Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 07:30 PM

1,369 posts, read 1,253,985 times

Advertisements

How about the public we risk our lives every day.95% of the public do not carry weapons, most can not defend themselves.
This is where the good cops step in. I do appreciate the good ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2016, 08:03 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,888,702 times
no. they should not just use auxiliary cops. most of the time they are rookies. let em put some vets in the subway. they know what to look for.

Old 03-02-2016, 08:11 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannik508 View Post
Cops risk their lives everyday dealing with a__holes and it seems many people don't appreciate that fact.
No, that is not what we are saying.

That same logic of thinking means that we should revere Catholic religious (priests, nuns, sisters, brothers...) just because they take vows and do good work regardless of whatever else happens there....

Give much props to NYPD, but that does not mean am blind to the faults of individual members. I've given up counting how many times I've seen NYPD cruising down the street with one or both officers staring at their smart phones (yes including the driver). In fact almost got hit by a NYPD car because the officer was making a left turn while staring down at his phone.

I've seen smoking on duty, four peeps in a patrol car yukking up and driving around as if they were cruising Cropsey Avene and Bay Terrace on a Saturday night back in the day...

Old 03-02-2016, 09:12 PM

1,369 posts, read 1,253,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
No, that is not what we are saying.

That same logic of thinking means that we should revere Catholic religious (priests, nuns, sisters, brothers...) just because they take vows and do good work regardless of whatever else happens there....

Give much props to NYPD, but that does not mean am blind to the faults of individual members. I've given up counting how many times I've seen NYPD cruising down the street with one or both officers staring at their smart phones (yes including the driver). In fact almost got hit by a NYPD car because the officer was making a left turn while staring down at his phone.

I've seen smoking on duty, four peeps in a patrol car yukking up and driving around as if they were cruising Cropsey Avene and Bay Terrace on a Saturday night back in the day...
Agree with your post, this kind of behavior is inappropriate. I've also seen this happen.

Old 03-02-2016, 10:29 PM

236 posts, read 271,754 times
It's a brilliant idea; slashing remains a concern, especially along subway lines and in/out of subway stations. I recently caught the E train at penn station around 2 am on a Saturday morning, and while it wasn't ideal I felt very safe due to the police presence there. A smart move.

Old 09-11-2018, 08:48 AM

112 posts, read 249,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanniebaby7 View Post
Agree, 100% most of them are truly out of shape... lol...Not like the NYFD. These guys stay in shape and they save lives.
Firefighters hardley make mistakes during a rescue. If anything they risk their lives.
First off The City Lowered their standards after 911 when less people were signing up for the job, they started letting midgets and fatties show up at the academy on day on

Have the FDNY show up to work 5-6 days a week, work a day shift, 4pm to Midnight and Midnight to 8am all within two week period, stand outside their firehouse for 8-12 hours a day, prohibit sleeping, cooking, and working out during work hours and lets see how the FDNY start looking. Want to see a firefighter start crying? take away their 24 hour charts and mutual tour swaps that allow them to come to work once a week

FDNY has a tough job when they are working, but they weren’t given the nickname “Land Pirates†for nothing,

Old 09-11-2018, 09:04 AM

112 posts, read 249,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
They should use auxiliary cops not actual cops. Maybe actual cops in the tourist areas and high crime area.
Lack of insight on law enforcement

Auxiliaries are just eyes and ears and are supposed to do non law enforcement duties, assist in traffic assignments and the like

Only police will be trained, equipped and expected to deal with quality of life enforcement, aided cases, crime prevention, emotionally disturbed persons, and making summary arrests

Patrol within the NYC subway system requires additional and specific training. When the Transit Police was still in existence (1953-1995) as a separate and distinct department, newly graduated officers were required to recieve 4 weeks of additional training directly following the 6 month long NYPD academy. This training was essential in preparing officers for the type of (mainly) solo patrol in the subway.

Auxiliaries are not the answer

Old 09-11-2018, 10:16 AM

16,083 posts, read 6,848,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebyz View Post
Great idea. They should also disallow cops from being able to park anywhere they please around police stations thus forcing many of them to take public transportation to and from work like the rest of us.

That was not nice.
You should learn to respect those who are willing to risk their lives so you won't have to lose yours.

Old 09-11-2018, 10:35 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,085,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagpiper View Post
Lack of insight on law enforcement

Auxiliaries are just eyes and ears and are supposed to do non law enforcement duties, assist in traffic assignments and the like

Only police will be trained, equipped and expected to deal with quality of life enforcement, aided cases, crime prevention, emotionally disturbed persons, and making summary arrests

Patrol within the NYC subway system requires additional and specific training. When the Transit Police was still in existence (1953-1995) as a separate and distinct department, newly graduated officers were required to recieve 4 weeks of additional training directly following the 6 month long NYPD academy. This training was essential in preparing officers for the type of (mainly) solo patrol in the subway.

Auxiliaries are not the answer
Auxiliaries can be a pre-deterrence to crime.

I remember in Washington Heights they had auxiliaries cops in certain corners where young kids were acting up and soon enough those kids left those certain corners.

I don't see the possibility of a cop in every train. An auxiliary cop can confused the common dumb criminal.

What needs to happen is an update in the security systems of all trains. Hot stations (tourist, commercial and high crime areas) can receive their own Transit Police station.

Also, "in 2008, the NYPD revised the training course to include training in location and use of pressure points, dealing with domestic violence situations, firearm safety, and terrorism awareness."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Yo...xiliary_Police

Old 09-11-2018, 11:11 AM

8,694 posts, read 11,081,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
That was not nice.
You should learn to respect those who are willing to risk their lives so you won't have to lose yours.
The police parking placard abuse is well documented. Also, its is a form of stealing from taxpayers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City