Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2016, 02:15 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,039,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I don't know about Chomksy but many of these intellectuals in addition to their credentials have YEARS of EXPERIENCE in their FIELDS.
Im surprised you have not heard of Noam chomsky? Here's an amazing intellectual and think tank.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2016, 02:37 AM

854 posts, read 585,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
De Blasio was the mayor in 2015, and he wanted to IGNORE the HOMELESS problem.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...ople.html?_r=0

The number of street homeless seem to be up from the 311 calls.

But counting the homeless staying in shelters at any one point.

" The city’s shelter population is 10 times the size of other big cities’, largely because New York is one of the few places legally required to provide housing for those without it. There is no question the shelter population has been growing rapidly over the last several years. But why that is happening — and what to do about it — are a matter of dispute."

"2011 Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo cuts the state contribution to rental subsidies, and Mr. Bloomberg dismantles the program. Over the next three years, the shelter population explodes.

2015 After peaking at 60,939 at the end of 2014, the homeless population ebbs for a few months. But last August, it again started to rise."

They specifically cite in 2011 when Cuomo and Bloomberg ENDED a rental voucher program in being a factor why the HOMELESS population exploded. The Times said the homeless population has been growing since last August again.

"The bellwethers of a housing crisis for those at the bottom are apparent everywhere. The number of poor people with staggering rent bills has resumed climbing after a brief respite.

And the schools every year count more students in unstable housing, which includes not only those living in shelters or on the streets, but also those doubling up with relatives."

Okay so an increasing number of people can barely pay their rent, and schools not only count more students living in shelters or in the streets, but those doubling up with relatives as UNSTABLE housing.

Well, of course! In NYC, the rent is too damn high. Everybody knows that. I would expect it to have a massive homeless problem.

Old 03-19-2016, 06:15 AM

14,052 posts, read 13,926,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by torontocheeka View Post
Well, of course! In NYC, the rent is too damn high. Everybody knows that. I would expect it to have a massive homeless problem.
NYC is not for the poor you going get kick out if you are lower income.

Old 03-19-2016, 06:17 AM

19,039 posts, read 13,951,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshd9124 View Post
Everybody who disagreed with my posts please watch this video with an open mind by this very educated White woman explaining systemic racism in very simple straightforward terms.
So what I gather is that unqualified black dudes in their basement are to be ignored when discounting "systemic racism" but unqualified white girls in their basement who agree with "systemic racism" are to be cheered. Hmmm. Exactly who is the racist again?

Old 03-19-2016, 07:33 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,927,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshd9124 View Post
Bruh you are 100% correct I'm actually mad at myself I indulged, but maybe someone whos open minded might read my comments and learn something.
OK, good point.

Old 03-19-2016, 07:51 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,039,952 times
So far Mott Haven has been in the news lately. If the talk isn't about potential gentrification, than it sure is about crime. Lots of shootings and murders have been taking place in Mott Haven this past year. I kind of put the blame on the warm winter we have had so far on the increase of violence in the area. On some of the streets the NYPD had to install flood lights that are gas powered. Also not to say anything racist or what not. I notice plenty of black youths in the area with nothing better to do. One I noticed this, it started to change my perception of the world and realize things are facilitated and governed by systemic means. I wish I can help with these guys find some sort of employment, but plenty of liberal employers do not hire folks with misdemeanors. I remember reading some data that nearly 2/3 or 3/4 of crime in Mott Haven are committed by African Americans who make up 1/3 of the population. I said to myself wow that's insane.

http://bronx.news12.com/news/video-s...ven-1.11590501

http://bronx.news12.com/news/bouncer...lub-1.11540791

https://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/201...form-nypd-says

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.2555332

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/19/ny...here.html?_r=0

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.2540639

What is every going on in Mott Haven. I have to remain vigilant at the same time being concerned for my well being. I urge Transplants to postponed moving to area until the crime rate dies down or maybe if next year a cold winter can damper on crime. Lets not forget, three cops have been shot in Mott Haven this past year.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 03-19-2016 at 08:03 AM..

Old 03-19-2016, 07:54 AM

7,906 posts, read 7,882,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
I think it's mostly patrolmen's union hype. They don't like this mayor clearly and they want to apply pressure to him. If you are constantly being told in your union meetings that things are terrible and your mayor has to go of course it's going to influence you. The city does not feel more dangeours to me. I do feel the city is "sloppier" now than it has been in prior years. There is more tolerance of low level offenses and QOL issues and for me that is a real concern. For instance on Fordham road the 3 card monty games have come back with a vengeance.
this could be it. deblasio for some reason unbeknownst to us, was under fire, as soon as he became mayor. this hate seems contrived. a group of people, don't like him, and made fetch happen

Old 03-19-2016, 09:04 AM

8,936 posts, read 4,764,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by campers View Post
It does feel more dangerous. Yesterday I took a friend to JFK and took the E train back home and the Jamaica station where I have been plenty of times in the past a few years ago, while never a paradise, looked totally out of control. There was a dangerous looking gang holding court by the metrocard booth eyeing people homicidically, and plenty of skanky looking folks sitting around smoking very strong smelling pot blowing it creating a cloudy atmosphere. I mean I know pot now is considered unharmful and healthy and everything by a lot of idiots but god the place stunk. No cops around or anything. If ever a place needed a cop or a wardon or something it was that place yesterday evening.
I've noticed that too. The deterioration of the subway stations. Say what you will about Guiliani or Bloomberg but at least the city was clean, neat & tidy when they were mayors. Now, the subway stations are filthy (not 70's thru late 80's filthy) but filthy nonetheless with garbage strewn about & the homeless residing.

Old 03-19-2016, 09:15 AM

8,936 posts, read 4,764,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
What train lines?

I take the D,F, 6, and 4 lines on a regular basis and nothing much has changed.
The N train, the 1 line, and the 7 train stations in the midtown area have become smelly, filthy, and not as safe as before DeBlasio.

Old 03-19-2016, 10:31 AM

857 posts, read 1,200,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
So far Mott Haven has been in the news lately. If the talk isn't about potential gentrification, than it sure is about crime. Lots of shootings and murders have been taking place in Mott Haven this past year. I kind of put the blame on the warm winter we have had so far on the increase of violence in the area. On some of the streets the NYPD had to install flood lights that are gas powered. Also not to say anything racist or what not. I notice plenty of black youths in the area with nothing better to do. One I noticed this, it started to change my perception of the world and realize things are facilitated and governed by systemic means. I wish I can help with these guys find some sort of employment, but plenty of liberal employers do not hire folks with misdemeanors. I remember reading some data that nearly 2/3 or 3/4 of crime in Mott Haven are committed by African Americans who make up 1/3 of the population. I said to myself wow that's insane.

Video shows man being shot 3 times near preschool in Mott Haven | News 12 Bronx

Bouncer shot outside Mott Haven nightclub | News 12 Bronx

https://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/201...form-nypd-says

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.2555332

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/19/ny...here.html?_r=0

Man, 20, shot and killed outside Bronx park - NY Daily News

What is every going on in Mott Haven. I have to remain vigilant at the same time being concerned for my well being. I urge Transplants to postponed moving to area until the crime rate dies down or maybe if next year a cold winter can damper on crime. Lets not forget, three cops have been shot in Mott Haven this past year.

I have a hard time believing that considering theres tons of puerto rican and dominican youths doing the same thing there and throughout the south bronx......maybe if u were talking about morrisania or the part of soundview thats mostly project buildings i could believe it more.....im not attacking you or what your saying, i just question it. Plus mexicans have a heavy presence in the area so im sure mexican cartels are active in the area now.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City