Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Move to New York City: Bronx, Queens, nyc apartment rentals, rental, Westchester.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 01:51 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,656,890 times

Advertisements

You will take home approx $2k a month on that salary. You absolutely cannot afford $1600/mo for rent, and you cannot afford to keep any sort of car. And this is for 2 people?

Not going to happen.

If you go to the burbs you won't have to pay for parking, but you'll need a train pass to NYC ($300)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2008, 03:48 PM

7 posts, read 14,421 times
On the contrary, Ace, recent statistics rank San Fran as the #1 most expensive area to live in the country.

And the commute would not be 1.5 hrs unless you mean driving, which would make no sense to drive to work in the city. By train its no more than an hour unless you are literally all the way up past Peekskill - which I'm assuming she would not be.

And honestly, I looked for apartments just 3 years ago and there is no way she'd have a hard time finding a 1 BR apartment for $1600 or less in Westchester - even in the good areas. I looked at tons of $1400-$1500 TWO-BR places. Again, the real question would be if she could really afford $1600/month.

Old 02-12-2008, 04:07 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
Ace, this is the NYC forum. NYC has 5 boroughs. I suggest you go look for a different forum that is Manhattan-only, as that seems to be your exclusive obsession.

Old 02-12-2008, 04:29 PM

82 posts, read 545,935 times
No offense..I love Westchester but people move to NYC to actually live in the city or outer boroughs.

Old 02-13-2008, 03:10 AM

341 posts, read 902,345 times
Well I'm born and raised in San Francisco. I currently live in a one-bedroom with my Father in the Richmond District. Our monthly rent is $1100 a month. We live in around the areas of 20-25th and Geary. There are a lot of new Russian and Chinese immigrants in the area. The area is very safe and you could find an apartment around for this price.

The Richmond District is probably the only affordable neighborhood out here right now.

If you look around the Inner Richmond, around Clement St., you can find some very affordable apartments. I remember looking at an apartment for $979 a month and it was a one-bedroom.

You can forget about Valencia, Nob Hill, Hayes Valley, Noey Valley, and/or anything that isn't the Richmond District!

Old 02-13-2008, 07:54 AM

274 posts, read 1,108,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoson1irst View Post
On the contrary, Ace, recent statistics rank San Fran as the #1 most expensive area to live in the country.

And the commute would not be 1.5 hrs unless you mean driving, which would make no sense to drive to work in the city. By train its no more than an hour unless you are literally all the way up past Peekskill - which I'm assuming she would not be.

And honestly, I looked for apartments just 3 years ago and there is no way she'd have a hard time finding a 1 BR apartment for $1600 or less in Westchester - even in the good areas. I looked at tons of $1400-$1500 TWO-BR places. Again, the real question would be if she could really afford $1600/month.
The biggest chunk of cost of living is real estate/housing.

NYC is a huge land mass compared to SF, and I suppose NYC could be slighltly less expensive than SF if you factor in the VAST ghetto areas of the Bronx and other boroughs.

But whenever a young person says, "I wanna move to NYC, yay!", chances are they are referring to MANHATTAN, not some rat hole in the Bronx or other borough (or some sleepy suburb in Westchester).

Therefore, when comparing apples to apples (i.e., Manhattan below 96th street vs. nice SF neighborhoods), the cost of living is much lower in SF. Manhattan below 96th street = $2800/mo. average for a 1 bedroom apt.

For $1100/mo., the original poster would get a 1 bedroom in Harlem next to a methadone clinic, sex offender housing unit, or homeless shelter. Or she'd have to move to an outer borough or Jersey. I'd take SF over those options.

Old 02-27-2008, 09:20 AM

7 posts, read 14,421 times
Ace,

Nobody really wants to live in Manhattan unless they are rich or a celebrity. I live here. I know. And there are more than enough things to do in many of the suburbs, but more importantly, as I said, you are 45 minutes away from Grand Central and Times Square. That is absolutely nothing and you could work, play and so everything you want in the city, without having the ridiculous prices of rent, the dirtiness (honestl, Manhattan is not exactly pristine clean either), crowdedness, hassle, and frustration of being in the city. So yea, people often do think of moving to NYC as "yay living in the city, not some ghetto boro or sleepy suburb", but those are generally the people who have no idea what theyre talking about and those people very quickly change their tune when they get here. Nobody really lives in manhattan for a long time because they realize they can get every single benefit of it without all the crap by living close to, rather than in the city. And there are decent areas of the bronx and even brooklyn. Long Island is another option, or north jersey. Again, living in a nearby suburb is by far the better and totally affordable option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Rock View Post
The biggest chunk of cost of living is real estate/housing.

NYC is a huge land mass compared to SF, and I suppose NYC could be slighltly less expensive than SF if you factor in the VAST ghetto areas of the Bronx and other boroughs.

But whenever a young person says, "I wanna move to NYC, yay!", chances are they are referring to MANHATTAN, not some rat hole in the Bronx or other borough (or some sleepy suburb in Westchester).

Therefore, when comparing apples to apples (i.e., Manhattan below 96th street vs. nice SF neighborhoods), the cost of living is much lower in SF. Manhattan below 96th street = $2800/mo. average for a 1 bedroom apt.

For $1100/mo., the original poster would get a 1 bedroom in Harlem next to a methadone clinic, sex offender housing unit, or homeless shelter. Or she'd have to move to an outer borough or Jersey. I'd take SF over those options.

Old 04-05-2008, 01:43 AM

93 posts, read 234,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoson1irst View Post
Ace,

Nobody really wants to live in Manhattan unless they are rich or a celebrity. I live here. I know.
I have a cousin who grew up in Brooklyn and before she hit 21 she promptly moved to the upper east side with her girl friends. Manhattan is the place to be if you have the connection to make good money in the city, go out a lot, and like to be in the center of the universe. The outter boroughs just aren't the same thing.

Old 04-05-2008, 10:35 AM

1,063 posts, read 2,462,138 times
Usaku ~ As someone who has lived in or around all of the places you've mentioned, do yourself a big favor and stay in CA if you can do it. I wish I never had to leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City