Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2016, 06:58 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,237,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbullnyc View Post
Prove it? How did you find out its $1600 today, meaning that for 3yrs an apt in midtown has only gone up 100 bucks? Show us all online with a link. In case you dont know, im a real estate agent and if something in midtown is priced at that amount i wouldve known about it.

Im not arguing that people cant live off of 60k cause that really is easy to do actually even at $1600 rent. What im arguing or curious about is that price for a midtown apt. I would easily apologize to you if im incorrect.

Theres another agent on these forums (berniekosar) who is very knowledgeable as well. Wish he would chime in.
I know the person who lives there thats how I know. It's not registered on street easy or I would show you. It was a small studio I'm talking like 250 sq feet. My whole point to that was to say to the OP that you can live off of less than 60K not so much about what an apartment is priced now.

And yes I am well aware of you being a broker, I also know about 10 people who are as well. But the best deals are not found by ya'll
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2016, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
If you lived there til 12/2012, then you must have signed the lease 12/2011 or even 12/2010 or 12/2009, which makes it 4, 5 or 6 years ago that a lease was signed for that particular amount. You seem to be expending a lot of effort to prove how cheap an apartment in Midtown could be very recently. I don't get your agenda.

Just because you lived somewhere at a certain price in a certain year has no bearing on what the market rate is for a similar unit today.

Market rates is what should be discussed when trying to help people to understand where they might be able to afford an apartment. Why would you want to lead someone to believe they will find the "needle in the haystack" apartment? That's just as bad as bait and switch. At the very least it's misleading.
Actually you totally misinterpreted my post it was not to say how cheap you can find an apartment in manhattan it was to say how you can live off of not much money in nyc. People act like if you don't make 80 plus a year you can't afford this city. My whole point was you can. Yes apartment prices have gone up in 3 years but other costs haven't that much so sure your yearly rent may be a bit more than 3 years ago but you can still live in nyc on a lot less than 60K.
I also did point out that there are apartments to find that are still reasonably priced because people act like everything in Manhattan is at least $2000 a month for a studio and that not the case.. It just takes a lot of work.

Old 03-11-2016, 07:22 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,930,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
Actually you totally misinterpreted my post it was not to say how cheap you can find an apartment in manhattan it was to say how you can live off of not much money in nyc. People act like if you don't make 80 plus a year you can't afford this city. My whole point was you can. Yes apartment prices have gone up in 3 years but other costs haven't that much so sure your yearly rent may be a bit more than 3 years ago but you can still live in nyc on a lot less than 60K.
I also did point out that there are apartments to find that are still reasonably priced because people act like everything in Manhattan is at least $2000 a month for a studio and that not the case.. It just takes a lot of work.
I agree and know many people who do this.

Old 03-11-2016, 07:33 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
Quote:
Ok, sorry I misinterpreted you. I guess when you were emphasizing the point about how it was only 3 years since you lived there that I thought you were aiming for a particular agenda I've seen on this board before where people say "you can live in a certain neighborhood for a certain very low X amount... if you look hard enough" where in fact that may be true, but not everyone is going to be the lucky renter who finds the special deal.

I do agree that it doesn't take as much money to live in NYC as some people want to claim. Rent is definitely the thing that sucks up the most money.

I was once in a very depressingly dark and tiny studio in a huge apartment building not far from Macy's in Herald Square and I would not even pay $1600 to live there. I wonder how much it goes for today.

Old 03-11-2016, 08:49 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,774,713 times
Quote:
I know the person who lives there thats how I know. It's not registered on street easy or I would show you. It was a small studio I'm talking like 250 sq feet. My whole point to that was to say to the OP that you can live off of less than 60K not so much about what an apartment is priced now.

And yes I am well aware of you being a broker, I also know about 10 people who are as well. But the best deals are not found by ya'll
Now it makes sense that you might have been more of a SRO than an actual studio at that price range you shouldve had a full bathroom and half kitchen. You're right not everything is posted around, like theres a few "studios" or more of just a single room with a half kitchen and shared bathroom for 1200-1675 that is in the 40's. Landlord likes for certain people to say its a studio but its really more of a SRO.

Looks like i will disagree with you again lol as in manhattan theres more off market stuff that brokers get than say queens and brooklyn where word of mouth is much stronger among landlord, tenants, etc than brokers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I was once in a very depressingly dark and tiny studio in a huge apartment building not far from Macy's in Herald Square and I would not even pay $1600 to live there. I wonder how much it goes for today.
Hmm was it a security guard building on 30 or 31st btwn broadway and 5ave, if so those are more rooms than studios and last time i showed on was in 2013 and a studio was 1825, half kitchen but full bathroom.

Old 03-12-2016, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbullnyc View Post
Now it makes sense that you might have been more of a SRO than an actual studio at that price range you shouldve had a full bathroom and half kitchen. You're right not everything is posted around, like theres a few "studios" or more of just a single room with a half kitchen and shared bathroom for 1200-1675 that is in the 40's. Landlord likes for certain people to say its a studio but its really more of a SRO.
No it wasn't an SRO. I do know several people though who have and still do live in one. An old co -worker has one in chelsea for $900. She has to share the bathroom but with just one other person.

This was an actual apartment, my own bathroom and own mini kitchette. It was just a small studio. . Only thing I didn't have was an oven.
I'm too old to be sharing bathrooms, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City