Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2016, 11:39 AM

607 posts, read 602,070 times

Advertisements

Never applied for a housing lottery before, but yesterday I got an e-mail informing me that I was randomly selected to be put on the wait list for the Peter Cooper Village housing. I don't know what my odds are, but cool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2016, 08:41 PM

99 posts, read 190,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiffaNYC View Post
Never applied for a housing lottery before, but yesterday I got an e-mail informing me that I was randomly selected to be put on the wait list for the Peter Cooper Village housing. I don't know what my odds are, but cool.
Yeah and the notice also said that if you number doesn't come up within 2 years, they start all over again and run another lottery. There were over 50,000 people applying for this. Obviously they won't go through that many numbers in 2 years. The whole process is ridiculous and absurd.

Old 04-25-2016, 05:10 AM

4,771 posts, read 6,568,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiffaNYC View Post
Congrats and good luck! There should be about 300 apartments available each year.

Old 04-25-2016, 07:41 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,073,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
So they are using 2015 taxes? I don't fit the income bracket now but I may by the time I'm called in years from now for an interview.

Sure,
Even if you are nowhere near the limits now, who knows his situation after a sometimes decade long wait.

Old 04-25-2016, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Sure,
Even if you are nowhere near the limits now, who knows his situation after a sometimes decade long wait.
The Stuy Town waiting list is good only for two years, and then everyone has to reapply. I bet that's part of the reason why.

Old 04-25-2016, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieNYC View Post
Yeah and the notice also said that if you number doesn't come up within 2 years, they start all over again and run another lottery. There were over 50,000 people applying for this. Obviously they won't go through that many numbers in 2 years. The whole process is ridiculous and absurd.
Yeah, I'm inclined to agree with you, but I guess you never know. I'm not getting my hopes up. Besides, I just scored a room that's well within my budget in a 2 bedroom apartment in the awesome Nolita/Little Italy area, so I'm beyond happy where I am.

Old 04-25-2016, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
Congrats and good luck! There should be about 300 apartments available each year.
Thank you

Old 04-25-2016, 12:13 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,073,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
The Stuy Town waiting list is good only for two years, and then everyone has to reapply. I bet that's part of the reason why.
That REALLY sucks.
I have waited over a decade to be contacted by some of these joints.

Old 04-27-2016, 02:17 PM

64 posts, read 176,748 times
log numbers guys? I'm 8,5xx. Friend of mine is like 16,xxx and a family member of mine is 10,xxx.

It's obvious none of us out of the 3 are going to make it in this cycle, but I wonder if that disqualifies us from applying to the next lottery in 2 years?

Everyone I know who applied got a log number which is good, kinda strange. TONS of turnover at Stuy town. and TONS of units. but I'm not sure if that helps us; I think the units we are applying for are specifically set aside? They won't pull from their regular inventory?

I don't even know if I'd want to live there if I was lucky enough to get a lower log number and make it through the process to be honest with you.

Old 04-27-2016, 04:41 PM

From what I was reading the other day, Blackstone has committed to keeping 5,000 units affordable. That includes the apartments currently occupied by long-time residents. Those units are the ones that haven't been renovated. When someone moves out of one of those, that apartment will stay affordable and go to someone on the list.

I assume that the fancy renovated apartments that go for big bucks will remain that way and not be part of the lottery.

Also from what I was reading, 90% of the new affordable apartments will be for the middle-class bracket and only 10% will be for low income.

As far as I know, anyone can apply for the new lottery in two years.

A friend of mine entered, and her number is 6,xxx.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: