Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2016, 05:15 PM

8 posts, read 11,147 times

Advertisements

Ok So Ill be Very Descriptive so i can get accurate & detailed answwrs.
Im a single 20 year old mother of a 1 year old boy. ( my sons father is uninvolved and has also signed over his rights). I currently reside in Va but want to give my son a better life. My mother & father have been very supportive. Despite getting pregnant in high school i was able to complete My AAS in Nursing & then conplete my Bachelors through a part time bridge program while also gaining 1 year of ER experience. My Aunt has offered us her paid off apartment in The Crown Heights area of BK for a reduced rent of 700$. I have 2 job offers at 2 hospitals in NYC. Lenox Hill & New york methodist. ( i already endorsed my RN license) I guess what im asking here is

what is the most effective way to relocate me & my son to nyc? ( id pack light , just our necessities)
Should i continue with the process of selling my car?
What is the best daycare/ nanny service in brooklyn or manhattan depending on where i take the job?
I have 7k in savings, is this enough ? ( I HAVE NO STUDENT DEBT)
Would i be able to survive/ live on a 72k salary without struggling or recieving assistance. ( im smart with my money).
What is the closest park to crown heights?
Is crown heights safe? I do have some knowledge of the gangs residing in the close areas of brownsville and east new york but not alot.
How are the schools in this area?
Where's the main shopping area? ( stores,grocerys,laundry etc)

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR ANY HELP !!

Last edited by Kaylakjg; 02-28-2016 at 05:17 PM.. Reason: To be more descriptive
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2016, 05:51 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,127,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylakjg View Post
Ok So Ill be Very Descriptive so i can get accurate & detailed answwrs.
Im a single 20 year old mother of a 1 year old boy. ( my sons father is uninvolved and has also signed over his rights). I currently reside in Va but want to give my son a better life. My mother & father have been very supportive. Despite getting pregnant in high school i was able to complete My AAS in Nursing & then conplete my Bachelors through a part time bridge program while also gaining 1 year of ER experience. My Aunt has offered us her paid off apartment in The Crown Heights area of BK for a reduced rent of 700$. I have 2 job offers at 2 hospitals in NYC. Lenox Hill & New york methodist. ( i already endorsed my RN license) I guess what im asking here is

what is the most effective way to relocate me & my son to nyc? ( id pack light , just our necessities)
Should i continue with the process of selling my car?
What is the best daycare/ nanny service in brooklyn or manhattan depending on where i take the job?
I have 7k in savings, is this enough ? ( I HAVE NO STUDENT DEBT)
Would i be able to survive/ live on a 72k salary without struggling or recieving assistance. ( im smart with my money).
What is the closest park to crown heights?
Is crown heights safe? I do have some knowledge of the gangs residing in the close areas of brownsville and east new york but not alot.
How are the schools in this area?
Where's the main shopping area? ( stores,grocerys,laundry etc)

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR ANY HELP !!
Sounds like you are doing very well given your circumstances having a child so young. Crown Heights has some crime problems but it's also seen a huge amount of gentrification lately, so I would imagine that as long as you use a normal amount of caution that you should be ok.

$700 for an apartment along with a $72K job lined up is really good. I think you'll be fine without additional assistance, although I have to say I don't really know what childcare costs are. Those can be pretty high. Still, with that salary and such a cheap apartment, I wouldn't think you'd need to worry.

As far as nannies and childcare goes, the best way to find people is to network among neighbors. You MIGHT be able to do that online by joining one of the private Yahoo groups for people in neighborhoods like Crown Heights and Prospect Heights, which is next to Crown Heights. The reason I say "might" is that you will need to request to join the group and then be ok'd by a moderator.
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...tsparents/info
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...tsParents/info

Good luck!

Old 02-28-2016, 05:53 PM

Thank you for the help Henna. Ill search for those groups

Old 02-28-2016, 05:57 PM

46 posts, read 36,081 times
The biggest expenditure in NYC is rent, since you got a place lined up for 700$ you will do absolutely fine!

Old 02-28-2016, 06:45 PM

60 posts, read 46,129 times
Does the hospital have a day care service? Or somewhere they can recommend? Surely many of their employees have children too. It's sounds like you'll do great here. Good luck!

Old 02-28-2016, 07:04 PM

4,771 posts, read 6,565,677 times
Get your mother and father to move up here with you and take care of your baby.

If your hospital doesn't offer child care, you may have a hard time finding reliable help, especially if you are commuting and doing shift work.

I give you credit for getting your RN and a year's worth of experience while raising your son, and being only 20 besides! Best of luck to you.

Old 02-28-2016, 07:24 PM

47 posts, read 45,031 times
Is this a trick question? 72K at 20? Even with a child, that is pretty decent . You will be ok. You may want to get rid of your car if you don't want to worry about parking, but I won't say that you wouldn't need it.

Old 02-28-2016, 08:11 PM

Thanks !

Old 02-28-2016, 08:13 PM

My mother refuses to move to nyc she says she hates cold weather even those she was born and raised in boston lol and also claims its too much for her besides she is retiring to raleigh in 6 months and she has done more than enough for us !! Thanks tho��

Old 02-28-2016, 08:14 PM

Are groceries super expensive? Is their anywhere to shop in bulk?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City