Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2016, 10:01 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,881,116 times

Advertisements

This rent prices are a joke. Charging 30% of your gross income is going to feel like 50% of your salary once you factor in after tax dollars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
The development has a new owner, and residents are hoping that this one will prove to be better. So far, so good. Blackstone says it is looking at Stuy Town as a long-range investment. The previous owner wanted to use the development as an ATM.
Don't fool yourself Blackstone is a private equity firm who's only obligation is to make as much money for their investors and shareholders. This is a ATM for them, only difference is the ratio of how much the tenants vs taxpayer will be paying them for this new stabilized apartments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2016, 10:05 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,231,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
This rent prices are a joke. Charging 30% of your gross income is going to feel like 50% of your salary once you factor in after tax dollars.
I already pay almost 50% of my income for rent. I'm just in a studio in the bronx too. Many Ny-ers do. I bet at least half of all ny-ers pay at least 30% of their income for rent and don't live in lux pats in the sky.

Old 03-04-2016, 11:45 PM

31,890 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post

Don't fool yourself Blackstone is a private equity firm who's only obligation is to make as much money for their investors and shareholders. This is a ATM for them, only difference is the ratio of how much the tenants vs taxpayer will be paying them for this new stabilized apartments.

True dat!

Blackstone was smart enough to get Mayor de Boob and the City by their short and curlies in extracting a pretty sweet tax deal and other goodies for keeping STPCV "affordable". That bit runs out pretty much in 20 years, a time frame that is nothing to real estate families/persons. In twenty years many of the current residents who made such a fuss will likely be dead or otherwise have vacated their apartments. There will have been three or more changes of mayor and city council so who knows what the priorities will be then.

The Associated supermarket down there is being kicked out, and there probably will be more changes as time goes on as STPCV slowly morphs into something that will draw more upscale tenants.

Old 03-08-2016, 01:19 PM

7,903 posts, read 7,875,928 times
i applied a few days ago. i took a walk through the development, before i applied, and it looks decent. i saw the associated market, and it looks more "upscale" than the ones uptown before they changed over to cherry valley/city fresh

Old 03-08-2016, 06:58 PM

4,766 posts, read 6,555,721 times
I think the low-income apartments are a great deal. I'm not as sure about the middle-income ones, but even those are cheaper than market rate. It's a very convenient area when the L is running, and there are several bus lines that are handy. We have our own ice-skating rink in the winter and a farmers' market in the summer.

Old 03-09-2016, 07:26 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Throwing out a waiting list after two years sounds like the stupidest idea any landlord has ever devised.

Hell Up in Harlem...I hope you get in.

Old 03-09-2016, 09:49 AM

7,903 posts, read 7,875,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Throwing out a waiting list after two years sounds like the stupidest idea any landlord has ever devised.

Hell Up in Harlem...I hope you get in.
thanks kefir, if i get in, i would have to be along 14th street. i can't imagine living deep in the developments. PCST is extensive.

Old 03-11-2016, 09:36 AM

329 posts, read 682,107 times
It's a beautiful Property!!! I would love to live there!! They even have an ice skating rink!! But of course I'm fall in the "Middle Class" and the Middle class is hardly represented in these lotteries.

Old 03-11-2016, 06:04 PM

520 posts, read 600,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
The Associated supermarket down there is being kicked out, and there probably will be more changes as time goes on as STPCV slowly morphs into something that will draw more upscale tenants.
Do you know what's replacing the Associated? I didn't shop there much, but I liked the place.

Old 03-11-2016, 06:42 PM

31,890 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramercy View Post
Do you know what's replacing the Associated? I didn't shop there much, but I liked the place.
Don't know what is going on with that space.

Last word was the STPCV tenant's association (aka persons who rent but think they own the property) complained bitterly about losing "another" affordable supermarket in the area. Petitions were draw up, protests organized, elected officials involved all to put the squeeze on Blackrock to grant assurances.

https://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/201...on-14th-street

https://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/201...-grocery-store

When you consider the many poor reviews you have to wonder why anyone would want to keep the place: https://foursquare.com/v/associated-...64a520f2a223e3

http://www.yelp.com/biz/associated-s...ets-new-york-2

Last edited by BugsyPal; 03-11-2016 at 06:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: