Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2016, 05:14 PM

86 posts, read 119,666 times

Advertisements

With 72k, you should be ok. You don't have much rent to pay and you will be close to public transit depending on where you are. Crown heights is a changing area. It use to be very bad around there but it's changed quite a bit. Day care, you might be able to get a nanny with a group of other single mothers, they do have groups like that here. They charge a lot more money for children who are not potty trained yet. Certain hospitals here have a saving account that you can actually put part of your paycheck into that is used only for childcare costs....you should check to see your benefits package to see if they offer this. Lenox hill hospital is run by northwell health so you might be in 1199 union, 1199 union if you get into it has wonderful benefits and offers sleep away camp for the kids when they get older. Ny methodist I am not sure about their benefits but they are closer to your house so I would stick to taking thar offer because the transit system in nyc sucks! Just because we have a lot of tracks does not mean that it's reliable! You might want to hang on to your car if you're not that close to public transit around here, it's a pain to get around nyc with a stroller on public transit especially considering the fact that men here will not give up their seats (most of the time) for a woman who Is pregnant or carrying a child. So if you have to shoot across town to do something especially on the weekend just know that it's a pain to take public transit with a stroller. Most subway stations do not have elevators and you will be lifting that stroller up and down the stairs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2016, 05:21 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,004,797 times
Maybe the hospital itself has a day care program for its employees

Old 03-05-2016, 08:46 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,670,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylakjg View Post
Ok So Ill be Very Descriptive so i can get accurate & detailed answwrs.
Im a single 20 year old mother of a 1 year old boy. ( my sons father is uninvolved and has also signed over his rights). I currently reside in Va but want to give my son a better life. My mother & father have been very supportive. Despite getting pregnant in high school i was able to complete My AAS in Nursing & then conplete my Bachelors through a part time bridge program while also gaining 1 year of ER experience. My Aunt has offered us her paid off apartment in The Crown Heights area of BK for a reduced rent of 700$. I have 2 job offers at 2 hospitals in NYC. Lenox Hill & New york methodist. ( i already endorsed my RN license) I guess what im asking here is

what is the most effective way to relocate me & my son to nyc? ( id pack light , just our necessities)
Should i continue with the process of selling my car?
What is the best daycare/ nanny service in brooklyn or manhattan depending on where i take the job?
I have 7k in savings, is this enough ? ( I HAVE NO STUDENT DEBT)
Would i be able to survive/ live on a 72k salary without struggling or recieving assistance. ( im smart with my money).
What is the closest park to crown heights?
Is crown heights safe? I do have some knowledge of the gangs residing in the close areas of brownsville and east new york but not alot.
How are the schools in this area?
Where's the main shopping area? ( stores,grocerys,laundry etc)

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR ANY HELP !!
Not many single-parent 20 year-olds are licensed RNs, have $7,000 in savings, are debt-free and are lined up for a $72,000 nursing job. Seems like you've handled your business, real well, despite the circumstances!

1. See if those jobs pay relocation expenses. I don't know how hospitals are in this regard.

2. Make sure if, and when, your aunt sells the house, she gives you ample notice. Crown Heights is mad hot. My uncle has had his house since the early 70s, and I just saw it hit the $1 million mark in value. And folk are coming hard with cash! Like I said, make sure Auntie gives you ample time. You and her can work out what's ample time!

3. Two things of concern: a) housing; that is if you don't live with your aunt. Unfortunately, there's a LOT, I mean a lot, of housing discrimination in Brooklyn; race, income, marital/parental status, etc! Watch out for that! A friend of mine is from Petersburg, and got turned down nine times for an apt in Bed Stuy, despite being a schoolteacher with two masters degrees! b) schools for your son, in that area, may have questions. Check that out. And wherever your son goes, make sure you are an active parent!

3. Prospect Park is about a mile away. Closer to you is the park in which the Brooklyn Children's Museum sits, on Brooklyn Ave and Kingston. That's a nice neighborhood park.

4. Downtown Brooklyn is the main shopping area, whether it's Fulton Mall or Atlantic Center. A 15-minute subway ride away.

5. Does your baby father pay child support? I know you say he's 'uninvolved', but I would check with an attorney to see if you can go after him. Whether he's 'involved' does not mean he shouldn't be obligated.

Just curious, how's the VA town you're from? You said you wanted a 'better life' for your son?

Othewise, good luck!

Old 03-05-2016, 08:49 AM

Something I forgot to add......

I noticed that Methodist has gotten more 'crowded'. It may be due to Long Island College Hospital closing, and Methodist picking up their patients, but I can't confirm that! Just an observation!

Old 03-05-2016, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zxephyr View Post
Is this a trick question? 72K at 20? Even with a child, that is pretty decent . You will be ok. You may want to get rid of your car if you don't want to worry about parking, but I won't say that you wouldn't need it.
The car may have to go!

Some streets, such as Lincoln Place, are so small, they have one-sided parking. Back in the day, the cars used to be 'half-up on the sidewalk'! That's how small those streets are!

Old 03-05-2016, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylakjg View Post
Are groceries super expensive? Is their anywhere to shop in bulk?
Both Costco and BJ's are now in Brooklyn!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City