Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 01:40 PM

6 posts, read 39,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MISS EBONY View Post
AND AS FAR AS BEING OUT LATE BY YOURSELF I WOULDNT AT ANY AGE AND ANY SIZE OR ANY RACE TODAY IT'S DANGEROUS ALL OVER NOT JUST HARLEM JUST BE CAREFUL AND NEVER TRUST ANYONE OR GO ANY WHERE WITH STARANGERS.YOUR A BIG GIRL YOU SHOULD KNOW.TAKE CARE AND BE SAFE

Thanks! How late would you say? I know in the end I'll have to figure that out on my own, but it'd be nice to hear your opinion.

Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2008, 01:53 PM

20 posts, read 86,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Im from the Bronx. I PERSONALLY know the drug dealers on my block. Heck, I've hunged out with them. Trust me, when you see dudes with north faces, out in the corner just standing around while it's 25 degrees outside.....there dealing.

Harlem has changed. The Bronx has changed. Brooklyn North has changed. Everything has changed. As compared to 1990, no neighborhood is as bad. It does not mean that it is safe.

Some facts:

East Harlem had the highest crime rate in the city.

West Harlem had more crime this past year than the Bronx neighborhoods of Highbridge, Morris Heights, University Heights, Soundview, Fordham-Bedford and Wakefield.

And more crime than the Brooklyn neighborhoods of Crown Heights, Flatbush and East Flatbush.

AND had comparable crime rates to Fordham, Bushwick and East NY.
WELL I HAVE A NORTHFACE AND I USE TO STAND ON THE CORNER IF I WOULD SEE SOMEONE I KNEW OF COURSE NOT FOR HOURS AT A TIME AND IV'E NEVER SOLD DRUGS AND THE BRONX IS ALOT MORE DANGEROUS THE HARLEM ANYDAY

Old 02-11-2008, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlj0405 View Post
Thanks! How late would you say? I know in the end I'll have to figure that out on my own, but it'd be nice to hear your opinion.

Thanks again!
IN THE WINTER YOU SEE LESS PEOPLE OUT BECAUSE OF THE WEATHER BUT ONCE IT GETS WARM YOU WILL SEE POEPLE OUTSIDE ALL THE TIME TOO MUCH. SO JUST YOU KNOW JUST LOOK AROUND AND BE AWARE OF STRANGE PEOPLE. ANYTIME AFTER 1AM I WOULD BE WITH SOMEONE.AND LIKE YOU SAID YOU WILL HAVE TO FIGURE OUT WHAT'S TOO LATE FOR YOU YOU MAY BE TOUGHER THEN ME I HAVE AN AUNT THAT I WORRY ABOUT ALL THE TIME GETTING IN AND OUT OF HER CAR AT NIGHT AND SHE SAYS TO ME I WALK WITH GOD.YOU WILL BE OKAY WALK WITH GOD AND EVERYTHING WILL BE ALRIGHT.

Old 02-11-2008, 02:04 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,049,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MISS EBONY View Post
WELL I HAVE A NORTHFACE AND I USE TO STAND ON THE CORNER IF I WOULD SEE SOMEONE I KNEW OF COURSE NOT FOR HOURS AT A TIME AND IV'E NEVER SOLD DRUGS AND THE BRONX IS ALOT MORE DANGEROUS THE HARLEM ANYDAY
Nope, overall Harlem is more dangerous. East Harlem kills anything in the Bronx....even Mott Haven. West and Central Harlem also have crime rates similar to other neighborhoods there. The Bronx has more bad parts than any other borough.

But I wont argue with you if you think Harlem is safer. I tell you one thing, I was uncomfortable as hell walking down 145th to 135th Lennox Ave.

They both have their spots. They're both bad. I guess I am more comfortable in my own neighborhood.

Old 02-11-2008, 02:11 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,244,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRaZy View Post
Depends where in W Harlem. I def dont wanna live close to the Morningside Heights park and the shelters near by.
Convent near City College is very very nice. I challenge anyone to talk a walk around there and not like that area.

Old 02-11-2008, 02:13 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,244,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Im from the Bronx. I PERSONALLY know the drug dealers on my block. Heck, I've hunged out with them. Trust me, when you see dudes with north faces, out in the corner just standing around while it's 25 degrees outside.....there dealing.

Harlem has changed. The Bronx has changed. Brooklyn North has changed. Everything has changed. As compared to 1990, no neighborhood is as bad. It does not mean that it is safe.

Some facts:

East Harlem had the highest crime rate in the city.

West Harlem had more crime this past year than the Bronx neighborhoods of Highbridge, Morris Heights, University Heights, Soundview, Fordham-Bedford and Wakefield.

And more crime than the Brooklyn neighborhoods of Crown Heights, Flatbush and East Flatbush.

AND had comparable crime rates to Fordham, Bushwick and East NY.
Yeah but what kind of crimes? You gotta be careful with stats bruh. All kinds of stuff gets classified as crimes.

Anyone with any kinda common sense knows crown heights and Soundview are much more dangerous than West Harlem.

Old 02-11-2008, 02:15 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,860,382 times
Quote:
I guess I am more comfortable in my own neighborhood.
In a nutshell that is it. There are the longtime neighborhood residents of West Harlem and there are other newcomers that are attracted to the cheaper rents in comparison to further downtown and things don't look too bad to them.

As Miss Ebony has pointed out it's winter time now, no one is outside. As soon as spring hits the neighborhood will look entirely different. The walk from the train to home and to the supermarket will look entirely different. For this reason most new comers don't last, even in those luxury condo buildings. They come and they move out so fast.

Old 02-11-2008, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Convent near City College is very very nice. I challenge anyone to talk a walk around there and not like that area.
Yeah....even I can't complain. Really nice area.

Old 02-11-2008, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Yeah but what kind of crimes? You gotta be careful with stats bruh.
Yea you have a point. I was just looking at overall crime. But good point.

Old 02-11-2008, 02:17 PM

Quote:
It's between Amsterdam and Broadway. It's one of those small avenues it only runs from 136 to 144. But all the blocks along that stretch are pretty bad for the most part.
YES YOU ARE RIGHT
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City