Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2016, 07:18 PM

38 posts, read 53,929 times

Advertisements

How about this city does something special for those who blow cigarette smoke in your face, or those who litter butts all over the sidewalks. Everyone puts up such a fuss over guns and other bull**** when more people die each year from cigarettes. Those butts don't decompose and are harmful to the planet.

How interesting, that the mass media launches a campaign several decades ago to remind people that cigarettes cause a load of health issues and that second hand smoke kills. Yet, the law refuses to see fit that we shove smokers into a coffin full of all their years worth of puffs. I'm sure they wouldn't mind. No? Well, i'm tired of it.

No one takes this **** seriously. I spoke to my landlord and my super several times about reminding the idiots who live above us to stop smoking cigarettes and whatever else inside, because it travels through our building and air ducts. I call the police because I'm sick and tired of paying $1000/mo to live in nasty ass Brooklyn where I share a building with seemingly trust fund babies and their round-the-clock drug habits. The police tells me they can't help me, I have to call 311.

I call 311, make a complaint and they provide me a confirmation number letting me know my case will be sent to the department of mental health, with no inside information on what actually happens after making this report.

IS IT REALLY ASKING TOO MUCH OF SOMEONE TO HAVE THEM SMOKE OUTSIDE?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2016, 06:54 AM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times
every year thousands die from smoking so what did we do years ago ? we banned artificial sweetners .

Old 03-11-2016, 07:44 AM

436 posts, read 564,791 times
What part of Brooklyn is this? I'm surprised the landlord hasn't seriously threatened them considering there's probably no shortage of other renters for their spots in the apartment.

Old 03-11-2016, 08:03 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,927,870 times
Unless smoking is banned and written in the lease agreement, tenants have the right to do what ever they choose to..

Old 03-11-2016, 08:11 AM

782 posts, read 858,375 times
Certainly smoking is bad....no denying that.

But comparing it to gun violence? Two very different things there. A bit overblown, no?

Old 03-11-2016, 08:23 AM

1,369 posts, read 1,253,030 times
It seems like your landlord is no help, if I were you l would look for another place were smoking is not allow. Second hand smoking
Is not good for your health good luck.

Old 03-11-2016, 05:44 PM

15,580 posts, read 15,650,878 times
This somehow seems like an odd rant in a city that did an awful lot to crack down on smokers.

I believe people are entitled to smoke in their own home. However, when we once had a problem with someone who was such a heavy smoker that it seeped out into the hall, some of us banded together, wrote her a polite note, and suggested she open her window and buy some smokeless ashtrays.

Old 03-11-2016, 07:26 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,924,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepindeed View Post
How about this city does something special for those who blow cigarette smoke in your face, or those who litter butts all over the sidewalks. Everyone puts up such a fuss over guns and other bull**** when more people die each year from cigarettes. Those butts don't decompose and are harmful to the planet.

How interesting, that the mass media launches a campaign several decades ago to remind people that cigarettes cause a load of health issues and that second hand smoke kills. Yet, the law refuses to see fit that we shove smokers into a coffin full of all their years worth of puffs. I'm sure they wouldn't mind. No? Well, i'm tired of it.

No one takes this **** seriously. I spoke to my landlord and my super several times about reminding the idiots who live above us to stop smoking cigarettes and whatever else inside, because it travels through our building and air ducts. I call the police because I'm sick and tired of paying $1000/mo to live in nasty ass Brooklyn where I share a building with seemingly trust fund babies and their round-the-clock drug habits. The police tells me they can't help me, I have to call 311.

I call 311, make a complaint and they provide me a confirmation number letting me know my case will be sent to the department of mental health, with no inside information on what actually happens after making this report.

IS IT REALLY ASKING TOO MUCH OF SOMEONE TO HAVE THEM SMOKE OUTSIDE?

Do you actually live in New York ?!

Or recently moved here. I have heard similar (and similarly ridiculous) rants from people in Colorado and Vermont. Why not go back ? New York is very little like either place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City