Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 08:40 PM

6 posts, read 39,962 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My boyfriend and I just found a beautiful, gut renovated apt in west harlem around 147 & amsterdam in our price range and we're taking it. I'm wondering, for anyone who lives in Harlem, what is the latest hour that you would advise a young, medium-built, white female to walk around that neighborhood (ie from the subway stop two blocks to the apt)? Is it advisable for my boyfriend to meet me at the subway past certain times? I've been there at dark but haven't been in the neighborhood really late at night. And is the 1 subway or the A safer or are they about the same?

Also, if you know the area and have some restaurant/deli recommendations, that'd be great. I love Indian/asian/mexican food and cheap is great.

Please don't respond if you're just speculating about the area and have never lived there.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2008, 09:40 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,047,955 times
I dont live there but I go to school at 137th and Amsterdam. On the bus I pass the neighborhood daily, and to tell you the truth I dont like it much. Every corner has a drug dealer or two. Mind you this is from 2-4 pm. I imagine it is much worse at night. West Harlem also had a high crime rate this year, comparable to many of the Bronx neighborhoods. Also too much of a ghetto look for my taste. Graffiti is everywhere and the streets look filthy.

Not a good place. To make sure go when it's really late. Also early because it appears to me that it's 24/7. The 1 train I haven't had any complaints with it. Sometimes there's a bum or two in the train but it's ok.

Old 02-09-2008, 10:09 PM

6 posts, read 39,962 times
super mario,

I appreciate your input, and yes, I agree, parts of that neighborhood do not appear clean or aesthetically appealing, especially when compared w/ other sections of new york. The main thoroughfares esp. however, i'm much less concerned with the aesthetics and more with the safety of my walk from the st. nick/ 145th street station to 147 & amsterdam or from the 1 station at night.

Again, thanks for the input. If there are any young men or women who live in this neighborhood and have experience with the walk at night, please post! And if you have restaurant info!

Thanks again!

Old 02-09-2008, 10:19 PM

How late at night?

Old 02-09-2008, 10:20 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,243,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
I dont live there but I go to school at 137th and Amsterdam. On the bus I pass the neighborhood daily, and to tell you the truth I dont like it much. Every corner has a drug dealer or two. Mind you this is from 2-4 pm. I imagine it is much worse at night. West Harlem also had a high crime rate this year, comparable to many of the Bronx neighborhoods. Also too much of a ghetto look for my taste. Graffiti is everywhere and the streets look filthy.

Not a good place. To make sure go when it's really late. Also early because it appears to me that it's 24/7. The 1 train I haven't had any complaints with it. Sometimes there's a bum or two in the train but it's ok.
Mario, what the hell blocks you be on. Amsterdam around there has very little graffiiti. Convent is extremely clean and Amsterdam is pretty clean for the most part. That neighborhood is really a mostly safe neighborhood. I lived there for about 15 years, before I moved to the Bronx. The area was in bad shape when my family first moved there, but over the years it has improved drastically. The worst areas are in Hamilton Place, St. Nick and Broadway can be a bit shady at night. Otherwise, Amsterdam, Riverside, and Convent are mostly fine.

To the OP the walk from the st nick train station is usally safer at night, because there is a police precinct right in the 145th st nick train station. So you might wanna take the A/D more at night. The 1 train walk can be a little more dangerous as there is a bad element around at night in 145th and Broadway. But hey I had plenty of drunken late-night walks from both stations in the last few years and nothing ever happened nor did I see any crimes happening.

I like that neighborhood, my main knock on it was the lack of services and diversity shopping wise around there. There aren't too many supermarkets, there are like no fruit/vegetable shops, no major office supply or electronics chains (besides a radio shack) around either. Oh and the gym around there sucks too.

Last edited by NooYowkur81; 02-09-2008 at 10:41 PM..

Old 02-09-2008, 10:30 PM

NooYowkur,

There is a lot of graffiti. ESPECIALLY on Amsterdam. Wether it is the iron gates, a building or a lamp post, there is plenty in Harlem.

EveryScape - New York, NY

That is a cool website. Go to 147th and Amsterdam and tell me you cant see graffiti there. Also gotta love the loiterers down the block in the afternoon.

Old 02-09-2008, 10:54 PM

Dude there's always graffiti on the shop gates, but those things are up for most of the day, that doesn't count. Your making it seem like the area is bombed out in graffiti, when it really isn't.

There are murals on the side of that school and by where the post office is, around 146/147th by Amsterdam.

Last edited by NooYowkur81; 02-09-2008 at 11:16 PM..

Old 02-09-2008, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Dude there's always graffiti on the shop gates, but those things are up for most of the day, that doesn't count. Your making it seem like the area is bombed out in graffiti, when it really isnt'.
No but gates aren't suppose to have graffiti. There's areas where gates are clean. Amsterdam has graffiti on buildings too. I think it was 144th but in the area. I'l take a picture next time im going to school to show you what I mean.

Amsterdam is up there for visually ghetto strips in the city IMO.

Old 02-09-2008, 11:02 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,859,850 times
You can walk from the A train pretty late and you will be ok because people work late shifts and walk up the hill. After midnight I wouldn't do it alone.

There are a lot of new restaurants on Amsterdam between W 150th and W 143rd. Mostly serving Spanish (Mexican, Dominican, Peruvian, and Ecuadorian), American, and Jamaican foods. There are no Asian unless you consider that Chinese take out Asian, and there are no Indian restaurants up there.

The best deli is C-Town supermarket on Bway between 145th and 146th St. In a pinch the bodega on the corner of 147th and Amsterdam is pretty good, its open 24/7.

C-Town on Bway and W 150th has a better shopping selection but no deli.

The neighborhood is still rough but has come up a lot. You will be ok.

Old 02-09-2008, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
No but gates aren't suppose to have graffiti. There's areas where gates are clean. Amsterdam has graffiti on buildings too. I think it was 144th but in the area. I'l take a picture next time im going to school to show you what I mean.

Amsterdam is up there for visually ghetto strips in the city IMO.
Amsterdam is mostly fine up around there. If you wanna see ghetto around there, walk the Hamilton Place strech from about 137 to 142 when you get a chance. Just be careful Mario.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City