Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2016, 10:32 AM

11,568 posts, read 12,585,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
Ahhh. So that's what happened to Duane Reade. I remember the Duane Reade of old. They had better deals, prices and their Reward points were less stingy.
I hate Duane Reade now that Walgreens has taken over. They don't carry many things that I used to buy there. Walgreens is not as good as it used to be either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2016, 11:18 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,033,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
Ahhh. So that's what happened to Duane Reade. I remember the Duane Reade of old. They had better deals, prices and their Reward points were less stingy.
Duane Reade's prices seem insanely high. I avoid them. I try to get similar products in places like Target.

Old 03-19-2016, 01:00 PM

15,488 posts, read 15,472,081 times
Thanks, Bugsy. This is something I've been brooding about lately.

While I wouldn't claim to be in a "food desert," I'm going farther and farther in recent years for reasonably priced groceries.

Old 03-19-2016, 01:33 PM

31,657 posts, read 26,531,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Thanks, Bugsy. This is something I've been brooding about lately.

While I wouldn't claim to be in a "food desert," I'm going farther and farther in recent years for reasonably priced groceries.

YW

Have found am turning more into my mother or grandmother when shopping; having to go to several places instead of just one supermarket to get everything.

Meat, fish and poultry are hit or miss from Associated/ Morton Williams, and DAG on UES. Now that Food Emporium is gone and refuse to shop at Grosstides find myself going to Fairway or Whole Foods depending upon what is needed to round out what one gets from the remaining supermarkets. Milk comes from Rite Aid or Duane Read because it is usually cheaper than supermarket prices unless they are running a good sale. In fact OJ and other dairy items often are cheaper at same place for said reason.

Also go online and look at sale circulars from all local supermarkets to see who has what on special during the week.

If one had less pride would probably start checking out that dumpster diving scene! *LOL*

Old 03-19-2016, 04:08 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,839,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
I confess that I have contributed to this trend of supermarkets going under. I live in Manhattan. I go to Trader Joe's once a week. In addition, I order Fresh Direct every other week. A couple of times a year I go to Costco. Those are all options that didn't exist when I moved into my present apartment in 1992.

A couple of times a week I visit my local Gristede's (very expensive) and Associated (very cramped) to pick up the odd item that I can't find elsewhere. We do have a green grocer's where I buy my salad fixings. But the days of my hauling my shopping cart to Gristede's and spending $150 are gone.
You did not contribute to the trend of supermarkets going under. Gristedes and Associates and severely damaged themselves by not innovating with the times.

Old 03-19-2016, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
It used to be the Korean grocers rule most of NYC, now more and more they are no longer selling groceries but selling hot foods instead. Which makes the Chinese the largest supermarket and grocers in NYC. You won't find that on your yuppie blocks, sorry. Grocery stores only exist where people actually still cook. Millennials get their foods from FreshDirect.
Not in Manhattan. You have to go deep into Queens for that. Manhattan Trader Joes and Whole Foods continue to expand, and this expansion is going deeper into Brooklyn. It will reach Western Queens soon enough.

Old 03-19-2016, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Not so much the "gentry" only, but many professional politicians, union members and bosses, and the usual demographic for NYC these days that feels "threatened"; lower income households.

Loyal Customers Rally, as Supermarket Faces Lethal Lease | chelseanow.com

As the above linked article makes clear that Associated moved to 14th and 8th decades ago when the area was totally different. Now that it is what it is the property owner, as is their right, wants to benefit.

New York City and to an extent NYS has this perpetual problem of dragooning if not outright forcing private enterprise to be part of "must provide for the poor" constitutional mandate.

Not content with basically controlling residential real estate market (and look what that has got NYC), it would appear many in city government want to do the same with commercial real estate as well. That will not end well.
Unless the city comes up with some sort of incentive for the property owner this is all for show. Associated will close at this location but politicians will claim they tried.

Old 03-19-2016, 05:43 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,888,376 times
Quote:
YW

Have found am turning more into my mother or grandmother when shopping; having to go to several places instead of just one supermarket to get everything.

Meat, fish and poultry are hit or miss from Associated/ Morton Williams, and DAG on UES. Now that Food Emporium is gone and refuse to shop at Grosstides find myself going to Fairway or Whole Foods depending upon what is needed to round out what one gets from the remaining supermarkets. Milk comes from Rite Aid or Duane Read because it is usually cheaper than supermarket prices unless they are running a good sale. In fact OJ and other dairy items often are cheaper at same place for said reason.

Aren't dairy things cheaper at Whole Foods ?

Really hate Duane Reade since Walgreen's took over.

Old 03-19-2016, 06:09 PM

31,657 posts, read 26,531,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Aren't dairy things cheaper at Whole Foods ?

Really hate Duane Reade since Walgreen's took over.

Depends on what dairy.

Milk is dirt cheap at Rite Aid, especially when they run sales. Organic ditto even at Duane Reade across the street. Ice cream such as Hagen Daz is also cheap when on sale, the regular price isn't much less than say Associated, but if am there already....

Beauty of shopping at Rite Aide for staples is you can rack up points faster and thus get coupons and so forth. Associated doesn't have a rewards program, neither does WF or Fairway IIRC.

Old 03-19-2016, 06:47 PM

520 posts, read 597,341 times
Quote:
I've told ya; Food Emporium is gone, defunct, history, pushing up daisies, dead....

Key Food purchased the brand name via bankruptcy court and is using it on some of the former FE locations it got via that process as well.

Key Food top bidder for Food Emporium banner | Retail & Financial content from Supermarket News

EV Grieve: Report: The Union Square Food Emporium will become a Key Food

Food Emporium sold as A&P heads to final checkout | The Villager Newspaper

Besides Union Square the FE in the Trump building on 68th and Third which was also purchased by Key Food is now their version of Food Emporium.

Guess Key Food thought FE sounded more upscale for certain Manhattan areas.
This is correct. It got a bit odd at first because it was re-branded and called Marketplace, or something to that effect. Next thing I know, I see Key Food brands on the shelves. I ask the cashier, and she said it's going to stay a Food Emporium in name only. Regardless, I probably will still never warm to the place. I just never liked that space for some reason. I only shop there for seltzer and milk when the line at TJ's is out the door.

Last edited by Gramercy; 03-19-2016 at 07:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: