Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2016, 09:14 PM

387 posts, read 512,141 times

Advertisements

OP needs to stop over-analyzing everything and pretend like he holds some kind of special unique insight in the world. People like you keep stomped on by society because you care too much..

Old 03-17-2016, 09:23 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,099,919 times
If you get that upset by a "rude" forum post then stay where you are. NYC is not for you. You don't get special treatment here for whatever "suffering" you may have gone through.

Old 03-17-2016, 09:26 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiffaNYC View Post
Hey CD-NYers:

For those of you who weren't born in NYC--who moved here from somewhere else, to follow a dream, or a job, or a love, or whatever the case may be--if you have a positive moving-to-NYC story to share, I would really love to hear it.

If NYC has changed you for the better--helped make you stronger, happier, healthier, more successful, made you hone and become the best at your art or career, anything like that, and you can share your experience and story with me, I'd be very grateful. I really need to hear some positive stories and I need some hope right now, so please, if you have a good story, lay it on me!

(And please, no snide/snarky/mean remarks - I'm trying to get over and recover from an abusive/domestic violence-ridden relationship, depression, and PTSD. I'm already down enough, so I ask anyone who might think about being rude or negative to please refrain... thank you )

Wnyc has a podcast about this. The podcast is about the phenomenon about non native new yorkers who moved here. Nearly all the commentators and those who called him all had positive comments about NYC.

Old 03-17-2016, 09:41 PM

607 posts, read 602,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vall View Post
If you get that upset by a "rude" forum post then stay where you are. NYC is not for you. You don't get special treatment here for whatever "suffering" you may have gone through.
I would never ask for special treatment because of what I've been through. Is asking people to not be rude, or to be kind, asking for special treatment? If you think so, then I don't know what to say--we'll agree to disagree. I'm a tough person, extremely resilient--but I do place great value in being kind and treating others as I'd like to be treated. I won't change that, and it's not a weakness by any means. It's weak people who treat others like sh*t for no reason.

Old 03-17-2016, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Wnyc has a podcast about this. The podcast is about the phenomenon about non native new yorkers who moved here. Nearly all the commentators and those who called him all had positive comments about NYC.
Thanks for that, Bronxguy. Thanks for being helpful - it's appreciated! I'm going to check that out.

Old 03-17-2016, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vall View Post
And you should thank your lucky stars you've never experienced someone you loved trying to kill you - to mock someone who's been through that, or trivialize such an experience is despicable.

Old 03-17-2016, 09:59 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,616,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiffaNYC View Post
Thank you for the reply! That's awesome to hear :] . How long have you lived in NYC now? Was it really tough at first, or did you make a fairly easy transition?
Total of about 6 years split between two periods. The only tough thing was getting over the death of my first girlfriend, but through just living here I came to absolutely love it. My grandfather was from Manhattan (who I never met as he died in '62 to the Polish mob in Chicago, nearly 30 years before I was born) and my father was from Chicago. It's a shame as I could have been a native and not dealt with this 'transplant' stuff if that 60 year gap didn't happen, but I digress.

I didn't find it hard and still don't. The only thing that I have to put more effort into is groceries which is negligible for the most part. Everything else is just easier to me. I had a wall AC there, I have a window AC here; I had to drive 40 mins to do my laundry there, I can get it picked up at my door or drop it off on my block here; etc. It's just so much more fun here and I'm in a situation where I'm actually paying less rent than I would have there at a much higher pay grade in a smaller space which is what I've always been aiming for: ie downsizing. I liked losing my car and all the expenses associated with it, it lowered my overall expenses by around $600~700/mo.

It all depends, NYC isn't for everyone. I didn't even come here for the city, I came here for a girl and I stayed (and came back) for the city, people, food, money, etc. It's the place I feel like my family should have never left and I'll be damned if I have to leave again haha.

Old 03-17-2016, 10:01 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,099,919 times
I'm not mocking you. Just telling you the truth. Doesn't matter what I have or haven't experienced.

Old 03-17-2016, 11:02 PM

387 posts, read 512,141 times
OKAY WE GET IT. You've been through alot OP. Haven't we all? That's called life. You will not get sympathy from New Yorkers, don't expect to be treated softly just because your whining for attention, you entitled slob.

You're just a fish in the giant ocean, (human in New York), nothing makes you unique. You're just an urban hipster transplant in everybody's eyes.

You seem better off in SnobsDale, Arizona.

Old 03-17-2016, 11:07 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,300,923 times
I moved here from another country 16 years ago. I moved for better opportunities (career/school etc) and to be closer to family. Initially lived with family for less than a year to save money, find a job and get acquainted with NYC. 7 months later I decided I was confident enough to strike out on my own.
I found a ****ty paying job with a long commute and an appartment that ate up 2/3 of my income. But I was living happy!! My first apartment ! In NYC at that.

Then 5 months later the company went bankrupt . Luckily I was saving religiously. I had enough money to cover 6 months of expense and I was also recieving unemployment.

What do you know 2 months later I found another job. I was back to loving NYC. I was younger than 25. I traveled alot. (One of the main reason why I elected to live in NYC). Partied hard. I was skinny and fabulous and the world was my playground. Met some amazing friends.

Fast forward 4 years later I met my now husband and fell in love. Decided to slow it way down and start doing the adult house , career etc.

Now I have a wonderful career that I truely enjoy. A husband that I am nurturing to be my bingo partner when we are old. A house with the picket fence (or retaining wall). Six figure salary. And kick ass memories.
This all happened in a 10 year span. I can truely say moving to NYC was the best decision of my life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: