Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2016, 07:29 PM

1,712 posts, read 2,903,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2dbronx View Post
I post this link with pain in my heart

NY Post Article dated Saturday 2/27

Residential home prices in The Bronx to plunge by 3.7 percent

The Bronx has a tough time shedding its past | New York Post

"Bronx residents were asked by Homes.com where they would like to live in New York City, and 40 percent said they would prefer to live in any borough except The Bronx"
I'm surprised that it's ONLY at 40%. I'm also surprised that other people are surprised at this article.

The Bronx is the embodiment of everything low-class despite the handful of decent neighborhoods there and a couple spots in Brooklyn being a bit worse.

Everyone's hoping for these magical super-fancy Aristocrats to show up and take over but there's still PLENTY of closer areas that these people would consider before looking at this area. Be glad that there's still some semi-affordable places left in this city.

But hey, at least your not in Jersey.

Last edited by MemoryMaker; 02-29-2016 at 07:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2016, 09:03 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,227,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I didn't read the article.

With that being said, I think we know the issues that the Bronx currently faces. However, the change is starting already - I just think it will take longer than Brooklyn or Queens, that's all.

There will be a day where you can no longer buy a lucy on the Concourse.
It wasn't much of an article

Old 02-29-2016, 10:42 PM

7,903 posts, read 7,866,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memorymaker View Post
i'm surprised that it's only at 40%. I'm also surprised that other people are surprised at this article.

The bronx is the embodiment of everything low-class despite the handful of decent neighborhoods there and a couple spots in brooklyn being a bit worse.

Everyone's hoping for these magical super-fancy aristocrats to show up and take over but there's still plenty of closer areas that these people would consider before looking at this area. Be glad that there's still some semi-affordable places left in this city.

But hey, at least your not in jersey.
+1

the complete gentrification of east harlem will happen before it spills over to the bronx

Old 02-29-2016, 11:00 PM

31,856 posts, read 26,880,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
+1

the complete gentrification of east harlem will happen before it spills over to the bronx

Which then means never as East Harlem has too many housing projects to ever "fully" gentrify. You'd have to do what was done elsewhere first; evict residents of PJs, tear them down and rebuild something new for total gentrification to happen.

Old 02-29-2016, 11:07 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,460,345 times
I know East Harlem as a whole won't gentrify, but there are some blocks in the lower part of East Harlem which are pretty much indistinguishable from the UES

Old 03-01-2016, 03:54 AM

1,253 posts, read 1,561,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Geography determines destiny. I also read about Staten Island which will also see a dip in home prices. Not that this is bad, but this gives a chance for middle income person and families to buy in, instead of buying what it is hot and they cant really afford it. Overall back to my comment. Geography determines destiny. Bronx and Staten Island is far from the Manhattan core except for North Shore Staten Island which can reach Manhattan via ferry and immediate areas of the South Bronx south of Yankee Stadium. Bronx and Staten Island is way out of the way and have very long commute times to Manhattan where Brooklyn and Queens have very quick commute times into Manhattan core.

Remember, Bronx is practically Upstate. Staten Island is practically New Jersey.

I love the Bronx, but at the same time I'm tired of it. Guess what I hate other boroughs as well and I don't care much for it.
There are parts of Brooklyn and Queens that have long commute times into Manhattan as well like Coney Island, The Rockaways, much of Queens is basically like living in Nassau county.

The thing with the Bronx is that it doesn't have much of a draw, similar to Staten Island. However I find that life is much easier to live in these boroughs than the other three.

Old 03-01-2016, 06:46 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,942,745 times
In the current NYC people will pay a lot of money to live next to or even on the projects. Luxury housing has been built on NYCHA land in Chelsea.

Very expensive housing has been built in LIC comparatively close to Queensbridge, a massive housing project in LIC.

The rents for PRIVATE housing in East Harlem has skyrocketed. I know people paying $2500 for a two bedroom apartment in EAST HARLEM. Right around the corner from the projects. In NYC today people don't automatically faint just because there are housing projects and/or poor people in an area. I feel that this attitude from some older posters are from people whose concepts of NYC are stuck in the 80s.

I think a lot of people on this thread disparage East Harlem because of large number of Blacks and Hispanics. Ironically many of them increasingly could not afford to LIVE in EAST HARLEM, unless they moved into a housing project.

East Harlem certainly WON'T become all white and if that's what you mean by gentrification, that isn't happening. But you will have increasing numbers of whites and asians moving in, and you have had more co-op conversion and more condos coming up.

Old 03-02-2016, 01:12 PM

1,418 posts, read 2,544,964 times
I don't blame 40% of Bronxites live in the ghetto slum. Who would want to live there? Not me....

Old 03-02-2016, 01:16 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,460,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertee View Post
I don't blame 40% of Bronxites live in the ghetto slum. Who would want to live there? Not me....
Much, probably even most of the Bronx isn't really a "ghetto slum"

Old 03-02-2016, 01:43 PM

1,418 posts, read 2,544,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Much, probably even most of the Bronx isn't really a "ghetto slum"

50% is thuggish and occupied by ghetto fabulous ppl with ghetto ideals and attitudes. They continue to bloc vote for idiots who do nothing and have Zero vision.

Last edited by Mistertee; 03-02-2016 at 01:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: