Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 10:48 PM

1,494 posts, read 2,720,801 times

Advertisements

Part of why I moved away is that this kind of **** was breaking my ****ing angst-filled punk heart. St. Marks was my heaven. I figured if I left before everything I loved about the EV was obliterated I'd be less upset. Nope.

I got my first leather jacket from T&V.

Is Andromeda still on St. Marks sporting that big ol' picture of the Prince Albert as you walk in? Don't lie, you know you want one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2016, 11:10 PM

31,885 posts, read 26,916,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkonost View Post
Part of why I moved away is that this kind of **** was breaking my ****ing angst-filled punk heart. St. Marks was my heaven. I figured if I left before everything I loved about the EV was obliterated I'd be less upset. Nope.

I got my first leather jacket from T&V.

Is Andromeda still on St. Marks sporting that big ol' picture of the Prince Albert as you walk in? Don't lie, you know you want one.

Still there and like everyone else these days have FB page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Andro...19220521477369

Old 03-02-2016, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
While can understand what you are saying it isn't the City's total fault.

Bowery, LES, East Village, etc.. were hellholes which is why rents both commercial and residential were so low. Again people like Pat Fields saw where things were going and bought which is what any smart business or person does if they want to remain in an area *and* have control over future costs.

Just did some further reading and now must correct my previous statement. Turns out owner of T&V is a *minority* owner of the Saint Mark's Place building.

St. Mark’s Place: Trash and Vaudeville closing amid a sense of immortality | am New York

This sort of puts things into perspective. In that owners of building may be planning to cash in as it were.

Old 03-02-2016, 11:16 PM

As long as that prince albert stands like a big middle finger in the face of gentrification, there is hope.

Old 03-03-2016, 08:19 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,495,772 times
I am so glad I got to experience the east village when the way it was before it changed, when I read this the other day about T&V, I was surprised but not shocked....that area is nothing like it used to be. Me and my friends used to love walking around there, I went back in like 2009 and was like where the F am I ? lol

Old 03-03-2016, 08:40 AM

425 posts, read 391,338 times
Quote:
Writing was on the wall when NYU began expanding onto Third Avenue and further east. Once those new dorms were built on Third people on Saint Mark's Pl. should have been on notice. They certainly should have seen the writing on the wall when the corner of Third and Astor Pl across from Cooper Union (where Starbucks once was) got redeveloped into that shiny new tower building. Once those plans were announced anyone with an ounce of sense should have but two and two together.
Well before that building went up. Coney Island High closing was the turning point for that area IMO, it was likely earlier than that. Definitely when there was three Starbucks within 2 blocks (1 in B&N, 1 at Astor Place, 1 across from Cooper Union)

Old 03-03-2016, 09:07 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,766,078 times
Quote:
Writing was on the wall when NYU began expanding onto Third Avenue and further east. Once those new dorms were built on Third people on Saint Mark's Pl. should have been on notice. They certainly should have seen the writing on the wall when the corner of Third and Astor Pl across from Cooper Union (where Starbucks once was) got redeveloped into that shiny new tower building. Once those plans were announced anyone with an ounce of sense should have but two and two together.
Yea that tower is horrific.

Cooper Square was one of my favorite NY vistas. I would emerge from the 6 train and automatically hear Sweet Jane playing in my head (live version from Rock & Roll Animal).

I guess the "Those were different Times" line might still be applicable.

Old 03-04-2016, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
I am so glad I got to experience the east village when the way it was before it changed, when I read this the other day about T&V, I was surprised but not shocked....that area is nothing like it used to be. Me and my friends used to love walking around there, I went back in like 2009 and was like where the F am I ? lol
Same here, I grew up there when it was a drug and crime infested cesspit from hell. Best childhood ever, I kid you not. Now it's like some kind of f-ed up kiddie playground for NYU douchebags and insecure transplants who want to emulate their inner Carrie.

Old 03-04-2016, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Energystream View Post
Well before that building went up. Coney Island High closing was the turning point for that area IMO, it was likely earlier than that. Definitely when there was three Starbucks within 2 blocks (1 in B&N, 1 at Astor Place, 1 across from Cooper Union)

What I am saying is the redevelopment of that part of lower Third Avenue was cemented by the new hotel/tower. Yes, things were well underway by then but you don't put up a building like that unless you are sure the area will support, especially a hotel.

Old 03-04-2016, 01:35 AM

4,294 posts, read 4,423,637 times
Well at least Save The Robots is still open...right ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City