Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 04:14 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,902,326 times

Advertisements

DeBlasio should have never softened up on stop and frisk, and the decriminalizing of everything. He should have been extra agressive on policing. Now ratchets are running around rampant. Stabbings are up due to SpotShotter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2016, 04:23 PM

31,934 posts, read 27,038,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raveneye217 View Post
He started in 2013, so I presume election happens next year?

Soon as the POTUS race is over in November New York City residents and whoever will start taking interest in the 2017 mayoral and city council races. Look for things to pick up say after January of the new year.

At least five city council seats are term limited out. Debbie Rose and IIRC a few others should have been gone by now but the "fix" Bloomberg and Quinn created to get around term limits protected them some how.

De Boob has been out to the Rock (Staten Island) more times in the last year than I think Bloomberg was his entire mayoralty. *LOL* Clearly the man knows he must shore up support outside of Manhattan in order to keep his job.

Stringer certainly has his eyes on Gracie mansion. But as he won't be term limited out until another term doubt if he'll take on the current mayor now. In fact the race to watch probably will be 2021 when basically all city wide elected offices will be term limited out.

Old 03-15-2016, 04:50 PM

12,199 posts, read 7,236,035 times
Didn't De Boob run on the platform of eliminating S&F?

Old 03-15-2016, 05:03 PM

2,678 posts, read 1,702,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluttereagle View Post
Progressives are generally anti-cop and soft on crime. That has long-term consequences, which we are just beginning to see. We have been down this path before with disastrous results, so I hope that voters wake up and vote these progressives out of office.
Crime rates have actually declined from decades earlier. Crime rates also always fluctuates.

Also what no one is mentioning, a huge heroin epidemic is sweeping the nation but i think it's concentrated more in suburbs outside of inner cities, whereas crack cocaine epidemic of the 80s and 90s largely hit poor urban areas. Not sure what affect this will have on cities.

As for the homeless, lots of homeless were around during Bloomberg, but people only seem to be noticing or highlighting this fact for some reason now that a different mayor is in office.

Old 03-15-2016, 05:07 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,973,821 times
Cops should not be afraid of danger. If I am paying them, I want guys who run to and into and at, whatever every one else is running away from.

Old 03-15-2016, 05:33 PM

31,934 posts, read 27,038,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Cops should not be afraid of danger. If I am paying them, I want guys who run to and into and at, whatever every one else is running away from.

This ain't no 1970's television cop show like Kojak. That bit only works if you know the brass and mayor will have your back. Today's NYPD are second guessed by the mayor, city council, newspapers, minorities and everyone else who wants to run their mouths.

Why knock yourself out if all you will get for your efforts is Al Sharpton bad mouthing you in the media or have to listen to "black lives matter" or whatever.

Again do what you have to do, do your twenty and out.

Old 03-15-2016, 05:45 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,936,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
Stats for homelessness may be up but that doesn't necessarily translate to more homeless on subway cars.
Furthermore, more homelessness is being reported which doesn't necessarily mean that there are more homeless.

Exactly.

I take the 1 and the ABCD, basically a daily basis, and do not see more homeless on the trains.

I actually live here and therefore have experience from which to offer an opinion.

Old 03-15-2016, 05:47 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,936,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxx View Post

As for the homeless, lots of homeless were around during Bloomberg, but people only seem to be noticing or highlighting this fact for some reason now that a different mayor is in office.

"For some reason" is the thing.

I would guess, on the neutral side, that homelessness has been opened to the rigorous quantification process that has been the case for many other things.

Old 03-15-2016, 07:22 PM

615 posts, read 449,203 times
Can't blame the men in blue for passive policing ... you asked for it, you got it!

I know the bums are back, begging, at street intersections.

Haven't seen that in two decades.

Old 03-15-2016, 07:32 PM

3,955 posts, read 5,083,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
This ain't no 1970's television cop show like Kojak. That bit only works if you know the brass and mayor will have your back. Today's NYPD are second guessed by the mayor, city council, newspapers, minorities and everyone else who wants to run their mouths.

Why knock yourself out if all you will get for your efforts is Al Sharpton bad mouthing you in the media or have to listen to "black lives matter" or whatever.

Again do what you have to do, do your twenty and out.
This is everyone in every public sector position now.

Receptionists, Teachers, Politicians-

Now that FOIA is so widely accessed, and no one is willing to risk their career to protect someone underneath them- you have to be 100% on your best behavior at all times if you're publicly paid.

There was an officer at a gas station I was at a few nights ago who was cursing up a storm with a buddy in the grocery aisle. I gave him a look and reminded him there's a certain decorum one must present themselves with as a public officer. There was a look back of '*********, but it's clear you could make trouble'.

NYPD sometimes throws their weight around, and I wonder if this administration will bash them for the sheer amount of years Bloomberg did to educators.

They've got a challenging job, but it's the job they so chose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City