Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 10:20 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,911,437 times

Advertisements

I've been interested in going to this neighborhood, since I really like Whitestone and Bayside, but how safe is it? According to UrbanDictionary.com, there are alot of gangs there and the neighborhood is one of the worst in the city. I find this hard to believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2008, 10:23 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,042,151 times
College point is not dangerous. It seemed suburban to me. I like it. But then again, im from the Bronx.

Old 02-10-2008, 11:07 PM

1,121 posts, read 6,552,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
According to UrbanDictionary.com, there are alot of gangs there and the neighborhood is one of the worst in the city.
You used that website as your reference?

Oh boy... in that case, yeah it's the worst of the worst.

Old 02-10-2008, 11:12 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,911,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 009 View Post
You used that website as your reference?

Oh boy... in that case, yeah it's the worst of the worst.
Not really, but there isn't alot of info around the web about College Point, and I don't wanna go into a neighborhood I know absolutely nothing about asides from its location and wind up not walking out. I was also a little confused as to how that area could be dangerous, considering some of the neighborhoods it borders are some of the safest in the city.

Old 02-11-2008, 10:16 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,873,403 times
Going back many years College Point was considered kinda white trashy, especially by the folks of Malba & Whitestone. I guess it was beacuse many of the houses were small, bungalow style houses and it was on the other side of the hwy.

I haven't been there in a few years but the last time I was there it looked as if there were quite a few Hispanic families moving in. Can anyone confirm. With all the big box stores & the shopping malls opening around there I assume it is much more crowded. I remember the club Metropolis used to get a wild crowd with alot of fights, kids & screeching cars.

Old 02-12-2008, 02:03 PM

1,990 posts, read 7,631,837 times
That part of Queens is safe. No subway lines goes through there so areas like College Point, Little Neck, Bayside, etc has a more suburban feel.

Old 02-12-2008, 02:27 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,623,185 times
I don't think I ever heard College Point associated with Gangs and been called one of the worst neighborhoods in NYC before! Could these posters be joking with their posts? Here is that link.

Urban Dictionary: College Point

Old 02-12-2008, 02:39 PM

1,990 posts, read 7,631,837 times
"College Point"could be a reference to an area near or in Atlanta, Ga. I should know. I love my rap music. Besides, I never heard of College Point, Queens having a high crime rate. Maybe some E-Thugs trying to make their area look like the next Jamaica.

Old 02-12-2008, 02:47 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,994,339 times
Back in the 1980's this area was 99% white. Things did start to change in the 1990's. College Point in the 1990's was the home of TCS which means the crime syndicate, a crew of working class whites with a few Latin Americans teens. This crew emerages from DWS which was the street crew from the late 1980's Noted bombers like Clas, Shorty140 and Cade pushed the TCS crew up all over the five boros from their College Point base. These College Point teenagers hung out, drank forties in Chizims park, went bombing together , stuck together for their own protection and ruled the neighborhood.

There was no American McDonalds franchise type gangs back then, so I am not sure if you can believe the Urban Dictionary. Back then people had the creativity and freedom to make their own gangs and did not have to franchise out to the Bloods or whatever. Someone had the balls to open a Papa Johns Pizza next to the legendary Amore Pizza so maybe the homogenized dull American Suburban culture is leaching in. Even back then in the 1990's it was a very gritty working class area, isolated by the Whitestone Expy, the ruins of Flushing airport and the industrial area near the waterfront. However it was not a welfare slum but filled with working people and perhaps a few daytime drunks. Every corner had a pub on it back in the 1980's/1990's it was more like a small mining town in Pennsylvania. It is not out of the question that College Point could disintegrate into the depths of slumhood as it is not an attractive area to gentrify. It is industrial, has poor to nil public transit, a working class legacy and the housing is old single family bungalows through most of the area.

Last edited by samyn on the green; 02-12-2008 at 02:56 PM..

Old 02-12-2008, 04:27 PM

34,017 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkCity0416 View Post
"College Point"could be a reference to an area near or in Atlanta, Ga. I should know. I love my rap music. Besides, I never heard of College Point, Queens having a high crime rate. Maybe some E-Thugs trying to make their area look like the next Jamaica.
i think you mean college park, ga

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City