Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2016, 12:59 PM

7 posts, read 3,833 times

Advertisements

Does anyone else know of the man who stands on the corner of DeKalb and Knickerbocker and screams and yells all day, whistles over and over, and now blasts music from a boom box in a basket all day long? It is unending and unnerving, especially for those of us who work from home or others who might just be home all day and cannot escape it. Local police will not do anything, and 311 is useless. Apparently it is legal to behave like this man, but there must be some kind of violation of noise pollution and quality of life?

Does anyone know how to address something like this? When I've asked him kindly to stop screaming and stop blasting music, of course, he gets defense and gets belligerent and hostile. If he wasn't screaming all day, every day, it would be just another part of city noise, but because it's all day, almost every day, and so jarring as he screams, and now he's added music on top of it, it is just too much.

I've lived in NYC for 30 years, so I know how to endure noise and I expect noise, but this is just so invasive and violating.

I would appreciate any insight or help into how to handle a situation like this?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by OrbitBoy3000; 03-18-2016 at 01:04 PM.. Reason: confused first post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2016, 08:36 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,774,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitBoy3000 View Post
I've lived in NYC for 30 years, so I know how to endure noise and I expect noise, but this is just so invasive and violating. .
Are you sure? LOL. Where have you lived all those years that were noise free. How long have you lived in this area now?

Old 03-19-2016, 02:41 PM

1,369 posts, read 1,253,985 times
Maybe he's just another mentally ill homeless person. Be careful when confronting him, he might slash your face and then what?
If 311 and the cops aren't doing anything about it. Maybe after a while he'll relocate.

Old 03-20-2016, 07:14 AM

544 posts, read 1,238,126 times
i would totally mind my business . Certainly don't approach him. Call 311 enough ( keep the reference numbers) and go into the local precint to see what can be done

Old 03-20-2016, 12:09 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,315,174 times
I think it is safe to assume that your 30 years living in NYC wasn't in Bushwick. Living in NYC for any amount of time doesn't prepare you for Bushwick. Best bet is to move, and this time do some research before doing so.

Old 03-20-2016, 12:40 PM

3,672 posts, read 2,751,519 times
Purchase a BB gun. Take random shots at him throughout the day. He'll move on.

Old 03-20-2016, 01:02 PM

3,062 posts, read 7,034,491 times
Here's a coupon for a free sandwich, but it's 7 miles away.

Old 03-20-2016, 09:19 PM

1,253 posts, read 1,564,506 times
It is what it is.....

Old 03-23-2016, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbullnyc View Post
Are you sure? LOL. Where have you lived all those years that were noise free. How long have you lived in this area now?
*sigh* I'll bite. I never said I lived anywhere noise-free. At all. I love most of the noise. It's life. All of that is very different from a single person violating an entire neighborhood with an assault on the senses that lasts for hours on end day after day. Very different. If you've not experienced it, then you might not understand the difference. It's rare to have one person dominate a neighborhood, which is why I think it might sound silly.

Old 03-23-2016, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanniebaby7 View Post
Maybe he's just another mentally ill homeless person. Be careful when confronting him, he might slash your face and then what?
If 311 and the cops aren't doing anything about it. Maybe after a while he'll relocate.
No, he's not homeless, and I don't think he's mentally ill, but I do think he might be alcoholic. He lives down the street and has a whole pigeon roost on his roof that causes a lot of problems for his neighbors, but he spends his entire day on the corner screaming and whistling and sometimes blasting music. When I asked him to stop screaming, he said he likes to hear his own voice. He seems like a nice enough guy, but the screaming is just so weird and unnerving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City