Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2016, 11:38 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,048,637 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Yeah this dude is obviously trying to imply that Asians are inherently superior or something. It's enough enough to him that we're essentially praising the Asian work ethic, we must accept Asians as being innately superior?
Praising? My b""t it's praising. Praising would be just that they got in and deserve it. Not making up stuff based on stereotypes for why they have some sort of special advantage because there isn't. And then using that as justification for why it's OK to discredit their achievement. E.g they're just robots, no creativity, etc. If you don't think that's racist then so be it.

Actually, plenty of non blacks are against stop and frisk, myself being one of tbem.

You're in minority or else there would have been outrage over this long ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2016, 11:39 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Yeah this dude is obviously trying to imply that Asians are inherently superior or something. It's enough enough to him that we're essentially praising the Asian work ethic, we must accept Asians as being innately superior?

Actually, plenty of non blacks are against stop and frisk, myself being one of tbem.
Yet at the same time clearly he is not superior and has no recognition either academically or professionally. So he wants to blame his situation on "discrimination" while at the same time dismissing people others when they point out historical discrimination against Black.

But discrimination simply means to treat different. He is being treated different, because of socioeconomic status that he is in denial of.

There are a lot of wealthy, talented Asians at top universities. He isn't one of them.

Old 03-10-2016, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebyz View Post
Praising? My b""t it's praising. Praising would be just that they got in and deserve it. Not making up stuff based on stereotypes for why they have some sort of special advantage because there isn't. And then using that as justification for why it's OK to discredit their achievement. E.g they're just robots, no creativity, etc. If you don't think that's racist then so be it.

You're in minority or else there would have been outrage over this long ago.
There is outrage about this among NON BLACKS now, enough for it to be a major political issue. Both Hillary and Bernie are promising criminal justice reform.

Part of the reason is stop and frisk caught a lot of young Blacks carrying weed. So if these non violent weed users are arrested and imprisoned, that costs taxpayers massive amounts of money. NY has decriminalized marijuana and even made medical marijuana legal. Some states have completely legalized marijuana.

Stop and frisk is tied to certain other movements that many non Blacks support (drug legalization).

Old 03-10-2016, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Yet at the same time clearly he is not superior and has no recognition either academically or professionally. So he wants to blame his situation on "discrimination" while at the same time dismissing people others when they point out historical discrimination against Black.

But discrimination simply means to treat different. He is being treated different, because of socioeconomic status that he is in denial of.

There are a lot of wealthy, talented Asians at top universities. He isn't one of them.
There you go again Mr Cornell when did I say that there's no discrimination against blacks. I'm lucky I was never treated as inhumanely as black people. At the end of the day I'd rather not have money nor an education than be subject to despicable acts of cruelty. But this doesn't change the fact that Asians are being discriminated against albeit in more subtle ways.

I may not have gone to an ivy, but at least it's considered the top few dozen schools. And so what if I did it doesnt mean anything to anyone. Who the heck goes around forums claiming superiority based on the school they went to.

Last edited by bumblebyz; 03-10-2016 at 12:00 PM..

Old 03-10-2016, 11:53 AM

Quote:
There is outrage about this among NON BLACKS now, enough for it to be a major political issue. Both Hillary and Bernie are promising criminal justice reform.

Part of the reason is stop and frisk caught a lot of young Blacks carrying weed. So if these non violent weed users are arrested and imprisoned, that costs taxpayers massive amounts of money. NY has decriminalized marijuana and even made medical marijuana legal. Some states have completely legalized marijuana.

Stop and frisk is tied to certain other movements that many non Blacks support (drug legalization).
There is only outrage because blacks made an issue out of it and black votes matter. I don't think it was done in the kindness of their hearts. But in the end its the results that matter.

When I got caught smoking a joint back in the 90s by a cop I was just told to throw it away. So I have no issues with people smoking it if they want to. But just watch the damage this will do to certain groups. Marijuana is an addictive drug that can have detrimental effects on people especially the youth. Somehow there's no one pointing this out. Legalize with caution. This can disportionately affect certain groups more.

Old 03-10-2016, 11:54 AM

436 posts, read 565,160 times
Quote:
The vast majority of notable Ivy Leaguers you've heard of have graduate and/or professional degrees from the Ivy League or other top schools. The politicians or judges have Ivy League law degrees, and the CEOs have Ivy League MBA degrees. The notable scholars have Ivy League or other top phds or MA's. The artists have Ivy League MFA's.

For poor people who don't have spectacular undergraduate records (along with research, letters of recommendation from quality people in academia or in the workforce) or much in the way of financial resources, an Ivy League bachelors can be a big cut off.

But back to undergraduate, I knew a person who has an English BA from Cornell who had written articles published by the New York Times when he was in high school. So even undergraduate is extremely competitive and relevant high school internships,volunteer programs, and activities out of school can help tremendously.

I'm well aware of the stuff you said in the first paragraph but it doesn't take away from my point of grad being different from undergrad in a handful of ways. I'd argue that most Ivy League schools are overrated for undergrad actually. They really shine as professional and research institutions.

As for the rest, not everyone at an Ivy League is some kind of spectacular student or person. Your experience with Cornell is as a grad student but mine is as an undergrad and there were plenty of people whom I wouldn't consider anything special, and I didn't even account for the legacies, athletic recruits, and people with other connections. Most people were simply well-prepared before they entered as students, which goes back to an original point of this topic about economic and social backgrounds of blacks and latinos.

Old 03-10-2016, 12:05 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,632,098 times
Quote:
Seems that way.

Quote:
Me too (not surprising I'm sure).

Old 03-10-2016, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebyz View Post
There you go again Mr Cornell when did I say that there's no discrimination against blacks. I'm lucky I was never treated as inhumanely as black people. At the end of the day I'd rather not have money nor an education than be subject to despicable acts of cruelty.

I may not have gone to an ivy, but at least it's considered the top few dozen schools. And so what if I did it doesnt mean anything to anyone. Who the heck goes around forums claiming superiority based on the school they went to.
I do not claim superiority. I bought it on up this thread and other threads because of people like you claiming that all underrepresented minorities have to do is apply to college and they get in and get to go to college for free because they are underrepresented minorities. That is COMPLETELY false top universities have no scholarships for underrepresented minorities and are extremely expensive. Most of their students do not get full financial aid and a huge percentage pay in cash or have to take out student loans. Among that big group of wealthy people at top universities are wealthy Asians.

I even gave you an example of an Asian guy who got rejected his first time applying to the Ivies (he had little money or other things on his background then). He formed his successful company and got accepted into YALE for his MBA and he graduates this year. This is an example of a very talented man, and this type of person can attend wherever they want. He also did not give up after his initial rejection. He attended UCLA, got his bachelor's, got into medical school there all while expanding his business. Ivies are pretty competitive. There are other things that can help with admissions (letters of recommendation from recognized scholars, research and other activities, etc). Btw there are high school students who have engaged in research.

Harvard has 40,000 people or more applying per year for maybe 2,000 undergraduate slots. They can afford to be picky and cherry pick the applicants.

Old 03-10-2016, 12:06 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,653,832 times
This thread has been off topic for a while already. The mod may come in and lock it up.

In 2017, the same topic will come up again. And then again in 2018 unless something change drastically. 9 Blacks and 14 Hispanics are admitted to Stuyvesant in 2016, stay tune next year.

Old 03-10-2016, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacier Azure View Post
I'm well aware of the stuff you said in the first paragraph but it doesn't take away from my point of grad being different from undergrad in a handful of ways. I'd argue that most Ivy League schools are overrated for undergrad actually. They really shine as professional and research institutions.

As for the rest, not everyone at an Ivy League is some kind of spectacular student or person. Your experience with Cornell is as a grad student but mine is as an undergrad and there were plenty of people whom I wouldn't consider anything special, and I didn't even account for the legacies, athletic recruits, and people with other connections. Most people were simply well-prepared before they entered as students, which goes back to an original point of this topic about economic and social backgrounds of blacks and latinos.
If you're a spectacular student you'll get in, undergrad or grad. Or if you're wealthy and I have been consistently speaking about people whose parents DONATE to the university (obviously this includes legacies).

The average white and the average Asian doesn't get in, could not afford to pay, and might not be able to keep up with the pace of work. Cornell was my undergrad school btw.

I also don't think undergrad is THAT different from grad these days.

Wealthy people also do stuff like study abroad, have artistic training, have more money for a wider variety of sports, all of which looks good on applications and makes one stand out as an applicant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City