Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2016, 09:26 AM

575 posts, read 672,514 times

Advertisements

I almost always use Northside Car Service to and from Williamsburg to any local airport, though it's usually JFK.

Yesterday, i called Northside 15 minutes before I wanted picked up. I got put on hold for 15 minutes and was starting to freak out as I had an international flight. It was raining and not a cab in site. A relative tried to get thru on her phone but it was busy.

Close to panicking now, I hit the Uber App. Surge pricing, for the first time ever for me after about 3 years. My $42 normal ride was $187. 3.5 times the Uber rate of $53 based on time & distance. By this time I was totally out of options, other than missing my flight, which was international.

In the past I called at night to order a car for the morning and Northside always said, "Just call us 10-15 minutes early and we will have a car there in 5-10 minutes. I didn't even think of booking online but you can bet I will never again rely on calling them for a car. My sisters were visiting last week and used Northside every where they went. And were thrilled with the great service.

Just a heads up for you car service users. And Uber users.

Did I say OUCH?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2016, 09:29 AM

436 posts, read 565,160 times
And this is why it's never a good idea to use livery to get to one of the airports.

Old 03-15-2016, 09:42 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,616,935 times
I generally always take mass transit to the airports which has thus far proven to be remarkably reliable. However, I know the issue if you have too much luggage. I tend to pack pretty light in relative to most people, so my experiences might be a bit biased.

Old 03-15-2016, 10:59 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
I live 10 minutes from LGA by livery cab. So far cab is most reliable. It would take me 2 hours to get to LGA by bus via m60 to the terminal. However 2.50 vs 40.00 is a huge price difference. You get what you pay for.

To JFK airport. It takes 30 minutes by livery cab on a traffic free day. Rush hour to JFK is a nightmare. Instead I opt for for subway to air train which takes 90 minutes to JFK terminals.

Old 03-15-2016, 04:08 PM

3,672 posts, read 2,751,519 times
I used Uber Line just a week ago to get from uptown Manhattan to Laguardia. It was 5:30am on a nice morning. We had to pick someone else up along the way. It cost me $17.

If I have a trip that will cause me to go to the airport during a busy time, I pre book Carmelo or Dial 7 the day before and always upgrade one car up (then you get a clean car and nice driver and it only costs $5 more than the **** house). I have never had any trouble.

Old 03-16-2016, 05:16 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
In Queens, the local car service companies usually do a good job for a decent price getting me or any of my guests to either JFK or LGA. When it is an early morning flight, I also book/reserve the car the prior night before I go to sleep.

When my brother & his daughters visited last summer and I went to meet them (using public transportation) at JFK. Going to Queens we decided to take a metered yellow cab for the 4 of us as it would be equivalent to paying for the Airtrain + subway for 4 people. My brother checked Uber and the estimate was higher than the metered yellow taxicab fare.

Old 03-16-2016, 06:24 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,085,355 times
Sounds like poor planning on your part. You should have made your reservation the day before. Every time, i need to go to the airport for a personal or business trip i schedule my transportation needs the day before. It's either SuperShuttle or Carmel. 2hr before pick up i call Carmel to make sure the driver didn't cancel or they don't have drivers available.

You live and learn but big tiddays always win!!!!!

Old 03-16-2016, 06:57 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,357,387 times
I always call the day before a trip. And all of the places around me pretty much have flat rates to the airports. ($40ish dollars.)

Old 03-16-2016, 08:25 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,561,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TotalKaos View Post
I almost always use Northside Car Service to and from Williamsburg to any local airport, though it's usually JFK.

Yesterday, i called Northside 15 minutes before I wanted picked up. I got put on hold for 15 minutes and was starting to freak out as I had an international flight. It was raining and not a cab in site. A relative tried to get thru on her phone but it was busy.

Close to panicking now, I hit the Uber App. Surge pricing, for the first time ever for me after about 3 years. My $42 normal ride was $187. 3.5 times the Uber rate of $53 based on time & distance. By this time I was totally out of options, other than missing my flight, which was international.

In the past I called at night to order a car for the morning and Northside always said, "Just call us 10-15 minutes early and we will have a car there in 5-10 minutes. I didn't even think of booking online but you can bet I will never again rely on calling them for a car. My sisters were visiting last week and used Northside every where they went. And were thrilled with the great service.

Just a heads up for you car service users. And Uber users.

Did I say OUCH?
Just book it the day before. Problem solved.

Old 03-16-2016, 08:31 AM

4,294 posts, read 4,428,857 times
(777) 777 -7777 Tel Aviv Car Service.

You book the day before. Whatever idiot told you to call 15 minutes before for an international flight.....was an idiot.

When you need to get to the airport you either put up $ or shut up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City