Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 11:15 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,046,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Amsterdam is mostly fine up around there. If you wanna see ghetto around there, walk the Hamilton Place strech from about 137 to 142 when you get a chance. Just be careful Mario.
Hamilton place is between Amsterdam and St Nick?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2008, 11:20 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,241,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Hamilton place is between Amsterdam and St Nick?
It's between Amsterdam and Broadway. It's one of those small avenues it only runs from 136 to 144. But all the blocks along that stretch are pretty bad for the most part.

Old 02-10-2008, 12:07 PM

307 posts, read 2,507,772 times
Quote:
I dont live there but I go to school at 137th and Amsterdam. On the bus I pass the neighborhood daily, and to tell you the truth I dont like it much. Every corner has a drug dealer or two. Mind you this is from 2-4 pm. I imagine it is much worse at night. West Harlem also had a high crime rate this year, comparable to many of the Bronx neighborhoods. Also too much of a ghetto look for my taste. Graffiti is everywhere and the streets look filthy.

Not a good place. To make sure go when it's really late. Also early because it appears to me that it's 24/7. The 1 train I haven't had any complaints with it. Sometimes there's a bum or two in the train but it's ok.

OK there are a few drug dealers...so what? Mind your own business. As long as they dont bother you. And yes there are a few places which seem not that pretty. But also a lot which do. Harlem has its own flair. Its historical and interesting. I really dont think you have to worry about anything. As long as you dont hang out at the more ghetto-like-parts you fine.

Old 02-10-2008, 12:11 PM

Quote:
NooYowkur,

There is a lot of graffiti. ESPECIALLY on Amsterdam. Wether it is the iron gates, a building or a lamp post, there is plenty in Harlem.

EveryScape - New York, NY

That is a cool website. Go to 147th and Amsterdam and tell me you cant see graffiti there. Also gotta love the loiterers down the block in the afternoon.

Whats wrong with Graffiti??? Is it bothering you that much??? Are you serious???

Old 02-10-2008, 12:20 PM

lol Krazy.....your my new sparring partner. You want you'll get:

You just cant say "oh there's drug dealers ignore them".......are you serious? The drug trade is so open in the area that it will affect you. Most crime comes as a result of drugs. You can mind your own buissness all you want the fact is that it's in your neighborhood and you just can ignore it. Unless people want to be like you and accept a lower standard of living by just ignoring it. Drugs are not suppose to be in any desirable neighborhoods. You living in that ****hole that is East Harlem has clouded your vision on what a nice neighborhood is. Poor thing.

Graffiti is ugly. Especially in Upper Manhattan. Sheesh.

Dont bother me much. Where I live graffiti is EVERYWHERE although they try to remove it....unlike Harlem/Wash Heights were they let it continue. All im saying is that it makes a neighborhood look ghetto, gritty and downright ugly.

Old 02-10-2008, 12:51 PM

44 posts, read 252,078 times
My babysitter lives around 145th and Bwy and seems to think it's pretty safe. She's a recent college graduate. However she is black, if that makes a difference.

Old 02-10-2008, 02:47 PM

Quote:
You just cant say "oh there's drug dealers ignore them".......are you serious? The drug trade is so open in the area that it will affect you. Most crime comes as a result of drugs. You can mind your own buissness all you want the fact is that it's in your neighborhood and you just can ignore it. Unless people want to be like you and accept a lower standard of living by just ignoring it. Drugs are not suppose to be in any desirable neighborhoods. You living in that ****hole that is East Harlem has clouded your vision on what a nice neighborhood is. Poor thing.

Graffiti is ugly. Especially in Upper Manhattan. Sheesh.

Dont bother me much. Where I live graffiti is EVERYWHERE although they try to remove it....unlike Harlem/Wash Heights were they let it continue. All im saying is that it makes a neighborhood look ghetto, gritty and downright ugly.

Dude...lighten up. Everything seems to bother you and everything is totally ghetto, yes some parts are I agree but that doesnt make all of them dangerous. To the few drug dealers. Wtf do you wanna do about it??? Just do your biz and let them do theirs. It does not effect you. Not at all. Unless you are involved with some crime activities.
And I dont see Graffiti as an ugly thing, it's art and it's history.

Old 02-10-2008, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRaZy View Post
Dude...lighten up. Everything seems to bother you and everything is totally ghetto, yes some parts are I agree but that doesnt make all of them dangerous. To the few drug dealers. Wtf do you wanna do about it??? Just do your biz and let them do theirs. It does not effect you. Not at all. Unless you are involved with some crime activities.
And I dont see Graffiti as an ugly thing, it's art and it's history.
Im not saying that if you step foot into Harlem you would get your head shot off. I am just saying that the majority of Harlem is a high crime, low income ghetto. Just because you've never been a victim does not mean that crime does not happen. I cant do anything about the drug dealers, neither can you, and that's the problem. Let them do their "biz", you mean the same "biz" that destroys your "precious" East Harlem neighborhood? How the hell does it NOT affect you? So when murders happen in the neighborhood, do you think it's stranger on stranger? Although not like it was before, most murders occur because of drugs. Therefore murders in YOUR neighborhood makes YOUR neighborhood a piece of ****. Crackheads, dopeheads all stumbling over YOUR neighborhood streets, does it not make YOUR neighborhood undesirable? You have been so used to living in ****hole Harlem that your judgement is clouded. You're used to the drug dealers. and gangs, oh did I mention gangs? Latin Kings, bloods etc are all present in your "precious' East Harlem. But of course they have no effect on the neighborhood. Just "ignore them". Sorry toots, ignoring them wont make them go away. I would like to personally tell you that you DONT have to live with drug dealers, you DONT have to be in a gang infested neighborhood. Leave Harlem, and you will see what I mean.

There's more out there.

Old 02-10-2008, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Im not saying that if you step foot into Harlem you would get your head shot off. I am just saying that the majority of Harlem is a high crime, low income ghetto. Just because you've never been a victim does not mean that crime does not happen. I cant do anything about the drug dealers, neither can you, and that's the problem. Let them do their "biz", you mean the same "biz" that destroys your "precious" East Harlem neighborhood? How the hell does it NOT affect you? So when murders happen in the neighborhood, do you think it's stranger on stranger? Although not like it was before, most murders occur because of drugs. Therefore murders in YOUR neighborhood makes YOUR neighborhood a piece of ****. Crackheads, dopeheads all stumbling over YOUR neighborhood streets, does it not make YOUR neighborhood undesirable? You have been so used to living in ****hole Harlem that your judgement is clouded. You're used to the drug dealers. and gangs, oh did I mention gangs? Latin Kings, bloods etc are all present in your "precious' East Harlem. But of course they have no effect on the neighborhood. Just "ignore them". Sorry toots, ignoring them wont make them go away. I would like to personally tell you that you DONT have to live with drug dealers, you DONT have to be in a gang infested neighborhood. Leave Harlem, and you will see what I mean.

There's more out there.

Seriously man you totally exaggerating. On one hand you sayin that it's not like you get shot when you put one foot into Harlem. On the other hand you making it seem like the worst war between junkies and gangs are goin on. What is not true at all. Im totally aware of my neighborhood. And I dont say crime doesnt happen, but it doesnt happen 24/7. You acting real paranoid. Harlem is not the BX.

Old 02-10-2008, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRaZy View Post
Seriously man you totally exaggerating. On one hand you sayin that it's not like you get shot when you put one foot into Harlem. On the other hand you making it seem like the worst war between junkies and gangs are goin on. What is not true at all. Im totally aware of my neighborhood. And I dont say crime doesnt happen, but it doesnt happen 24/7. You acting real paranoid. Harlem is not the BX.
Whatever. You wont get shot on the spot anywhere. But if there was such a place then Harlem would be dam near it. So keep being naive, "drugs dont affect my life blah blah blah...east Harlem is great blah blah" ......also I know that crime doesn't happen 24/7....but why then, in the neighborhood report thread did you not list crime as a con....

oh and I know Harlem is not the Bronx. In the west Bronx, I can walk block aftr block without seeing any housing projects. Also I wont be exposed to a 1,600+ crime rate. I can actually be safer!

Harlem have you ever met Mott Haven? Little do they know that they were both rejects. Alike in many ways and different in few.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City