Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2009, 01:52 AM

60 posts, read 219,566 times

Advertisements

Help! Any advice is appreciated. I would like the safest and yet to quickest route to drive from Vegas to Brooklyn, NY. I know that "google maps" says it takes about 38 hours but I can't drive straight through!

How long does it REALLY take and about how much would it cost in gas? I have a mid-size car that gets relatively good mileage.

Also, are there any good motels/hotels along the way that anyone can recommend?

Thanks to everyone who responds!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2009, 01:59 AM

1,999 posts, read 4,997,299 times
Default I thought you was going to Queens?

This will take 4 days at this time of the year. You have to avoid the Northern route as it will be plagued by dangerous weather at this time of the year,

Optimum routing at this time of the year is US 95 from Vegas south to Kingman Arizona and pick up I-40 East. Stay on I-40 all the way to Knoxville TN, you will stay south of most slippery weather. Then pick up I-81 North to start the final Northerly leg towards NY thru WV and VA. Hook up with I-78 which will take you to the NY area. the final leg is I-95 to the outerbridge crossing into Staten Island then the Verrenzano to Brooklyn. I have experience driving this same exact route at this time of the year and it worked out great avoiding weather like blizzards and closed MTN passes. There are multiple hotel at every exit on the interstate, you sleep when you are tired at where ever is most convenient.

When I drove this six years ago it took 4 or 5 days but I was in no hurry and took my time. The drive is about 2400 miles so if your car gets 32 MPG you will burn about 75 gallons which should cost you are $120 if gas is $1.60.

Last edited by samyn on the green; 01-20-2009 at 02:30 AM..

Old 01-21-2009, 02:59 AM

Default Thanks, Samyn!

You don't understand. I've been living in Queens for the past six months, but am moving from Kew Gardens to Brooklyn soon. What I'm attempting to do is get my car down to Queens to get my stuff and then move everything to Brooklyn. I only have about 5 days to get everything done. I was contemplating taking the car through the northern route but had reservations about the snow and ice. The last thing I need is to slide off a mountain.

I really appreciate your advice because even though it might take longer, at least the car and I will arrive in one piece. Since I am a flight attendant for an airline, you know how it is. They really don't give you much time to do what needs to be done.

I'll be taking the southern route as you suggest. Thanks!

Old 01-21-2009, 09:06 AM

172 posts, read 476,157 times
If the forecast is funky, I'd keep going west on 40 straight to I-95 in North Carolina and then head up north ... less snow over that way. But I'd keep an eye on the forecasts all the way across. If it were to get bad, you could always angle south toward Atlanta, but your trip's getting a few hundred miles longer if you did that.

Just saying ... I used to live in Knoxville and have taken various routes during the winter. Just don't try any 2-laners over the mountains, ya hear?

Old 01-21-2009, 02:35 PM

195 posts, read 741,626 times
Interesting!

Old 01-29-2009, 01:38 AM

Default Thanks, everyone!!

Samyn on the Green, a special thanks to you. I left Vegas on Thursday morning, January 22nd and went the southern route. This was the greatest advice because the only bad weather I encountered was in Flagstaff, AZ. After that, it was pretty much smooth sailing. The trip took me about 4 days total, driving both day and night. Of course, I rested a few hours at rest stops along the way and stayed in one motel room in Oklahoma. The trip took me through several states including Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, and New York. I made a couple of side trips along the way but basically kept to my schedule and arrived on Sunday night around 8 p.m.

The only real problem that I had was when I was trying to find my way to Queens, NY. It was rush hour and cars were speeding past me and I couldn't really look at the posted signs for directions. I don't advise anyone to try to find your way during rush hour traffic in New York!! It was a dangerous mistake on my part, but it all worked out ok, thank God!

I definitely was fortunate because Wednesday, January 28th, the midwest was hit with an ice storm system that also affected many of the roads I passed through. Even so, my advice is to travel the southern route and be safe.

Thanks again, Samyn on the Green!

Last edited by bccatlady; 01-29-2009 at 02:00 AM..

Old 01-29-2009, 08:44 AM

1,999 posts, read 4,997,299 times
Default happy for you

So happy that everything worked out well. A massive ice storm plagued the Northern route this week so selecting the southern route was a wise choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City