becoming less and less common (unfortunately!).

Old 04-29-2008, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
Is your family Irish? Because that's how they pronounce the "th" sound. Instead of thanks it sounds like "tanks" and instead of things it comes out like "tings"
The New York Irish may have acquired this habit, but it didn't originate with them. English, one of the few (perhaps the only) language with a "th" sound, is spoken in Ireland. The substitution to a "t", or more commonly "d" sound,* is more likely to have come from immigrants from the Netherlands, France, Scandinavia, Germany, Italy, Africa, etc. -- people from places where the "th" sound is not part of the language.

* "I got dis ting . . . "

Old 05-05-2008, 03:03 AM

578 posts, read 2,529,065 times
Wink On Erf, as it is in Heaven....give us this day

Who said that "th" about it must be indicative of their Irish ancestry, if that were true; then they must be why 'all blacks' say "BAFFROOM" instead of BATHROOM? "the erf is the 3rd planet from the sun"...instead of EARTH or "THO the ball", instead of "THROW THE BALL' ...

SEE? You cannot just clump ALL of something in a general group. Dees, dem, dos dere.
My mother was Italian, came here as a kid, but still sounded like she pronounced the word "taught", but she was meaning & saying the word "thought". fuggettaboudit!

Its just a force of habit like bad english; "He be always talking sh*t bout somebody, or "I ain't stuttin' you. which means "I'm not studying you"...(i.e. you're not on my mind at all).
bla, bla bla ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City